blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2152 2153 2154 2155 [2156] 2157 2158 2159 2160 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587927 times)
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #32325 on: January 08, 2020, 03:30:57 PM »

Prob See more on a guided trip.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32326 on: January 08, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »

Mrs Red & I are toying with the idea of a far East tour this year but we haven't worked out the best way to do it yet.
We're interested in Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand...

We might plump for one of those guided tours that sort everything for you or we might try to do it ourselves. Both options have pluses and minuses.

We are hoping to spend about 3 weeks.

Advice/suggestions much appreciated.

What do you want?  beaches, culture, wildlife, snorkelling?  Any preference for country, you could easily spend 3 weeks in any of them alone.  I am pretty averse to tours, though you see a lot, you also don't really see anything. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #32327 on: January 08, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »

Mrs Red & I are toying with the idea of a far East tour this year but we haven't worked out the best way to do it yet.

We might plump for one of those guided tours that sort everything for you or we might try to do it ourselves. Both options have pluses and minuses.

If you are going to go for 3 weeks I suggest you consider visiting no more than 2 countries.  From those you listed I would drop Malaysia and research the other 3 and see what parts fit your interests.  You could easily spend 3 weeks in any one of these countries and only scratch the surface.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32328 on: January 08, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »

If you are going to go for 3 weeks I suggest you consider visiting no more than 2 countries.  From those you listed I would drop Malaysia and research the other 3 and see what parts fit your interests.  You could easily spend 3 weeks in any one of these countries and only scratch the surface.

I wouldn't exclude Malaysia from the decision.  Some of my best trips were in Malaysia.  The Perhentian Islands used to have fantastic snorkelling when I went 20 years ago, and I have fond memories of some place we stayed at in nissen huts in the Cameron Highlands with beetles as big as birds.  I can't speak for now.  More recently we went to Sabah, and though it rained a hell of a lot, the wildlife was spectacular with Oranutans, Probiscus Monkeys and turtle hatching.  I think you definitely do need to go on a tour in Sabah, as the interesting places are off the beaten track and up rivers, so I don't think it is easy by bus (you can bus it from Kuala Lumpur to the Cameron Highlands, and sure you could get a bus up to near the Perhentians),  Sabah definitely isn't cheap though, as lodging and tours definitely seemed expensive for what they were.  There are other more accessible islands, such as Langkawi and Tioman, but I have never been to either (my brother loved Langkawi, but it is different again).  If you want to push the boat out for a night or two, the Mandarin Oriental in KL is probably the cheapest Mandarin Oriental about and was just a fantastic place to stay and had one of the biggest choices of breakfast I ever saw (it is less than £100 a night on some days excluding breakfast, but just get the breakfast).  You'd pay the same for a something very basic in Sabah and not sure you'd even get a travelodge in central London.

I loved Vietnam, but that has definitely changed a lot in 20 years.  From videos, the traffic in Hanoi still seems nuts, but maybe wouldn't be so much of a surprise in the days of youtube.  Halong bay is still going to be spectacular whatever they have built round there.  The food used to be either noodles/noodle soup and the cheapest baguettes on the planet, but things have definitely moved.  Someone on my facebook put up some place where they were eating some of the oddest looking "authentic" vietnamese food for silly money, but sure you can still find the noodle soup places with the plastic chairs designed for 4 year olds and cloudy beer for barely anything.

In Thailand, there is something for all tastes.  You definitely don't need a tour in Bangkok, as most places are easy to get to, and if you want to spend hours looking round the one temple, you can do just that.  There is a seedy side to it, but I have been a few times, and it is easily ignored.  I love Bangkok, I haven't been to India, but it is probably similar in the driving etc.  I don't relly like boxing much, but Muay Thai is worth a trip out.  If you take a tuktuk etc, just make sure you have a price and they go where you want them too.  Most do, some don't from experience.  But it is all part of the chaos of the place.  For beaches etc, you can fly to Krabi from Bangkok fairly cheaply and quickly (the road is long and bumpy).  Railay Bay is just a place to make you gawp with limestone cliffs.  Round Krabi you get all the limestone cliffs and islands.   I'd probably head off to Ko Lanta or somewhere similar for some peace and quiet after Bangkok.  I never really liked Phuket, but others do, just isn't my thing.  I have never been up North trekking, but people who have seem to loved it.  I can spend all day snorkeling though.  I am sure you can do much of Thailand without needing to use a tour.

I have never been to Cambodia, so can'thelp there.  I always fancied Laos back in the day, but ran out of time.

There are a fair few Blondes visit Asia:  I am sure Woodsey and KevB can give some tips on Thailand and other places, and doesn't Cos live up North of Bangkok?     

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32329 on: January 09, 2020, 08:52:26 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to do that Doobs, it's very useful and much appreciated.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32330 on: January 09, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »

Currently looking at DIY Bangkok - Finding somewhere nice to use as a base and spending 7/8 days exploring, then maybe a river cruise. (Did one before on the Nile and loved it) Mekong river looks good, would mean flying into Siem Reap and then either home or back to Bangkok from Ho Chi Minh City.

marcro

View Profile
« Reply #32331 on: January 09, 2020, 01:24:25 PM »

Currently looking at DIY Bangkok - Finding somewhere nice to use as a base and spending 7/8 days exploring, then maybe a river cruise. (Did one before on the Nile and loved it) Mekong river looks good, would mean flying into Siem Reap and then either home or back to Bangkok from Ho Chi Minh City.

I would never have thought of that Mekong river cruise.

Sounds like a great itinerary covering 3 countries.

Just be sure you take into account the rainy season with your plans. Our winters tend to be a good time to travel there.
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #32332 on: January 09, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »

Clothing made from wood? The fashion industry certainly is branching out. I can't wait to cedar beechwear.

Don't want to cause a rowan the diary, but happy to help the elder blondes Wink

Some people wouldn't appreciate it but this dogwood.

OK, back in your box.

Apologies to TK if I originally posted about the marvellous products you can buy from sap etc from Birch trees there, I think it was here though so I'd like to continue with a little thread about them.

Think I wooshed myself there....mind you I wood not of believed it either.

Did I mention the vet that treated one of my pets years ago was called Mr P Nut and his wife also a vet was called Hazel?

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32333 on: January 09, 2020, 03:25:35 PM »

Clothing made from wood? The fashion industry certainly is branching out. I can't wait to cedar beechwear.

Don't want to cause a rowan the diary, but happy to help the elder blondes Wink

Some people wouldn't appreciate it but this dogwood.

OK, back in your box.

Apologies to TK if I originally posted about the marvellous products you can buy from sap etc from Birch trees there, I think it was here though so I'd like to continue with a little thread about them.

Think I wooshed myself there....mind you I wood not of believed it either.

Did I mention the vet that treated one of my pets years ago was called Mr P Nut and his wife also a vet was called Hazel?

Incredible.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32334 on: January 09, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32335 on: January 09, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #32336 on: January 09, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »

Diet update?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32337 on: January 09, 2020, 11:13:17 PM »

Diet update?

I swear I've never been hungry, but I'm absolutely craving for sugar, salt, fat & caffeine. I mean real withdrawal symptoms too- Headache, joint ache, exhausted, sweating, wrestlers leg syndrome, can't concentrate...

And I'm sick of the sight of eggs and tomatoes.

However much weight I lose it can't be worth it.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #32338 on: January 10, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »

Tom are you passing through Siem Reap or stopping off for a few days? I suggest you stop and do a guided tour of the Angkor Wat, it's incredible. Siem Reap incidentally translates to defeat Siam.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32339 on: January 10, 2020, 09:43:29 AM »

Tom are you passing through Siem Reap or stopping off for a few days? I suggest you stop and do a guided tour of the Angkor Wat, it's incredible. Siem Reap incidentally translates to defeat Siam.

Yes Kev.

Rough plan is to fly into Bangkok, book an inexpensive hotel with a pool to use as a base while we spend about 5/6 days exploring, then fly to Seam Reep for the Angkor Wat tour and then on a river boat for 10 days finishing in Ho Chi Minh City with an excursion per day built in. Then a couple of days in HCMC, fly back to Bangkok and home from there.

Only about 18 passengers on the boat so should be quite nice. Apparently the cabins are a bit small but obv that wont bother us and I hear the food is fantastic.
Haven't got it all sussed yet though so not counting my chickens.

Pages: 1 ... 2152 2153 2154 2155 [2156] 2157 2158 2159 2160 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: