blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 10:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272935 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  WOAH far too close to home
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WOAH far too close to home  (Read 9855 times)
cia260895

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

On Friday i picked up an air rifle for my son to practice with in the garden as he is going to air cadets and they do air rifle shooting,so me being me says right practice makes perfect,The wife wasn't too happy with this as i suppose its a girly and guns things.i reassured her that nothing could go wrong and that i would supervise him in the shooting in the garden with targets printed off and stuck to some chipboard and that air rifles were not lethal

how wrong could i be........... only  a few miles away from us as well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7957493.stm
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:15:35 PM »

It can happen if you have a powerful enough one, but my guess would be a lack of adult supervision and a bit of messing about was probably involved

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »

It can happen if you have a powerful enough one, but my guess would be a lack of adult supervision and a bit of messing about was probably involved

The 1 i got was a .22 rifle and like you said they are powerfull enough I know if it hit the head area real damage would be done,
I reckon like you said unsupervised use would be to blame

My 1 is kept out of arms reach with the pellets kept seperately but will invest in a gun bag with lock on for extra safety

I now remember recently as well in Hayes a 2 year old was killed by an air rifle that was left unattended by the owner
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »

mate leave the shooting practice to the range and expert supervision, i have seen trained soliders having neglient dischares in which the only reason no one was hurt was down to supervision of the range.

people need to remember that guns are not toys and no matter what type of gun it is (apart from maybe a water pistol) they are dangerous and can lead to also sorts of problems including the police mistaking the holders of the gun for someone more sinister

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
dousche

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:18 PM »

mate leave the shooting practice to the range and expert supervision, i have seen trained soliders having neglient dischares in which the only reason no one was hurt was down to supervision of the range.

people need to remember that guns are not toys and no matter what type of gun it is (apart from maybe a water pistol) they are dangerous and can lead to also sorts of problems including the police mistaking the holders of the gun for someone more sinister

lol @ licences for water pistols and special waterproof gun cabinets
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »

and another 1 just 2 minutes from us

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7961402.stm
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »

and another 1 just 2 minutes from us

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7961402.stm

Isn't that a murder?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
phatomch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »

i had bb guns, air rifles, shot guns and rifles from about the age of 5, if your child is advised on handling it correctly and safely you will have no problems.  You know the saying "guns dont kill people , people do"
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »

was referring to the death

not means of,
Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »

Beware of ricochets. My Dad's glasses were hit during target practice. If he didn't wear glasses he would have lost an eye. Also, I have a friend that was hit twice by ricochets during target practice. In one case he had to pull the pellet out on his arm where it had lodged half way in.

Best not to shoot at bouncy things, probably.

phatomch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »

Beware of ricochets. My Dad's glasses were hit during target practice. If he didn't wear glasses he would have lost an eye. Also, I have a friend that was hit twice by ricochets during target practice. In one case he had to pull the pellet out on his arm where it had lodged half way in.

Best not to shoot at bouncy things, probably.

or at point blank range as this must of been
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 01:58:58 PM »

Yah I know about the richochets, and I get him to wear industrial safety goggle when using it (not quite sure if they are suitable, but will be going to  a gun academy to get the rifle checked as i cant seem to hit the target which is fixed to 40mm thick chipboard,must be the gun as it cant be me...
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »

Have to agree with Ironside here. Let him be taught at the firing range by professionals.

Do you know what you're doing with this rifle? If you do and have been trained then fair enough.

If not then you shouldn't be teaching him anything. You wouldn't let a non-driver teach him how to drive in a few years would you? So why let a non-expert teach him to shoot?

Once he's proficient and has been taught everything he needs to know at the gun range then he'll probably know that it's best not to be firing the thing in the back garden anyway.

Rifles are for killing people and other living things, simple as that. That is their purpose. Rifle ranges are for learning how to use that rifle to best effect.

Gardens are for growing plants and grass and other green stuff.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
phatomch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »

its a air rifle ffs not  a m16, teach the kid how to hold always have chamber broken when carrying, never point at anyone and choose where to shoot safely. 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »

its a air rifle ffs not  a m16, teach the kid how to hold always have chamber broken when carrying, never point at anyone and choose where to shoot safely. 

Even if it's an air rifle it was designed to kill. Fair enough only rats and other little things but that's still it's primary job.

Why not just TELL the kid how to hold, not to point at anyone etc.?

And as far as where to shoot safely goes. Might I suggest a rifle range?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: