blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:16:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1695 1696 1697 1698 [1699] 1700 1701 1702 1703 ... 2347 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3641425 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25470 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:28 PM »

Here you go some recent purchases of mine (the photos not the modes of transport)  Smiley

Click to see full-size image.

Any idea where that was taken?

I note the railway track in the background, you can see the semaphore signalling arm & signal box.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25471 on: September 25, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »

Here you go some recent purchases of mine (the photos not the modes of transport)  Smiley

I note the railway track in the background, you can see the semaphore signalling arm & signal box.

Can't be sure, but purchased from a collection in South Yorkshire/Derbyshire.

I've some photos from a family of Midland Railway workers somewhere. I'll try & locate them.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25472 on: September 25, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »

This is where I failed though. The adjusting nut of these is a tiny 4mm, and I just don't have a spanner or a socket that small. (A tappet adjusting tool from honda costs £12 and will take a week to arrive, bugger that).

Ebay is your friend. Probably get next day delivery

This type?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-Tappet-Adjustment-Tool-Z50-Monkey-ST70-C50-C70-C90-/161421004078?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2595710d2e

Or this ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-C50-70-90-TAPPET-ADJUSTER-AND-SCREW-90012-333-000-/161116927970?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item25835137e2

Remember when using feeler gauge to check whether metric or imperial.

Thanks Boo.

The thing in the first link looks like just the ticket.

The thing in the second link is the thing I'm actually trying to adjust. (See the little square end on the threaded bit?)

I've managed it this time with the aid of a decking screw, a bit if rubber pipe, a rawl plug, a pair of reading glasses and a granddaughter.

Thanks for the feeler gauge reminder. Not patronising at all. It's amazing how often those know-it-all grannies make a balls up of sucking eggs.

The older I get, the better I was.
PokerGal
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #25473 on: September 25, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »

Hi, interesting thread you have going here, will follow Smiley
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25474 on: September 25, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »

They have to be Yorkshire lads them.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25475 on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

Hi Mya, welcome to blonde.

23 y/o, female, newbie, posting on the old fogey thread.... Spidey senses.... tingling....

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25476 on: September 25, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

Go back to page one and read the whole thread. I promise that it will be time well spent.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25477 on: September 25, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »

I've managed it this time with the aid of a decking screw, a bit if rubber pipe, a rawl plug, a pair of reading glasses and a granddaughter.

Can't beat a bit of ingi  enginu  ingenuet  improvisation.

im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #25478 on: September 25, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »

Hi Tom,
           Good luck with the tappet adjusting, used to be a big part of servicing/repairs but with hydraulic followers and no contact points in ignition circuits, hardly ever use em now.  Reminds me of a story years ago when an old farmer asked if we could do a particular machining job, and we replied we could do it to the nearest 1000th of an inch, oh bugger that he said, we'll do it ourselves and do it properly !

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25479 on: September 25, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »

Hi Tom,
           Good luck with the tappet adjusting, used to be a big part of servicing/repairs but with hydraulic followers and no contact points in ignition circuits, hardly ever use em now.  Reminds me of a story years ago when an old farmer asked if we could do a particular machining job, and we replied we could do it to the nearest 1000th of an inch, oh bugger that he said, we'll do it ourselves and do it properly !

Hi Ade.

It's been nostalgic and really good fun messing about with machinery that was actually designed to be serviced by humans with spanners. I cant say I miss the passing of contact breaker points and distributor caps though 

I'm just trying to pluck up the courage to attempt cleaning the centrifugal oil filter. Apparently, it's located somewhere amongst the clutch plates.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25480 on: September 25, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »

Probably the same information that you have in your Haynes,but at least you can magnify the images.

http://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36728

Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25481 on: September 25, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

Probably the same information that you have in your Haynes,but at least you can magnify the images.

http://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36728

No that's great Boo, shows it from another perspective. I'm just scared of springs and ball bearings falling out before I can see where they came from.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25482 on: September 26, 2014, 12:09:05 AM »

Well I decided to have a go at cleaning the centrifugal oil filter and it all went Pete Tong.

First of all, I had to remove so much stuff to get at it. Leg guards, side stand, exhaust, kickstart etc, and of course I had to drain the oil.

Then, when I finally got the clutch cover off the thing I feared most happened, a thing with ball bearings and a spring fell out and I didn't see where it came from.

But, after consulting Haynes and watching a YouTube video, I sussed it.

Anyway, I removed another cover to expose the filter and the gasket split. No biggie though, I'd already purchased a full gasket set off eBay.

So I cleaned the filter and started to reassemble everything. That's when I found out that the gasket that I needed was the only one missing from the eBay package.

You used to be able to make your own gaskets from blank sheets of gasket paper that you bought from car accessory shops, but the two that I tried just laughed at me. I eventually found a sheet laying at the bottom of a drawer in a mechanic friends workshop. He said it had been there since the 1960's.

I made the gasket and continued to put the rest of the bike back together, but the exhaust wouldn't fit. Well I say it wouldn't fit, it went back on, but the brake pedal hit when it reached the top of its travel. I couldn't figure it out. Eventually I took the exhaust off again and bent it a little in the vice.

I finally got everything put back and filled it with new oil, then I started it up and the clutch didn't work.

By this time I was thoroughly regretting attempting the job in the first place and wishing I'd never bothered.

It was 7pm when I drained the oil for the second time and started to dismantle everything again. By 11pm I'd managed to  get the clutch working and enough other bits on to try a short test drive. Everything seems OK, I'll put the other bits back on tomorrow.

I have no idea why the clutch didn't work the first time, I followed the instructions meticulously.

I would definitely have been better off paying someone who knew what he was doing to do it. It's only supposed to be a 1 hour job, it took me 13.

(I bet I can do it in 8 next time though).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:12:12 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25483 on: September 26, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »

BTW- My exhaust is now blowing just a tiny bit. I wonder if you can still but Gun Gum?

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25484 on: September 26, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »

The good thing about attempted repairs going wrong the first time that you try them is the fact that you remember where you went wrong if you ever need to do the same job again.
Also gives you more confidence to attempt a roadside repair if it is ever neccessary,if you have previously stripped down a part and come face to face with the parts as opposed to looking at a manuel.

Martin Luther King Jr
Pages: 1 ... 1695 1696 1697 1698 [1699] 1700 1701 1702 1703 ... 2347 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: