blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2196 2197 2198 2199 [2200] 2201 2202 2203 2204 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3600544 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32985 on: February 04, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »

Are you still running Tom.  Just worked out I haven't been running for 7 weeks.  The country park where I normally run has been flooded on and off since Christmas, but that is likely just an excuse.
I have still been getting out on the bike, but even that has been limited at times by the floods.   

I have definitely slowed down too much over lockdown and need to start getting out and getting more stuff done.  The kids are still getting looked after, but things beyond that have definitely suffered a bit the last few weeeks. 

Right going for a run in a bit.  Reduced circuit given I don't have a kayak.

I was forced to stop running over a year ago because I developed plantar fasciitis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

This was the third time I've had it over the last 5 years or so and each time it has been more difficult to cure. Running is a main contributor so I reluctantly decided to knock it on the head.

It's not that I liked running so much that made me reluctant to give it up, rather than the fact that I was diagnosed with a degenerative lung condition about 3 years ago and I used my running times to monitor my progress.

Being unable to run I switched to cycling. I have an old mountain bike that is totally unsuitable for fast road riding but for my purpose that doesn't matter. All I needed was a set course that I could time precisely.

I do a circuit which includes a killer of a hill, I go as fast as I can, it takes me around 27 min. I used to do it in 26 minutes so I've lost a minute or so in the last 18 months. I'm pretty pleased with that taking into account that I'm also 18 months older.

I'm convinced that the exercise is staving off faster deterioration and that's why I've stuck with it

During lockdown I've over eaten and got fat, I've been listless and idle, I've had bouts of depression, but I'm scared to stop exercising.

I'm in a good place at the moment. I've had my vaccine and I've managed to get control of my eating and lose a bit of weight.

So much of our physical health is connected to our state of mind. It's like pushing a cart-load of bricks, easy to keep going when you're rolling, but a bastard to get started again if something stops you.

Good luck with your re-start Doobs. Report back, let us know how it's going.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32986 on: February 04, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

If you get a chance to watch this please do so, especially if, like me you were too young at the time to be interested in a load of bints farting about in a boat and don't know the score.

What a great story.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32987 on: February 04, 2021, 01:03:47 PM »

Are you still running Tom.  Just worked out I haven't been running for 7 weeks.  The country park where I normally run has been flooded on and off since Christmas, but that is likely just an excuse.
I have still been getting out on the bike, but even that has been limited at times by the floods.   

I have definitely slowed down too much over lockdown and need to start getting out and getting more stuff done.  The kids are still getting looked after, but things beyond that have definitely suffered a bit the last few weeeks. 

Right going for a run in a bit.  Reduced circuit given I don't have a kayak.
Exercising is not only gd for the body, it's gd for the mind. Exercising releases endorphins which is why you feel better after exercising. I was the heaviest I've ever been recently (15st8lb) however since December I've been training for the Para10s( https://paras10.com/the-races/paras10-tab/ )and I'm now starting to do 5 mile Tabs. I've done a few half marathons around where I live but getting improvements, even on 3 mile runs, had been ha lot harder than compared to running. However I've stuck with it and I've managed to get down to under 40 mins for 3miles( I was at nearly 50 mins when I started). I do feel better mentally as I'm not stagnating at home, I have a goal to aim for and motivate me and I've lost nearly half a stone. I've concluded it's mostly my diet that has got me fat as I'm 100 days sober on Monday and the weight hasn't dropped off Cheesy Trying to rectify my diet somewhat however I've concluded that to achieve a calorie deficit I'm gonna have to exercise more to burn off the fat. I can only encourage you to keep exercising however you can, doesn't matter how you do it, just that you do it. You're already seeing the benefits.

I was forced to stop running over a year ago because I developed plantar fasciitis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

This was the third time I've had it over the last 5 years or so and each time it has been more difficult to cure. Running is a main contributor so I reluctantly decided to knock it on the head.

It's not that I liked running so much that made me reluctant to give it up, rather than the fact that I was diagnosed with a degenerative lung condition about 3 years ago and I used my running times to monitor my progress.

Being unable to run I switched to cycling. I have an old mountain bike that is totally unsuitable for fast road riding but for my purpose that doesn't matter. All I needed was a set course that I could time precisely.

I do a circuit which includes a killer of a hill, I go as fast as I can, it takes me around 27 min. I used to do it in 26 minutes so I've lost a minute or so in the last 18 months. I'm pretty pleased with that taking into account that I'm also 18 months older.

I'm convinced that the exercise is staving off faster deterioration and that's why I've stuck with it

During lockdown I've over eaten and got fat, I've been listless and idle, I've had bouts of depression, but I'm scared to stop exercising.

I'm in a good place at the moment. I've had my vaccine and I've managed to get control of my eating and lose a bit of weight.

So much of our physical health is connected to our state of mind. It's like pushing a cart-load of bricks, easy to keep going when you're rolling, but a bastard to get started again if something stops you.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32988 on: February 04, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »

Are you still running Tom.  Just worked out I haven't been running for 7 weeks.  The country park where I normally run has been flooded on and off since Christmas, but that is likely just an excuse.

I have definitely slowed down too much over lockdown and need to start getting out and getting more stuff done.  The kids are still getting looked after, but things beyond that have definitely suffered a bit the last few weeeks.  

Right going for a run in a bit.  Reduced circuit given I don't have a kayak.

Exercising is not only gd for the body, it's gd for the mind. Exercising releases endorphins which is why you feel better after exercising. I was the heaviest I've ever been recently (15st8lb) however since December I've been training for the Para10s( https://paras10.com/the-races/paras10-tab/ )and I'm now starting to do 5 mile Tabs. I've done a few half marathons around where I live but getting improvements, even on 3 mile runs, had been ha lot harder than compared to running. However I've stuck with it and I've managed to get down to under 40 mins for 3miles( I was at nearly 50 mins when I started). I do feel better mentally as I'm not stagnating at home, I have a goal to aim for and motivate me and I've lost nearly half a stone. I've concluded it's mostly my diet that has got me fat as I'm 100 days sober on Monday and the weight hasn't dropped off Cheesy Trying to rectify my diet somewhat however I've concluded that to achieve a calorie deficit I'm gonna have to exercise more to burn off the fat. I can only encourage you to keep exercising however you can, doesn't matter how you do it, just that you do it. You're already seeing the benefits.

Thanks Mr Mo.

FYP I hope you don't mind.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32989 on: February 04, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »

Are you still running Tom.  Just worked out I haven't been running for 7 weeks.  The country park where I normally run has been flooded on and off since Christmas, but that is likely just an excuse.

I have definitely slowed down too much over lockdown and need to start getting out and getting more stuff done.  The kids are still getting looked after, but things beyond that have definitely suffered a bit the last few weeeks.  

Thanks Mr Mo.

Probably makes it easier to read and comprehend. Just for a comparison, I did 5 miles tabbing in 1hr 10m, the course record is 1hr 09m for 10 miles. I'll be happy if I can achieve under 2h30m. However, all that matters is that you get around.

Cymru am byth
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32990 on: February 04, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »

Thanks Mr Mo.

One of my old friends did the Fan Dance fairly recently (2019?).  It looked absolutely brutal, but she has gone a bit hillwalking crazy as she has got older.  Good luck with the Para thing, Mohican. I definitely want to do a couple of proper long distance walks in the future, but can't see me ever challenging myself that hard with a big pack on my back.

I managed 1k today, as I didn't want to push it too far as I hadn't run for a while.  1k is about the limit of the circuit I can do anyway, so am going to have to do laps if I want to go further.  And that 1k is borderline if you don't want your feet soaked.  The rest of the park is either saturated grass, through big puddles, right up to extended lakes (probably extended to 3 times their normal size).  

I hope you can keep going as long as you can with the bike Tom.  I got diagnosed with sleep apnoea about the same time.  Exercise is definitely a positive for that too, so I do try and get out on my bike as much as I can.   Mine is a hybrid, but I have had to switch to winter mountain bike type tyres, the state of the ground round here meant that the tyres I had on were just too slippy round corners.  I was having a sketchy moment each time I went out, and got a puncture which gave me an excuse to do the sensible thing.  Times are now slower, but I can't remember any bad moments since I switched.

I have definitely struggled a bit more mentally with this lockdown, but have given myself a kick up the arse and am doing a few tasks and have put together a gardening plan to go with the exercise.  I definitely need an uptick in the weather again, it is back to grey and raining again, so back stuck in these 4 walls.    

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32991 on: February 04, 2021, 03:54:11 PM »

1k is a good start IMO. People are mostly too prone to overdoing it at the start and then they damage themselves and have to take a month off.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32992 on: February 04, 2021, 04:06:43 PM »

Thanks Mr Mo.

One of my old friends did the Fan Dance fairly recently (2019?).  It looked absolutely brutal, but she has gone a bit hillwalking crazy as she has got older.  Good luck with the Para thing, Mohican. I definitely want to do a couple of proper long distance walks in the future, but can't see me ever challenging myself that hard with a big pack on my back.

I managed 1k today, as I didn't want to push it too far as I hadn't run for a while.  1k is about the limit of the circuit I can do anyway, so am going to have to do laps if I want to go further.  And that 1k is borderline if you don't want your feet soaked.  The rest of the park is either saturated grass, through big puddles, right up to extended lakes (probably extended to 3 times their normal size).  

I hope you can keep going as long as you can with the bike Tom.  I got diagnosed with sleep apnoea about the same time.  Exercise is definitely a positive for that too, so I do try and get out on my bike as much as I can.   Mine is a hybrid, but I have had to switch to winter mountain bike type tyres, the state of the ground round here meant that the tyres I had on were just too slippy round corners.  I was having a sketchy moment each time I went out, and got a puncture which gave me an excuse to do the sensible thing.  Times are now slower, but I can't remember any bad moments since I switched.

I have definitely struggled a bit more mentally with this lockdown, but have given myself a kick up the arse and am doing a few tasks and have put together a gardening plan to go with the exercise.  I definitely need an uptick in the weather again, it is back to grey and raining again, so back stuck in these 4 walls.    
Tx Doobs,I like challenges as it motivates me to train. Just going running with no end game gets boring.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32993 on: February 04, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »

It was only a matter of time.

Watch out you Bitcoiners.

BBC News - Dogecoin takes off after tip by Elon Musk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55939854

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32994 on: February 05, 2021, 09:46:37 AM »

If you get a chance to watch this please do so, especially if, like me you were too young at the time to be interested in a load of bints farting about in a boat and don't know the score.

What a great story.

Where is this available Tom ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32995 on: February 05, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »

What a great story.

Where is this available Tom ?

Well I saw it by nefarious means Boo. It's available on YouTube but it costs £2.99.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #32996 on: February 05, 2021, 10:07:53 AM »

Morning Red

I was flicking through the channels last night and ended up watching Gypsy Eviction - The story of Dale Farm.
It was pretty eye opening to say the least, the lengths they went to and the money spent when you realise that it was really just an extension of a legal site that is still there now.
I was too young to remember when it actually happened, so although it rang a bell the story was relatively new to me.

Made me wonder if you still do your role representing the Gypsy community that you used to talk about?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32997 on: February 05, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you. 

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32998 on: February 05, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »

Morning Red

I was flicking through the channels last night and ended up watching Gypsy Eviction - The story of Dale Farm.
It was pretty eye opening to say the least, the lengths they went to and the money spent when you realise that it was really just an extension of a legal site that is still there now.
I was too young to remember when it actually happened, so although it rang a bell the story was relatively new to me.

Made me wonder if you still do your role representing the Gypsy community that you used to talk about?

Hi Stu.

Well I still do, but not so much now to be honest.

I used to attend a lot of cross parliamentary group and minesterial meetings and consultations, it sounds grand but mostly it was just a rubber stamp exercise so that they could say the community was consulted.

I was also the UK representative of the Roma, Gypsy and Traveller Council of Europe but Brexit put paid to that.

I was also a fairly active member on the National Federation of Gypsy Liaison groups but that has now been disabled due to lack of funding. People were giving their time for free and paying their own expenses in the end but that can't go on forever.

Dale Farm was/is an Irish Traveller settlement so I had no real involvement in that other than where blanket policy was created.

At the end of the day there is a need for site provision and no will from local authorities or the population at large to provide.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32999 on: February 05, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you. 

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

Someone else recommended that too Doobs. I'll definitely give it a go.

Pages: 1 ... 2196 2197 2198 2199 [2200] 2201 2202 2203 2204 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: