blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 ... 175 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....  (Read 345922 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: June 07, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »

Ashley live on BBC/skynews now being quizzed about his SD empire in from of MP's.   Never heard him speak before.   He doesn't sound very well educated or spoken in the slightest.  Easy to see how he rubs people up the wrong way.  He seems very abrupt in his manner and easy to see how he potentially has a bully boy style culture in his business.

Also easy to see how he has become so rich from nothing because you need his manner at times to get on.

The guy chairing this meeting is so annoying and corporate and tilting the shit out of Ashley!

Why is Ashley being held to account for his worker's actions outside of the workplace getting pissed outside of work hours?  I feel for Ashley a bit here because it seems PC gone mad at times some of the things SD do are perfectly fine in a controlled workplace.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:07:39 PM by arbboy » Logged
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: June 07, 2016, 08:26:11 PM »

Ashley live on BBC/skynews now being quizzed about his SD empire in from of MP's.   Never heard him speak before.   He doesn't sound very well educated or spoken in the slightest.  Easy to see how he rubs people up the wrong way.  He seems very abrupt in his manner and easy to see how he potentially has a bully boy style culture in his business.

Also easy to see how he has become so rich from nothing because you need his manner at times to get on.

The guy chairing this meeting is so annoying and corporate and tilting the shit out of Ashley!

Why is Ashley being held to account for his worker's actions outside of the workplace getting pissed outside of work hours?  I feel for Ashley a bit here because it seems PC gone mad at times some of the things SD do are perfectly fine in a controlled workplace.

I think he came across quite well, in that he just seemed like a wideboy done good. He didnt come off a smug condescending tool like all the normal corporations roll out. Hes made a living out of pushing the lines and rules and least he was willing to accept things he didnt agree within his business, whether he does much who knows but least he wasnt all spin and dealt with what was being said. Think theres a serious problem of how people are being treated in the workplace and alot of places are pushing their luck on a wide range of issues. Least he had the balls to answer honestly instead of hiding behind jargon. He could have been a prick the way corporations usually are and parrot out the same tripe we all knows is lies.

I have no love for ashley or the way he does business, respect for what hes achieved, but I felt he dealt with the interview like a normal bloke and thought it was quite endearing.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: June 08, 2016, 12:17:46 AM »

He seems very abrupt in his manner and easy to see how he potentially has a bully boy style culture in his business.

I used to work for SD and can confirm that a lot of those higher up fit this description. They work their employees hard, with the salaried full-timers on a minimum of 10 hour days, 5 days a week. Often you'd be summoned, with less than a week's notice, to go and re-fit a new shop in another County so you'd have 12+ hour days there. Then there were stocktake weeks which were 70 hour weeks.

However, the pay was very good with all the performance bonuses linked to the share price. Bonuses of double people's annual salaries were paid numerous times and there was progression available for hard workers.

There were some perks too as I once went to St James's park and sat in the Directors' box with colleagues and MA's PA. She was very game and made sure we all got slaughtered on the free drinks during the game and afterwards.

One thing MA is not, is corporate! Everyone wore tracksuits to work all the way up the chain almost to the top. There were cowboys all the way to the top in this company. One of his right-hand women (Karen Byers) was as rough as cheese/hard as nails.

Hes made a living out of pushing the lines and rules

Indeed he has. A good example was that his stores rarely kept to the legal opening hours on Sundays in order to squeeze more sales in when customers got to the retail parks and the other stores were closed.

Think theres a serious problem of how people are being treated in the workplace and alot of places are pushing their luck on a wide range of issues.

Store managers would use the zero hours contract as a way to cherry-pick the best workers and elbow out the ones they didn't like by just constantly giving them low/no hours. The workers would get the hump and then leave, so they always had to be on their toes to keep working. I can see how (sadly) some of the unscrupulous managers could abuse their position of power.

I have no love for ashley or the way he does business, respect for what hes achieved, but I felt he dealt with the interview like a normal bloke and thought it was quite endearing.

He is a very good retail business man. Taking established/quality brand names that were struggling and buying them on the cheap then manufacturing everything much cheaper/slashing the RRPs was a master-stroke. But when they came in the store at 75% off from the outset, you knew that they'd never been on sale at the original (often inflated/ripoff) prices! Ashley's mission was to cripple all the other sports retailers because of historic feuds and that was the main driving force behind his extreme work ethic.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2493 on: June 08, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »

He seems very abrupt in his manner and easy to see how he potentially has a bully boy style culture in his business.

I used to work for SD and can confirm that a lot of those higher up fit this description. They work their employees hard, with the salaried full-timers on a minimum of 10 hour days, 5 days a week. Often you'd be summoned, with less than a week's notice, to go and re-fit a new shop in another County so you'd have 12+ hour days there. Then there were stocktake weeks which were 70 hour weeks.

However, the pay was very good with all the performance bonuses linked to the share price. Bonuses of double people's annual salaries were paid numerous times and there was progression available for hard workers.

There were some perks too as I once went to St James's park and sat in the Directors' box with colleagues and MA's PA. She was very game and made sure we all got slaughtered on the free drinks during the game and afterwards.

One thing MA is not, is corporate! Everyone wore tracksuits to work all the way up the chain almost to the top. There were cowboys all the way to the top in this company. One of his right-hand women (Karen Byers) was as rough as cheese/hard as nails.

Indeed he has. A good example was that his stores rarely kept to the legal opening hours on Sundays in order to squeeze more sales in when customers got to the retail parks and the other stores were closed.

Think theres a serious problem of how people are being treated in the workplace and alot of places are pushing their luck on a wide range of issues.

Store managers would use the zero hours contract as a way to cherry-pick the best workers and elbow out the ones they didn't like by just constantly giving them low/no hours. The workers would get the hump and then leave, so they always had to be on their toes to keep working. I can see how (sadly) some of the unscrupulous managers could abuse their position of power.

He is a very good retail business man. Taking established/quality brand names that were struggling and buying them on the cheap then manufacturing everything much cheaper/slashing the RRPs was a master-stroke. But when they came in the store at 75% off from the outset, you knew that they'd never been on sale at the original (often inflated/ripoff) prices! Ashley's mission was to cripple all the other sports retailers because of historic feuds and that was the main driving force behind his extreme work ethic.

Always interesting to hear an "insider's " views ,  thank you for sharing.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: June 08, 2016, 11:16:48 PM »

Always interesting to hear an "insider's " views ,  thank you for sharing.

this, cheers
toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2495 on: July 01, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »

Absolutely gutted to lose Townsend, he's one of best signings we've made in last 10 year. Can't help but feel he's gonna regret it in a year. Working under Benitez for a season in championship > prem under Pardew and it's not close.

Happy with the signings we seem to be making and you can just tell Rafa is making a big effort to getting the club ran close to how it should.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »

Such an odd move. I get wanting to be in the prem and he doesn't really owe us anything, but palace?? He had a great chance to really get his career going under the guidance of one of the games great managers but instead he wants to go and play for Alan Pardew? The guy who ruins 90% of players he has. Weird.

Also I hope he got another relegation release clause put in because I can see us swapping places next season.

Blue text
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: July 02, 2016, 11:46:32 AM »

Good signings so far for Newcastle.  Marshall and Ritchie.  Going to romp the Championship surely as they are going to end up with a stronger squad than their premier league team.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2498 on: July 02, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »

do you expect any others to jump ship?

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: July 02, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

Sissoko will definitely go, most likely Wijnaldum will also. Don't expect many others to move unless surplus to requirements. Really hope Colocinni is away, he's a huge piss taker and gets no stick from the fans.
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: July 02, 2016, 01:54:45 PM »

Sissoko will definitely go, most likely Wijnaldum will also. Don't expect many others to move unless surplus to requirements. Really hope Colocinni is away, he's a huge piss taker and gets no stick from the fans.

Would agree with that, think krul will be away when hes fit as we have paid a bit for Sels and were very keen to bring him in quickly (think a few prem teams sniffing around). Sissoko is an dick and I dont care how good he is in the championship, hes a deluded annoying cretin. Wiljnaldum has done too much for his rep with goals for holland in friendlies for teams to not be interested, only thing is we know this and will hold for a price prem teams may be unwiling to pay to a championship club.

Really like how rafa is building some british players in, was the only concern they werent up on the english game but clearly they were well prepared for it. Still hope he can find a few continental diamonds tho with their experience.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: July 02, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »

I wouldn't have any complaints if Krul wanted to leave, gl to him, hope he stays obv.

Anyone know how the new Kanu did at Ipswich ? I can't see a reason not to take a punt on him on a free, worldy aside he's been very impressive leading the line for Wales.
toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2502 on: July 02, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »

I'd drive sissoko and wijnaldum to their next club myself, no bottle and no heart in either of them. Agree colo has to go, can finally fuck off to Argentina where he's wanted to go for 4 seasons now.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: July 12, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »

Moussa Sissoko's agent angered after Newcastle slap £35m price tag on star http://dailym.ai/29A8uNg

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: July 12, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »

Moussa Sissoko's agent angered after Newcastle slap £35m price tag on star http://dailym.ai/29A8uNg

Seems more than fair in the current market.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 ... 175 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: