blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 2153 2154 [2155] 2156 2157 2158 2159 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587608 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32310 on: January 06, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32311 on: January 06, 2020, 03:13:08 PM »

May I humbly recommend the America in Colour series on the Smithsonian channel. (Find it on Sky catch up)

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32312 on: January 06, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »

Episode 2, about man-made and natural disasters has some incredible footage.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32313 on: January 06, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »

May I humbly recommend the America in Colour series on the Smithsonian channel. (Find it on Sky catch up)

I only discovered the Smithsonian Channel recently, & it's very good, perhaps better than Discovery Channel. 

Reminded by your Post, I just had a look at tonight's fayre, & it's somewhat disappointing - too much Space shite.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32314 on: January 06, 2020, 06:21:22 PM »

I only discovered the Smithsonian Channel recently, & it's very good, perhaps better than Discovery Channel. 

Reminded by your Post, I just had a look at tonight's fayre, & it's somewhat disappointing - too much Space shite.

The America in Colour series is excellent Tone, stand on me.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32315 on: January 06, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »

I was researching Green Shield stamps today and came across this fascinating bit of information.

For a few years, the scheme was so widely adopted that it was referenced in rock songs. But it suffered when Tesco ceased to use it, as part of a price-cutting policy that became standard nationwide. To retain business, Green Shield allowed customers to buy gifts from the catalogue with a mix of stamps and cash, but soon the catalogue became cash-only, and the operation was re-branded as Argos.

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #32316 on: January 06, 2020, 07:47:14 PM »

Happy New Year Tom. All the best for 2020

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32317 on: January 07, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »

A happy new year to you too Mr Wildman, I'm always glad to hear from you.

Yours is the personification of a life less ordinary. (Even your name sounds like the beginning of an adventure)

I hope things are going well in.... wherever you are now.

Regards, Tom.

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #32318 on: January 07, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »

Apologies to TK if I originally posted about the marvellous products you can buy from sap etc from Birch trees there, I think it was here though so I'd like to continue with a little thread about them.

I looked at the fabric content of a top I got in the Xmas sales (as I do) and I discovered it was made out of wood sourced from Birch trees - other trees such as Beech are available. The top is incredibly soft, lightweight, warm and much better for the environment.  

With clothing production leading the world as one of the highest-polluting industries, a new fiber contradicts the earth-damaging qualities of traditional materials. Ioncell technology, developed at Aalto University and the University of Helsinki, uses a range of materials, including wood, recycled newspaper, cardboard and old cotton to make fabric. This is good news for an environment scarred by cotton production and the development of synthetic fibers. The new and improved material can also be recycled at the end of its life cycle, significantly reducing clothing waste. In a country already acutely aware of sustainable practices in forest management, the trees sourced from Finland offer a much lower carbon footprint than traditional clothing. Ioncell materials also protect the water supply by using ionic liquid in place of harsh chemicals.

While the designers focus on sustainable sourcing and manufacturing, the clothing also avoids contributing to a massive post-consumer waste problem. That’s because the fibers are biodegradable. Additionally, the fibers do not contain any harmful microfibers now associated with massive ocean pollution and damage to sea life.

The wood is responsibly harvested as part of a forest management program that grows more trees than they harvest. Once cut into smaller logs, the wood is sent through a machine that turns it into large chips. At this phase, the chips are sent to the cooker and then turned into sheets of pulp. The pulp is then mixed with the ionic liquid that results in a cellulose material. Fibers are then spun into yarn and turned into fabric.

I took this info taken from Inhabitat who explain this kinda stuff much better than I do! I also found out that fabric has been produced from trees since about 2014 and from an article on BBC News dated 19th December 2018, Finland's first lady wore a dress made from the country's birch trees at a recent state gala.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:15:01 PM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32319 on: January 08, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »

Clothing made from wood? The fashion industry certainly is branching out. I can't wait to see their beechwear.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32320 on: January 08, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »

Clothing made from wood? The fashion industry certainly is branching out. I can't wait to cedar beechwear.

Don't want to cause a rowan the diary, but happy to help the elder blondes Wink

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32321 on: January 08, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »

Clothing made from wood? The fashion industry certainly is branching out. I can't wait to cedar beechwear.

Some people wouldn't appreciate it but this dogwood.

OK, back in your box.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32322 on: January 08, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »

Some people wouldn't appreciate it but this dogwood.

OK, back in your box.

I was going to try to work a Teak-ay pun in, but thought that wood be a face-palm moment.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #32323 on: January 08, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »

A happy new year to you too Mr Wildman, I'm always glad to hear from you.

Yours is the personification of a life less ordinary. (Even your name sounds like the beginning of an adventure)

I hope things are going well in.... wherever you are now.

Regards, Tom.

Thanks Tom , I  am still currently in China for the foreseeable future , enjoying it
I am now into my 11th year as an expat . I came back to the UK for Xmas and managed to catch up with some old friends which was nice but I don’t think I would to live there permanently again.
Hope you are well too mate and I often think about the good times we had in Walsall all those years ago

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32324 on: January 08, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »

Mrs Red & I are toying with the idea of a far East tour this year but we haven't worked out the best way to do it yet.
We're interested in Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand...

We might plump for one of those guided tours that sort everything for you or we might try to do it ourselves. Both options have pluses and minuses.

We are hoping to spend about 3 weeks.

Advice/suggestions much appreciated.

Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 2153 2154 [2155] 2156 2157 2158 2159 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: