blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1614 1615 1616 1617 [1618] 1619 1620 1621 1622 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3604027 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24255 on: April 20, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »

Last night at the poker table, Glen, (Nirvana) and I got in to a conversation about what happiness is, and what you need to achieve it.

I was thinking about our conversation on the way home, and I remembered something I read a couple of years ago.

This morning I hunted around on Google and found it again. It's supposed to be a true story. Whether it actually is or not doesn't really matter.

It's a bit cheesy, but the message is a good one.

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.

One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs.

His bed was next to the room’s only window.

The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end.

They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation..

Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake.

Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats.. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine this picturesque scene.

One warm afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by.

Although the other man could not hear the band – he could see it in his mind’s eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days and weeks passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep.

She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.

Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside.
He strained to slowly turn to look out the window besides the bed.

It faced a blank wall.

The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.

The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall.

She said, ‘Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you.’

There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.

Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24256 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »

There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.

Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.

Superb, & oh so true.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #24257 on: April 20, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »

As well as the tale's own 'moral of the story' it's a pretty good allegory for the best things in life being free.

My daughter moved away a few months ago with MY grandson. It's only an hour and a half but it means I see them every 2-3 weeks rather than more often. The last time I saw the lad was 3 weeks ago and at that time he was taking a few tentative steps and stumbles.

Yesterday when I arrived he immediately, I mean really immediately,  made 8 or 9 steps at some pace towards me with his hands stretched up for me to pick him up.  Pure joy :-) I could have cried quite easily.

Anyway, I have one, you have SIX. I can't imagine how rewarding that must feel. We're very lucky, blessed whichever way you look at it.

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24258 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »

Quote from: Junior Senior link=topic=63628.msg1930343#msg1930343 sg1930343 date=1398087573
I have been a member for ten years but only clocked up 55 days

That's still a lot of trolling..

Bugger off! Go and post me a nice bird picture in your diary. I like them

The early bird.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #24259 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

Lovely. I never understood why in bird life the female of the species are so dull compared the their male counterpart. Maybe the men folk need to be vibrant and bright to attract a mate. Still a lovely female blackbird there Tom
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24260 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »

Lovely. I never understood why in bird life the female of the species are so dull compared the their male counterpart. Maybe the men folk need to be vibrant and bright to attract a mate. Still a lovely female blackbird there Tom

Being dull and inconspicuous is a big advantage for females, especially when sitting eggs.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24261 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »

This is the male in a sort of mirror image pose.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24262 on: April 22, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »

While I was playing poker yesterday a lad put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a bag containing a single Cadbury's mini egg. Unable to share it with 8 other people, he instead added it to the pot as a bonus for the winner of the next hand.

Everyone limped, the bb raised and everyone called. It turned into the biggest pot of the night and one player went bust with middle pair and a missed flush draw.

Roll Eyes

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #24263 on: April 22, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »

While I was playing poker yesterday a lad put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a bag containing a single Cadbury's mini egg. Unable to share it with 8 other people, he instead added it to the pot as a bonus for the winner of the next hand.

Everyone limped, the bb raised and everyone called. It turned into the biggest pot of the night and one player went bust with middle pair and a missed flush draw.

Roll Eyes

Poker's come a long way since Rounders.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24264 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »

Think this is the right place for this mini science lesson.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24265 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »

I love mini science lessons.

When it comes to science, I think the under 7s and the over 50s make great classmates.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24266 on: April 23, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

When I'm out and about, I often find myself doing something dirty or unsavoury,  (No making your own jokes up) so I actually keep a pair of gloves in my glove box.

Am I alone?

What do you keep in yours?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24267 on: April 23, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »

Is there any chance this will catch on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27132980

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #24268 on: April 24, 2014, 02:28:02 AM »

Is there any chance this will catch on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27132980

Unfortunately not I think. I gave up my seat on a bus yesterday to a lady, does that count?

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24269 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:10 AM »

Tom,

Just wanted to say that I don't bother reading your Diary these days, it's all WI sort of stuff, & poetry shite, but the 2 blackbird photos are magnificent. You should have posted them on my Diary, imo. 

Blackbirds are in my top ten birds, they have such character. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 1614 1615 1616 1617 [1618] 1619 1620 1621 1622 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: