blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2063 2064 2065 2066 [2067] 2068 2069 2070 2071 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587609 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30990 on: August 27, 2019, 12:38:25 PM »

Be honest, how many of these did you actually know? I will reveal my score later.

The medical name for a butt crack is “intergluteal cleft”.

People can suffer from a psychological disorder called Boanthropy that makes them believe that they are a cow. They try to live their life as a cow.

The name for the shape of Pringles is called a ‘Hyperbolic Paraboloid’.

There is a McDonald’s in every continent except Antartica.

Mr Potato Head was the first toy to be advertised on TV.

A duel between three people is actually called a truel.

The stage before frostbite is called “frostnip”.

The two tiny holes drilled in every BIC pen is to ensure that the air pressure is the same both inside and outside the pen, which helps the ink flow to the tip.

In South Korea there is an emergency number (113) to report spies.

Japan is facing a ninja shortage. There is a high demand for “ninja shows,” but it is a dying tradition and companies have trouble time finding properly trained ninjas.

The process by which bread toasts is called the ‘Maillard Reaction’.

Snails have 14,000 teeth and some can even kill you!

Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi was not a man in a suit, it was actually a giant puppet.

Sonic the Hedgehog’s full name is actually Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog.

Even though Froot Loops are different colors, they all have exactly the same flavor.

George Clooney did the voice for ‘Sparky’ – a gay dog in South Park.

Most toilet paper sold for home use in France is pink.

Marmite was one of most confiscated items at airports from the U.K. – to overcome this issue, Marmite made smaller ones for traveling.

The human nose can remember 50,000 different scents.

Cards against Humanity bought an island in Maine to preserve wildlife. It is called Hawaii 2.

Daddy longlegs have penises, which technically makes them not a spider.

The television was invented only two years after the invention of sliced bread.
Report this ad

Bullfrogs do not sleep.

The dark region on the north pole of Pluto’s moon, Charon, is called Mordor.

Eight of the ten largest statues in the world are of Buddhas.

In 2015, a silver coin with Superman on the heads side was made which is legal tender in Canada. There was only 350,000 produced.

It took the creator of the Rubik’s Cube, Erno Rubik, one month to solve the cube after he created it; as of June 2018 the world record is 4.22 seconds.

Japanese square watermelons are ornamental plants and are not edible.

Tigers have striped skin not just striped fur. The stripes are like fingerprints and no two tigers have the same pattern.

Ketchup originated in China as a boiled-down brine of pickled fish and spices called ‘ke-chiap’.

In Morse Code -.- means k.

In 2005, a fortune cookie company called Wonton Food Inc. correctly foretold lottery numbers, resulting in 110 winners and an investigation. No fraud was involved.

Two PlayStation 1 games, FIFA 2001 and Gran Turismo 2, has scratch & sniff discs. The FIFA 2001 smelled like a soccer field, while Gran Turismo 2 smelled like car tires.

If you die in Amsterdam with no next of kin, and no friends or family to prepare funeral or mourn over the body, a poet will write a poem for you and recite it at your funeral.

The Himalayan Honey Bee – the largest of the honey bees – makes a hallucinogenic honey that tribes collect.

In 2014, Sony made a cassette tape that can store 185TB of data!

The collars on men’s dress shirts used to be detachable. This was to save on laundry costs as the collar was the part that needed cleaning the most frequently.

The man who found the 5,000 year old corpse Ötzi the Iceman in 1991 (Oldest natural European mummy) was also found dead frozen in ice in 2004.

In 2014, a missing woman on a vacation in Iceland was found when it was discovered that she was in the search party looking for herself.

If you sneeze while traveling at 60 mph your eyes are closed for an average of 50 feet.

Both Nicholas Cage and Michael Jackson shared the same wife, Elvis Presley’s daughter, Lisa Marie Presley.

Alligators will give manatees the right of way if they are swimming near each other.

Crystal – the monkey from The Hangover 2 and Night at the Museum has her own IMDB page!

The “I’m Feeling Lucky” feature in Google search actually cost Google $110 million a year, as 1% of all searches use this feature and bypass all advertising.

Magpies are considered one of the most intelligent animals in the world, and the only non-mammal species able to recognize itself in a mirror test.

Expedia.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire.com, Trivago, Travelocity, and Orbitz are all owned by the same company, Expedia Inc.

Before the term “bloopers” was coined, ‘out-takes’ were called ‘boners’.

Baked beans are actually not baked, but stewed.

Rowan Atkinson – also known as Mr. Bean – is the voice of Zazu in The Lion King.

The most popular item at Walmart is bananas. They sell more bananas than any other single item they have in stock.

Sunsets on Mars are blue.

‘lbs’ comes form the Latin word ‘libra’ which means pound.

The small indents in the bottom of frozen pizzas are there to prevent air bubbles forming inside the dough.

The term ‘footage’ comes from films being measured in feet, when being edited in the early days of film making.

In 2005, Mark Zuckerberg unsuccessfully tried to sell Facebook for $75 million. Back then it was called TheFacebook.

There is an opposite of albino animals, which aren’t white, but black. These are known as Melanistic animals.

Some areas in Scotland and Japan switched to blue street lights at night, and saw a decrease in crime & suicide rates.

The first film with a $100 million budget was True Lies, which was made in 1994.

‘Digging a hole to China’ is theoretically possible if you start in Argentina.

There are cells in human body called Faggot cells which cause leukaemia.

Strawberries can also be white or yellow, and some can even taste like pineapples!

Elephants make friends, bury their dead, travel for ‘funerals’, speak to each other, and show extreme intelligence.

As of 1998, over 50% of Iceland’s population believed in the existence of elves.

The Boston Marathon didn’t allow female runners until 1972.

When watermelons are grilled or baked, they lose their granular texture and can even be used as meat substitute, a ‘watermelon steak’.

James Blunt recorded his first album while living with Carrie Fisher. ‘Goodbye My Lover‘ was recorded in her bathroom!

Some cat breeds (called ‘puppy cats’) are bred specifically to exhibit dog-like behavior.

In October 2015, United Airlines made a man with Cerebral Palsy crawl off one of its flights. The flight attendants just watched as he struggled.

“Bluetooth” technology was named after a 10th century king, King Harald Bluetooth. He united Denmark and Norway – just like the wireless technology united computers and cell phones.

All dogs are banned from Antarctica since April 1994. This ban was made because of concern that dogs might spread diseases to seals.

Hart Island is the final burial place to over a million of New York City’s unclaimed bodies, and thought to be the largest government sponsored mass grave on the earth.

In Slovakia they have Christmas Carp that live in the family bathtub for a few days before they are eaten.

Banks have therapists known as ‘wealth psychologist’ who help ultra-rich clients, who are unable to mentally cope with their immense wealth.

In 1999 hackers revealed a security flaw in Hotmail that permitted anybody to log into any Hotmail account using the password ‘eh’. At the time it was called “the most widespread security incident in the history of the web”.

A small population of Mammoths survived on the Wrangel Island until 1650 BC, about 900 years after the construction of The Great Pyramid of Giza were completed.

The state of Ohio gives out different coloured license plates for those convicted of DUI.

The Flintstones was the most profitable network cartoon franchise for 30 years, that’s before The Simpsons came along.

The University of Minnesota is older than Minnesota the state itself!

In Japan, you are equally likely to die from being struck by lightning as you are from being shot by a gun.

As of 2016, the site MySpace still gets 50 million visitors a month!

C-3PO and R2-D2 had their own 1985 single season 13 episode spin-off TV series called Star Wars: Droids. The season shown the adventures of R2-D2 & C-3P0 before they joined Luke Skywalker.

People don’t sneeze in their sleep due to their brain shutting down the reflex.

If you made $1 every second, it would take you 2,921 years to have more money than Bill Gates (over $92.1 billion dollars).

In 2013 Toy Story was remade shot-for-shot with real toys and real people and can be found on YouTube.

The word “Jurassic,” which we so often associate with dinosaurs, comes from the Celtic word for “forest”.

The brain is our fattiest organ, being composed of nearly 60% fat.

Guy Fawkes is the reason guys are called “guys”.

February used to be the last month of the year, which is why it has the shortest number of days.

Dead people can get goosebumps!

The first film ever shown in the White House was The Birth of a Nation, a pro-white supremacy silent film that the KKK also used as a recruiting tool.

In September 2007, a guy named Kevin Shelley broke 46 wooden toilet seats with his head in one minute to create a world record.

Samuel Jackson has a clause in his film contracts that allows him to play golf during film shoots whenever he wants.

In 1945 the first atomic bomb was created, and was nicknamed “The Gadget”.

For every child born in Wales since April 2014, the Welsh Government have donated a fruit tree to Ugandan families, to celebrate the birth or adoption of every child.

Restaurants can sing ‘Happy Birthday’ now because the copyrights claims are now invalid. Judge George H. King ruled that a copyright filed in 1935, granted only the rights to specific piano arrangements of the music, not the song itself.

Although Australia is home to the largest number of venomous snakes in the world, it averages only one fatal snake bite per year.

Shoe shops used X-Ray machines to measure shoe sizes in the 1940’s before the risks of X-Rays were fully understood.

Iguanas have three eyes. Two normal eyes and a third eye on top of their head that only perceives brightness.

Big Ben (Elizabeth Tower) in London is leaning over so much it can now be seen with the naked eye. In 4,000 years it will be at the same angle as the tower in Pisa is now.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30991 on: August 27, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »

Some of those sound a tad dubious to me Tom, but how many did I already know? Err, 3.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30992 on: August 27, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »

Some of those sound a tad dubious to me Tom, but how many did I already know? Err, 3.

Which ones would you like to call bullshit on? We can do a test Google or ask Geo or something.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #30993 on: August 27, 2019, 06:46:45 PM »

They're all my cousins Mr BobbleHat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

That is something I did know. I see that the moustache gene is strong.

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30994 on: August 27, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »

Yes, especially on the female side.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #30995 on: August 27, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »

Yes, especially on the female side.

Reminds of an old joke;

Why do Greek men grow moustaches? So they can look like their mothers.

Ah! The element of surprise
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #30996 on: August 27, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »

I wore shirts with detachable collars at school for a couple of years - they were compulsory.

I remember those X-ray machines for shoes too - I'd say they were in operation until the early 1960's.

Spike Milligan and Peter Sellars used to have a supply of "special honey" which I thought was made by bees in marijuana fields.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30997 on: August 27, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »

My my brother Tracy once chewed the collar off his duffle coat on the way to school.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30998 on: August 27, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »

On TV just now, Traffic Sargent Julian Pearson of North Yorkshire police, "Cars that fail to stop for the police are often involved in criminality."

Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30999 on: August 27, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »

Very much enjoyed your tale of mower disassembly, which means at least one of us enjoyed it.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31000 on: August 27, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »

Very much enjoyed your tale of mower disassembly, which means at least one of us enjoyed it.

Sigh....

What genius designed it so that you have to remove do much stuff just to get one bolt out?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31001 on: August 28, 2019, 12:17:21 AM »

While we're back on the subject, where do you start looking for a replacement starter motor for a 25 year old mower?

Well I started with ebay, there was a couple of second hand ones on there that were almost but not quite right. (different mountings, longer shaft etc)

Then I tried mower repair places and even new mower suppliers all to no avail, then someone put me on to this place, and what a wonderful experience it was.

Click to see full-size image.

Inside there was an old bloke in bib & brace overalls rebuilding a starter on a bench.

I showed him my knackered starter and he took a pencil from behind his ear and jotted down a few details on a pad.

"Will you recondition mine?" I asked.

"No" He replied waving towards a vast array of shelving, all laden with starter motor and alternator pariphanalia, "I'll make you one up."

That was on the Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday morning, while I was walking the dogs, my phone rang, "Mr Mccready? Your starter's ready."

Not many places like that left now, and no one will be able to fill his shoes when he's gone.

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #31002 on: August 28, 2019, 07:48:58 AM »

While we're back on the subject, where do you start looking for a replacement starter motor for a 25 year old mower?

Well I started with ebay, there was a couple of second hand ones on there that were almost but not quite right. (different mountings, longer shaft etc)

Then I tried mower repair places and even new mower suppliers all to no avail, then someone put me on to this place, and what a wonderful experience it was.

Inside there was an old bloke in bib & brace overalls rebuilding a starter on a bench.

I showed him my knackered starter and he took a pencil from behind his ear and jotted down a few details on a pad.

"Will you recondition mine?" I asked.

"No" He replied waving towards a vast array of shelving, all laden with starter motor and alternator pariphanalia, "I'll make you one up."

That was on the Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday morning, while I was walking the dogs, my phone rang, "Mr Mccready? Your starter's ready."

Not many places like that left now, and no one will be able to fill his shoes when he's gone.

Absolutely brilliant

Characters are disappearing fast unfortunately

I blame these stupid games kids play whilst looking at a screen, most of them wouldn't have a clue how to mend a puncture or change a chain link
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31003 on: August 28, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »

Haha. True dat Trev.

Mind you, Salvador Dali said:

The trouble with the youth of today is, we are no longer part of it.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31004 on: August 28, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »

Very much enjoyed your tale of mower disassembly.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Pages: 1 ... 2063 2064 2065 2066 [2067] 2068 2069 2070 2071 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: