blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1572 1573 1574 1575 [1576] 1577 1578 1579 1580 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587213 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23625 on: November 11, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »

Mrs Red & I, along with other members of the Gypsy community, were invited to march at the Cenotaph again yesterday to commemorate the Gypsies who fought in both world wars.

It's such a moving ceremony, and it really is great honour and privilege to be asked to attend.

Like everyone who was not in uniform, we had armbands to say who we were representing, and it was wonderful to see the surprise on the faces of the spectators when they saw who we were.

This is the third consecutive year that we have taken part in the parade, but this is the first time we have been mentioned in the commentary.

You can catch a brief glimpse of us at 1:53.03, (That's me in the yellow shirt pushing the wheelchair) and hear our mention at 1:53.25.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03hw8n1/Remembrance_Sunday_The_Cenotaph_2013/

Wonderful, Tom. You must both have been very emotional, & proud.

Really Good...Well Done Tom

Cheers Fraser.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23626 on: November 11, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »

How proud you must have felt. x

I really was Maureen, I never thought I would see the like in my lifetime.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23627 on: November 11, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

Our group at the Horse Guards parade ground after taking the salute from Princess Anne.

Click to see full-size image.

How tall is that fella on the right of the photo?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #23628 on: November 11, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »

Our group at the Horse Guards parade ground after taking the salute from Princess Anne.

How tall is that fella on the right of the photo?

VERY! 

And very well done Tom.  Delighted for yourself and Mrs. Red.  x

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23629 on: November 11, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »

He's quite short when he takes his hat off.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #23630 on: November 11, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »

Ignorant question. Is the tall man in some form of uniform?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #23631 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »

Mrs Red & I, along with other members of the Gypsy community, were invited to march at the Cenotaph again yesterday to commemorate the Gypsies who fought in both world wars.

It's such a moving ceremony, and it really is great honour and privilege to be asked to attend.

Like everyone who was not in uniform, we had armbands to say who we were representing, and it was wonderful to see the surprise on the faces of the spectators when they saw who we were.

This is the third consecutive year that we have taken part in the parade, but this is the first time we have been mentioned in the commentary.

You can catch a brief glimpse of us at 1:53.03, (That's me in the yellow shirt pushing the wheelchair) and hear our mention at 1:53.25.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03hw8n1/Remembrance_Sunday_The_Cenotaph_2013/

Must be a great feeling Tom. I watched this yesterday right up to 1:52. Who was in the wheelchair Tom?

The man is Pete Mercer MBE. He isn't wheelchair bound, but you are on your feet for over five hours during the parade and it's more than he can manage now.

He is currently Chairman of the National Federation of Gypsy Liaison Groups. I've printed some info from the web below.

Pete Mercer MBE lives with his family on the local authority Travellers Caravan site in Peterborough. He is the General Secretary of the East Anglian Gypsy Council and British representative on the International Romani Union Praesidium.

For twelve years Peter worked for Peterborough City Council as Traveller /Gypsy Liaison Officer. Peter worked with the Commission for Racial Equality in pressing for, and obtaining a legal judgement declaring Roma/Gypsies as a racial minority.

For many years he has provided training for the British police on Gypsy/Traveller issues, and is still acting as a lay adviser to the Central Police Training and Development Agency (CENTREX). He was awarded the M.B.E. (Member of the British Empire) for his work in Traveller/Gypsy education over many years.

Peter has been involved in working with European Roma/Gypsies for over fifteen years. He shares his experience and expertise in the areas of community development, equal opportunities, Roma/Gypsy empowerment and Roma/Gypsy participation at all levels. Since the mid-1990s Peter started working with European Dialogue and was the Chair of the Roma Rights and Access to Justice in Europe Programme

He is a "former Lance Corporal with the Duke of Wellington Regiment who served in Cyprus. His father was wounded at Dunkirk and he has two sons serving with the Grenadier Guards."

Bejaysus he's a busy man. Well done all. Really pleased the rain stayed away made for a beautiful day.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23632 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »

Ignorant question. Is the tall man in some form of uniform?

The tall man is Romany Gypsy Kerry Hawkins. His father served in Aden.

Kerry is wearing his fathers blazer with service medal. (If you wear a medal of behalf of someone else, you must wear it on your right breast).

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23633 on: November 12, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

Wd Tom, fantastic effort. I also went to the Remembrance Parade where i live but,much to my shame, it was the first one as a civvy. I even dressed up for the occasion.

I've now joined the Royal Air Force Association and I'm off to the monthly meeting Wednesday to introduce myself. I'm also going to get my 2 medals 'court mounted' and get myself an RAF Beret so that next year I'll feel appropriately dressed.
We will remember them.

You scrubbed up well!

We'll be expecting those beret & medals pics next year.
Naturally. I've also decided a blazer is in order to complete my parade outfit. Just have to decide on what badge to have sewn on. Options are 7 Sqn, Royal Air Force or the R.A.F.A. one. Decisions,decisions,decisions.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23634 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

So if we were the allies, why were they called the axsis forces?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23635 on: November 13, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »

Did anyone watch the JFK:The Lost Bullet documentary on Nat Geo last night?

It featured several home movies of the assassination that have now been digitally enhanced. The deal was amazing, you even got to see never before seen footage from between the frames of the old 8mm film that a projector doesn't show.

If you missed it, look out for a repeat, it's excellent.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23636 on: November 13, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »

I also Sky +ed a documentary called What Happened When - Berlin Wall.

I can't wait to watch that one.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23637 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

We had the first real frost of the year last night, seen here beating a hasty retreat as the sun's rays advance across the lawn.

I love bright frosty days.

Come to think of it, I love most kinds of day.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #23638 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

Have you ever heard of Jane Elliot? She's a middle aged white American who does a special class on racism.  This is part two of "The Angry Eye" and I'd be interested to hear your take on her teaching...

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #23639 on: November 13, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »

So if we were the allies, why were they called the axsis forces?

From Wikipedia:

The term "axis" is believed to have been first coined by Hungary's fascist prime minister Gyula Gömbös, who advocated an alliance of Germany, Hungary, and Italy. He worked as an intermediary between Germany and Italy to lessen differences between them to achieve such an alliance.  Gömbös' sudden death in 1936 while negotiating with Germany in Munich and the arrival of Kálmán Darányi, his non-fascist successor, ended Hungary's initial involvement in pursuing a trilateral axis. The lessening of differences between Germany and Italy led to the formation of a bilateral axis.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 1572 1573 1574 1575 [1576] 1577 1578 1579 1580 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: