blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:35:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Come on England
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Come on England  (Read 48395 times)
Murph1984

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 28, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »

Roy Keane raised a good point today on SSN.

Most of the England squad had at best average seasons,and most of those who had good seasons were either unlucky with injuries at the wrong time(King,Rooney,Barry,both Coles) or had not even ever been capped(Hart,Dawson)

Outides of both those group of names only Lampard and Milner really had what you could call good seasons.

So you're talking 2/23 players who had had a good season and were fully fit going to South Africa with any international experience,when you couple that with Capello's tactical ineptness it's no wonder it turned out like it did.

I'm not defending Capello,I think he royally f'd up in so many ways it's unreal during the tournament as well as backtracking on all of his principles in selecting the squad which he had said were that he would only pick players who were playing regularly,in form and fit but when push came to shove he ignored all three.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:18:22 PM by Murph1984 » Logged
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 28, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »

Sorry but pretty comedy to watch your commentators bumming up the officials....who on earth at itv is telling them to do this....right lads our team us out so let's get right behind whoever else is representing...the ref and his assistants!!! CRINGE

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 28, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »

Sorry but pretty comedy to watch your commentators bumming up the officials....who on earth at itv is telling them to do this....right lads our team us out so let's get right behind whoever else is representing...the ref and his assistants!!! CRINGE
Yeh this is pretty sad. Obv good for him but can't see me shouting - COME ON WEBB!
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 28, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »

Roy Keane raised a good point today on SSN.

Most of the England squad had at best average seasons,and most of those who had good seasons were either unlucky with injuries at the wrong time(King,Rooney,Barry,both Coles) or had not even ever been capped(Hart,Dawson)

Outides of both those group of names only Lampard and Milner really had what you could call good seasons.

So you're talking 2/23 players who had had a good season and were fully fit going to South Africa with any international experience,when you couple that with Capello's tactical ineptness it's no wonder it turned out like it did.

I'm not defending Capello,I think he royally f'd up in so many ways it's unreal during the tournament as well as backtracking on all of his principles in selecting the squad which he had said were that he would only pick players who were playing regularly,in form and fit but when push came to shove he ignored all three.

V true - this is one reason why I like Holland - good form at the right time
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 28, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »

No they aren't good enough but that is the point. A 20yr old English player has potential but a 28 year old Turkish player is better so the turk plays and the 20yr old never improves. If they were forced to play more English players then they may improve. Not saying it is a certainty but it might help. Premier League may go down a notch but plenty of room for foreign players that do improve the league so it shouldn't collapse.
The likes of Joe Hart, Gary Cahill, Glen Johnson, Stephen Warnock, Matthew Upson, Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe have all st some point taken what many consider to be a step down in their career to play regularly and all have become better players because of it.
Are there more out there like them? Is Sturridge the real deal and we're just not seeing him and he's not improving as he's used infrequently at Chelsea but maybe at the likes of Birmingham or Fulham he'd be playing and learning most weeks?

Add to this the likes of Lampard, Carragher, Crouch, Henry, Shearer, Torres, none of whom made it as a really good player until they were between 23-26? I could name loads more if I could be bothered.

I'm not sure about the others but Lampard,Shearer and Torres should be nowhere near that list.

Lampard was a regular with West Ham from a very young age,18 or so and had a good goal record considering who he was playing for from midfield.

Shearer scored a top flight hat-trick at 18

And Torres had 2 full seasons and over 30 top flight goals as well as being Atletico captain by the time he was 19.

West Ham fans bit your hand off for £11m for Lampard - it was the biggest in joke in football. It was 04/05 before Mourinho came and the rest of the country agreed that he was actually quite good?

I thought Shearer and Torres both had consistently average records prior to 23ish. (Even though there was obv talent)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 29, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »

‘Last season, there were 103 Brazilians in the Champions League and only 15 Englishmen.

the strength in depth of the brazilians is incredible going way beyond their 23 man squad. I only watched one champions league team regularly last season but I could pick 5 brazilians (jadson, ilsinho, fernadinho, willian and costa) from the shakhtar squad who I would start ahead of any one of the england midfield plus adriano who I'd start ahead of any of our forwards except rooney and none of these players were anywhere near making the wc squad.

the difference in quality of player available to england and brazil is just vast

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 30, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

lol, how odd does Lennon look smoking a cigar...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 30, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »

To help them regain some confidence after the disappointment of the World Cup, England have arranged a friendly against Iceland and if that goes well further games against Asda and Tesco are planned.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 30, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »

To help them regain some confidence after the disappointment of the World Cup, England have arranged a friendly against Iceland and if that goes well further games against Asda and Tesco are planned.

Colch Kev's got that on facebook - no fair getting the jokes up before the Scots get a chance Smiley

I did like this picture from Glasgow though:

Click to see full-size image.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 30, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »

Today's rumour:

Courts held a further 2 week gagging order on steve gerrards private life, turns out he got his wifes sister pregnant (not a 16 year old )

Will hit the newspaper in 14 days, the judge held the gagging order to protect FA while they decide on capello, and the future of English footy..

John terry and the england boys all know about it and JT had a argument with capello because gerrard got to keep the captains armband. the tension in the camp was down to JT and half the team saying gerrard was a disgrace and the other half of the squad backing gerrard..The press conference was related to the tension and JT wanted Gerrard exposed - they hate each other..
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 30, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »

Today's rumour:

Courts held a further 2 week gagging order on steve gerrards private life, turns out he got his wifes sister pregnant (not a 16 year old )

Will hit the newspaper in 14 days, the judge held the gagging order to protect FA while they decide on capello, and the future of English footy..

John terry and the england boys all know about it and JT had a argument with capello because gerrard got to keep the captains armband. the tension in the camp was down to JT and half the team saying gerrard was a disgrace and the other half of the squad backing gerrard..The press conference was related to the tension and JT wanted Gerrard exposed - they hate each other..

Just out of interest where do you hear it from?
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 30, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »

Today's rumour:

friend of a friend Wink
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: June 30, 2010, 02:58:40 PM »

Today's rumour:

friend of a friend Wink

Good enough for me.

Stevie G. a violent ned, who cheats  on his wife and beats her as well

edit before Tighty goes in to a fit about libel issues Smiley

Alledgedly...I heard this from a mate down the pub, well..when I say "mate" I mean guy I say Hi to something....well, when I say "Guy I say hi to sometimes" I mean someone I saw in the pub once.

Oh, and technically I didn't actually hear him say it....but it suits me as a source of info for now...and, if that's good enough for TheSun or Daily Mirror, it's good enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:22:43 PM by boldie » Logged

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »

[ ]  Alex Curran has a sister.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 30, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »

Yeh this is pretty sad. Obv good for him but can't see me shouting - COME ON WEBO!

WEBO WEBO!!!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: