blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1553 1554 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 1560 1561 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610610 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #23340 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »

Wasn't it a case that 90% of Schools in the U.K started assembly with a prayer in the mid eighties? The statistic comes from a report I read on the boom of faith schools in the late 90's can't seem to find it online.

In my catholic school in the seventies, we went to mass every morning plus "benediction" on friday afternoon, and the sunday mass as well.  So seven church services a week.

If it turns out that my atheism is misguided, I'm going to claim that I am still in credit from my schooldays.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23341 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »

Wasn't it a case that 90% of Schools in the U.K started assembly with a prayer in the mid eighties? The statistic comes from a report I read on the boom of faith schools in the late 90's can't seem to find it online.

In my catholic school in the seventies, we went to mass every morning plus "benediction" on friday afternoon, and the sunday mass as well.  So seven church services a week.

If it turns out that my atheism is misguided, I'm going to claim that I am still in credit from my schooldays.

So did you believe it at the time and turn to atheism later, or were you always a heathen?

For the record I'm an atheist but if I could choose, I think I would choose to believe.

The older I get, the better I was.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #23342 on: October 08, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

Cliffs from last week.

Before she went for her op, I removed the wedding ring from Mrs Red's finger. It was exactly 36 years to the day since I put it on there.

A few hours later, I put it on again.  Smiley

Leicester police had a gun amnesty. "Bring in your illegal firearms, no questions asked" they said, so I did, and they grilled me like a kipper.

I went for some acupuncture. A lady told me to remove my trousers and lie on my belly. Then she stuck 8 needles into my left buttock, brought me a hot drink and left me alone for half an hour. When she returned she said "Oh, you didn't drink your coffee". I was tempted to ask her how the Hell I was supposed to drink coffee while lying on my belly with with 8 needles in my arse, but I thought better of it.

How's Mrs.Red now...and how's your butt?

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23343 on: October 08, 2013, 11:27:25 AM »

Cliffs from last week.

Before she went for her op, I removed the wedding ring from Mrs Red's finger. It was exactly 36 years to the day since I put it on there.

A few hours later, I put it on again.  Smiley

Leicester police had a gun amnesty. "Bring in your illegal firearms, no questions asked" they said, so I did, and they grilled me like a kipper.

I went for some acupuncture. A lady told me to remove my trousers and lie on my belly. Then she stuck 8 needles into my left buttock, brought me a hot drink and left me alone for half an hour. When she returned she said "Oh, you didn't drink your coffee". I was tempted to ask her how the Hell I was supposed to drink coffee while lying on my belly with with 8 needles in my arse, but I thought better of it.

How's Mrs.Red now...and how's your butt?

Mrs Red & my butt both in great shape tyvm.

Mrs Red = Loquacious.

My butt = Luscious.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23344 on: October 08, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

Thinking about it, those descriptions could be reversed and they would still be true.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #23345 on: October 08, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »

So did you believe it at the time and turn to atheism later, or were you always a heathen?

For the record I'm an atheist but if I could choose, I think I would choose to believe.

Not quite sure - I just didn't think about it really.  I would imagine many "believers" are the same.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23346 on: October 08, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »

Not quite sure - I just didn't think about it really.  I would imagine many "believers" are the same.

I din't know of course, but I suspect not.

I think most atheists were probably once believers, especially as youngsters, but not so many of those who started out as atheists become believers.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #23347 on: October 08, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Hi Tom,
            I have had a few Atheists 'swear to God' that van is a good un when selling it to me  Smiley

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23348 on: October 08, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Lol.

God helps those who help themselves Ade.

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #23349 on: October 08, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »

I think most atheists were probably once believers, especially as youngsters, but not so many of those who started out as atheists become believers.

Reading this made me think back to when I was at Junior School (1994-1998).  It certainly wasn't a religious school, just a standard village / small town kind of place with roughly 200 children.  Every assembly used to end with a prayer and stories from the bible we often read out.  I'm pretty sure I remember us doing prayers at the begginning / end of the day too (sometimes).

I did have a christening when I was baby but thinking back, I don't think I ever believed any of it was real.  When I listened to the stories in the bible readings that's all I thought they were.  I never once remember believing that any of the things in the bible actually happened.  It's interesting cause I always thought of myself as a Christian when I was growing up but looking back, I think it's more because I was told that's what I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #23350 on: October 08, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

Thin: 1994-1998.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #23351 on: October 08, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »

Thin: 1994-1998.

Surprisingly, I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23352 on: October 08, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »

Mine was March - June 1964

BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #23353 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »

In my catholic school in the seventies, we went to mass every morning plus "benediction" on friday afternoon, and the sunday mass as well.  So seven church services a week.

Think so too...

I was brought up with a strict religious discipline even though my family are mixed, so I'll always believe unless I see some sort of conclusive scientific evidence to the contrary..  

Even though I was raised in the way I was, I was always taught to question, so that's why I don't believe in any singular religion but do believe in "God" and try to keep within universal "Good Karma"

In a way my belief sometimes keeps me out of trouble, it especially did when I was younger.

Now I have two kids; a daughter ( from the ex wife) 13 and a son ( with my Current partner) of 15 months.  My daughter has been raised as a Hindu but at a very early age we had the conversation about religion, her mom and I, taught her to question and not to take the word of others when it comes to our family beliefs, today she calls herself a non practicing Hindu (her words) but like me and her mom believes in Karma. But while I was married both me and her mother attended the Hindu temple once a week and also practiced some of the rituals at home.

My son however is going to be brought up in a slightly different way, neither his mom or I practice any religion openly, we don't do anything really that we could call a religious practice, so he'll be brought up without any religion bar the whole Karma thing...

So I think his Schooling will have a huge impact on the way he views religion, I'm not sure how I feel about this at present but time will tell..

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:39:41 PM by BangBang » Logged

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23354 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

In my catholic school in the seventies, we went to mass every morning plus "benediction" on friday afternoon, and the sunday mass as well.  So seven church services a week.

Think so too...

I was brought up with a strict religious discipline even though my family are mixed, so I'll always believe unless I see some sort of conclusive scientific evidence to the contrary..  

Even though I was raised in the way I was, I was always taught to question, so that's why I don't believe in any singular religion but do believe in "God" and try to keep within universal "Good Karma"

In a way my belief sometimes keeps me out of trouble, it especially did when I was younger.

Now I have two kids; a daughter ( from the ex wife) 13 and a son ( with my Current partner) of 15 months.  My daughter has been raised as a Hindu but at a very early age we had the conversation about religion, I and her Mom taught her to question and not to take the word of others when it comes to our family beliefs, today she calls herself a non practicing Hindu (her words) but like me and her mom believes in Karma. But while I was married both me and her mother attended the Hindu temple once a week and also practiced some of the rituals at home.

My son however is going to be brought up in a slightly different way, neither his mom or I practice any religion openly, we don't do anything really that we could call a religious practice, so he'll be brought up without any religion bar the whole Karma thing...

So I think his Schooling will have a huge impact on the way he views religion, I'm not sure how I feel about this at present but time will tell..

What a revealing and insightful post.

I can't say I really understand it as a religion, but I have a lot of time for the whole Karma thing. I mean, what a great concept. Be nice, do good things, and good things will come to you in return.

Is that about right?

Pages: 1 ... 1553 1554 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 1560 1561 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: