blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272588 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 499 500 [501] 502 503 504 505 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1423684 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7500 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »

One of our problems growing up was perhaps that we weren't incredibly social outside of our social groups and we were very critical of new people.

I think between 16-18 I matured a lot and for some reason I grew a superiority complex that is a little bit silly.

I definitely think being so closed to new people in university is something we both regret.

So anyway we tolerated these muggles (not as offensive word as it looks) for a few hours and then by the time we got into the club we made our excuses and went our own way to enjoy the night.

Cool

Don't worry about the old guys. Some people are just dicks. That's about all there is to that.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: November 28, 2015, 12:36:24 AM »

I remember very clearly around 8 years ago being a huge poker fan boy. I've written about this previously, but my first ever a-ha moment in poker was peaking over Jake Cody's arm in a GUKPT main event and seeing him 3bet bluff A9o, that was the kind of person I wanted to be. Jake went on to win all sorts, he was the quickest ever triple crown winner. I used to love reading about the ballers, 2months2million was my favourite documentary, I always wanted that life. I remember hearing from a friend I spoke to on Skype that he had been to a dinner with Jake Cody and 20 others and they all "flipped" for the dinner. I found this really interesting at the time, something I would never have considered.

There's a very correct saying in poker that "everybody has less money than you think" I think its probably transferable to life as well. People just generally either a) don't look after their money enough or b) aren't aggressive enough to maximise the money they have. I think its probably one of the toughest skills in the world. Anyway, back to 8 years ago, I was in Carling Academy in Sheffield and my house mates who probably assumed I had more money than I actually did suggested we "flip" for the drinks. It was really exciting, everybody pulling their cards out, the waitress looking on. When you're a student you often have somewhere between 0 and 100 in your account, as the waitress pulled card by card out and mine wasn't out I started to remember... I had just deposited the day before on Full Tilt to play the double deuce and it was touch and go how much money was going to be left in the account. Unluckily I lose the 10/1 shot, but luckily drinks were $1 each so I managed to scrape by that night.

Fast forward 8 years, I'm living in Budapest, have a lot of friends from all around the world, have been successful in my career. I still think a lot of the time I'm ungrateful. I take it a little bit for granted, I spend a little bit too much money sometimes and perhaps aren't as grateful for those around me who have helped me in lots of ways over the year. Last night I celebrated my first ever Thanksgiving dinner

Click to see full-size image.

Since owning my bar I've never been there once on a weekend, or any busy night really. There was a big party going on and I invited all of our guys to the bar. It felt really nice to be able to offer drinks to some of my closest friends and celebrate. Night was pretty fun, we all drank a lot and had fun.

Got home at 5am or so, called my friend on Skype who runs a underground site and basically said "I want to gamble, can you get me some money on that site" he said unfortunately there was no action running. I went down the list of Stars HU lobby, lots of regs I didn't know. Finally bottom of the list just as I was about to close the client it came up we saw "W00ki3z" my housemate and I looked at each other excitedly and I sat. He sat out initially (guess wasn't paying attention to computer at 5am) so I called him on Skype, he quickly sat in and we began a pretty long heads up match. It was pretty fun playing with webcams on the whole time too.

Here is fun picture of him answering Skype

Playing with webcams definitely added a big dynamic. If somebody hasn't seen the videos of Jungleman getting angry after having to fold hands or seeing bluffs etc you should probably watch. Every time I bluffed in the match I would show him the bluffs and it was pretty hilarious to watch his reactions. One fun pot was where I c/c, c/c and then check, he bets big and I stand up, clapping my hands above my head shouting "10...9...8...7...6...5" until the river where I looked at him seriously in the camera and said with my best intoxicated poker face "I'm all in" and jammed Ac8x on j84xxc7x9c and he eventually folded, I showed him the bluff and it was pretty funny.

He took everything really well, I actually learned a lot from it, of course I'm not delusional enough to think I have an edge here and obviously know it was a silly decision to play, but I think I was at least pretty competitive and considering I'd been drinking for 8 hours straight played probably as good as I could have. After the match, even though I won in terms $ won he still stuck around afterwards and spoke with me about how I played, how I could have done things differently etc, he was pretty complimentary and for all the stick he gets, he came across v v v v good.

Fun picture from middle of match.

Have no interest in trying to be an end boss in heads up. I think its a good way to learn poker, but also a pretty expensive one. Maybe I'll battle some of the regs at 100-600nl. Find it a good challenge, its definitely a decent way to learn and improve and also just pretty fun Smiley

Last match of the season for my team on Sunday, hoping we can win so end the year unbeaten. Lets see how that goes.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: November 28, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »

Top posting.

Love that you stil love the game, challenging yourself and still have heros.

The enthusiasm is infectious.

Ty

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: November 28, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »

New diary starting 😉

Bithub

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: November 28, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »

People just generally either a) don't look after their money enough or b) aren't aggressive enough to maximise the money they have.

Of course a) and b) often aren't independent.  On observation, a lot of players fail at a) in the misguided pursuit of b).

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7505 on: November 28, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »

now that would have made for a fking fantastic training video !!!
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7506 on: November 28, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »

Got home at 5am or so, called my friend on Skype who runs a underground site and basically said "I want to gamble, can you get me some money on that site" he said unfortunately there was no action running.

Great post. Agree your enthusiasm is so infectious.

Pardon my naivety, but what is an "underground site'? I suspect I know what you mean, but not really sure if I do.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: November 28, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »

One of the guys who wanted to flip at dinner mentioned applying for a job this week. That really blew my mind. Gl today if you play. I think it could be a big one. Going to read all the notes  you gave me.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: November 28, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »

Here is the hand I played against Jungle, where I was stood up on webcam dancing and counting down to 10 before I jammed.

http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hands/Boom/16847836_0095598408

Sure this may not be the most optimal sizing, but if I can find a way to play exploitative, even against the dream machine GTO guys, I'll find a way Wink

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: November 29, 2015, 10:56:15 AM »

Yo

Not sure if you will still be in Prague then but me and the missus are coming to Budapest for 3/4 days on Sunday the 13th of Dec , obv want to see your bar mate so let me know if youre around for drinks / dinner etc  x
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: November 30, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »

Sunday was ok, for the first time ever? I missed the warm up and 109r, I went for a nice dinner with a friend and then slept for 3 hours and started with the big162. Pure bubble ept package, lost a flip for PCA package too but won EPT package in the end for profitable Sunday. Played 7.5/10 I think.

It's kind of weird, at one point in this year I was so focused on being the best MTT player in the world, but it wasn't necessarily for myself, I wanted others to think so. Now I lost a lot of that motivation. I set myself a goal at the start of the year (maybe last December) that this year I would play the 50k in Prague. Definitely not going to play it now, not even going for the Estrellas 1k. Will go from 8-17th and play the main, 10k etc. I'm not playing as much poker now, but I think it really helps my game, playing my A game more often etc.

Had some pretty fun hands this week, shame boom isn't working, would be close to some personal bests on there! A8 v AA in 4bet pot (I 4bet, he called!) on 882A4, when he c/j the river I didn't even think it was possible I could be beat. Lots of hilarious hands last few days, but not going to go into a moan. It is what it is Smiley

Really happy with how I'm playing which is the main thing. Cash games especially helping me in tournaments. Allows me to just play well for longer periods of time I think.

Football season has finished now, we go for a winter break and we won our last game 7-3 against a somewhat rival team. Our team was a joke, played very good. We start the second half of the season in March, we're going to start training at the end of January and play a lot of friendlies in February against some really good teams in Hungary, we will find out how good we actually are then and how serious we're going to take it.

Had a somewhat a-ha moment yesterday. We are overwhelmed with attacking players and its hard to fit them in. Most of them are fast and strong, yesterday I decided to put them both wingers and full backs meaning when one was tired after 5-10 minutes he would sit back and defend and get a breather and then after 10 minutes or so would change again. It resulted in lots of overlaps/attacking runs with full intensity and in general, especially in amateur league it can be really effective strategy. The result kind of speaks for that, we scored 7 goals, but let in 3.

Going to go on strike from tomorrow with everybody else, its nice to see everybody uniting as a community, feels pretty good I think.

I'm really most unhappy because of how PokerStars strategise their marketing and all round plan.

Everything they do is spent now on recreational players, I think this is completely fine, attracting new players to the game is very important.

So they do the following main marketing stuff

1- Spend 10s of millions on sports stars
2- Get all pros to stream playing on twitch
3- Invest in the biggest twitch pros
4- Shark cage

All of these are amazingly good marketing plans and they will do a great job of bringing new players into the game.

The problem is they changed the rake structure at the micro stakes (and they didnt tell the recreational players, they ironically posted on 2p2) this means that when people sign up with the famous $50 deposit bonus they are playing in games that are basically unbeatable. They have been attracted to poker because of watching nanonoko on twitch, or shark cage with guys who have made millions from poker. They want to do this too, of course it was always unlikely, but not its basically impossible. I guess 99.9% of them get stuck in the micros, their $50 deposits churning rake over and over again with little success. Negreanu says that peoples $50's last 20% less than they did X time ago, well with higher rake and unbeatable games of course they are not going to last as long.

HUD's and seating scripts are not a problem for 99% of recreational players, they actually hurt regular players, just like training sites do, but nobody complains about training sites because its a level playing field.

I feel very strong about how much recreational players are getting fucked here and would love to help a campaign to just show them exactly what is happening, how unlikely it is they are going to win, how tough it would be for Phil Ivey to win, how much he would actually win in their games etc.

Stars are going to take all of the money from supernovas/supernova elites next year, bring in loads of new players as they promise then put them in unbeatable games and churn their rake. Fucking geniuses! Seriously, its a really, really great idea for them, but we can't let them get away with it.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: November 30, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »

Pokerstars in abusing a monopoly position and doing what is right for their shareholders shocker!
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: November 30, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Pokerstars in abusing a monopoly position and doing what is right for their shareholders shocker!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-10/pokerstars-parent-amaya-tumbles-after-lowering-profit-forecast

Have it on good authority shareholders are kicking up a fuss and with another huge protest and if we manage to hold the protest for 6 weeks or so they could crumble.

I'm not sure if you watched my podcast last week but I spoke about how sites on ipoker would purposely lose tens of thousands a month just to have their numbers look good (rake, deposits, balances) to their shareholders.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: November 30, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »

We are looking for a CEO to join our staking company - bitB Staking (best in the business staking).

Our company is in its first year of existence but have grown rapidly. Our players have increased to around 50 and with aspirations of 100+ players by next year we are looking for somebody to come into the team and run the day to day management of the company.

You will be required to work around 6 hours a day, 5 days a week (120 hours/month) you will have a lot of responsibilities and will get very good experience for future jobs. Salary is extremely competitive and you will be working with smart innovative guys that are looking to advance in both poker and non poker start up companies over the next years.

Jobs that you would undertake

- Player management
- Recruitment management
- Website management
- Auditing and finance management
- Project management
- Marketing management

The following experience is desired but not necessary:

- diploma / undergraduate degree in business management or something similar
- Minimum C in A level maths or equivalent
- Experience working in a similar position
- An understanding of the poker industry
- Advanced knowledge of excel, word and all Microsoft tools
- Good organizational skills and time management

If you are interested please contact bitbstaking@gmail.com

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:28 PM »

Good Luck in Prague
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 499 500 [501] 502 503 504 505 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: