blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272605 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 632 633 [634] 635 636 637 638 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2562044 times)
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #9495 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »

it meant to say 30 years Cheesy

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »

And yeh, what's tightening up really going to cost you long term? Say my winrate goes from £40 an hour to £35 for that final half hour. Costing me £2.50 in EV to preserve moral and go home happy / be happy the next day. SNAP imo. Even if it was twice or three time that I'd do it.

lets say no inflation and you lose £7.50 an hour 3 hours a week? That's already over £80 a month, 3 years and thats £24k, huge! Cheesy

er sorry what? It's like £3k!

and it's ridiculous. If you went your whole life thinking along those lines...well, let's just say I wouldn't like to.

You tip your hairdresser £4 a time, say a haircut every 2months that's £24 a year. You'll always get your haircut for the rest of your life so w/o inflation if you live till you're 100 that's £1920 on hairdresser tips!

What about that £1k you took out to play table games? How often does that happen? I dread to think how much that'll cost you over the course of 10 years...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Donk23

View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: August 13, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

hairdresser tips and gambling on table games are how you spend your money, poker is how you make your money
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: August 13, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »

You can earn £20k a year in a job with a total douche of a boss who makes your life hell, or you take another job where you earn £19.5k a year but the people are great and boss is good. Which one you want?

Locking up at the end of a session is a pretty minor leak imo, do what you want
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: August 13, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »

hairdresser tips and gambling on table games are how you spend your money, poker is how you make your money

yeah exactly.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: August 13, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »

And yeh, what's tightening up really going to cost you long term? Say my winrate goes from £40 an hour to £35 for that final half hour. Costing me £2.50 in EV to preserve moral and go home happy / be happy the next day. SNAP imo. Even if it was twice or three time that I'd do it.

lets say no inflation and you lose £7.50 an hour 3 hours a week? That's already over £80 a month, 3 years and thats £24k, huge! Cheesy

and it's ridiculous. If you went your whole life thinking along those lines...well, let's just say I wouldn't like to.

You tip your hairdresser £4 a time, say a haircut every 2months that's £24 a year. You'll always get your haircut for the rest of your life so w/o inflation if you live till you're 100 that's £1920 on hairdresser tips!

What about that £1k you took out to play table games? How often does that happen? I dread to think how much that'll cost you over the course of 10 years...

I go to a friend instead of going to Marbella and getting a £100 haircut from really great hairdresser and spending £50 on round trip, thus saving £125 every time I go.  £125 every "2 months" is £1500 a year! So w/o inflating and saying I live to 100 and still have hair means I'm saving £115,500! Almost a house, at least in Newcastle.

strak33

View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »

Dont you get haircut like once every 3 years though?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

I go to a friend instead of going to Marbella and getting a £100 haircut from really great hairdresser and spending £50 on round trip, thus saving £125 every time I go.  £125 every "2 months" is £1500 a year! So w/o inflating and saying I live to 100 and still have hair means I'm saving £115,500! Almost a house, at least in Newcastle.

Must resist.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »

Locking up at the end of a session is a pretty minor leak imo, do what you want

Doing things that make you feel ok with the world is a big part of the mental game imo which is much more important than an obsession with EV.
I'm sure there are more than a small number players who would like to think they always take the best EV line, never lock up a winning session, and never walk away from a good game, but who currently haven't got two pennies.

Staying in the right place as much as possible (HeV I suppose) is at the top / near the top of the list of things that can help make you successful.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: August 13, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »

Wasn't Alex's post about £ev < hEv. But somehow we are talking about tipping hairdressers?

At the end of the day only you know what truly makes you happy, and happiness is clearly more important than money in the long run.

I wrote about this in my blog (thin etc etc)

I’m reading a really interesting book at the moment called “The Social Animal”. The premise of the book follows two hypothetical people who are extremely happy. It follows the parents, then the childhood and into adulthood. The prose itself is easy reading, but also articulate and full of facts and pieces from relevant academics. Some of the facts in here really speak to me, and this is definintly something I find extremely interesting. I’ll quote/talk about a few things now…

"Money has a slight correlation with happiness but its overall effect is quite low. Someone who wins the lottery goes through a short increase in overall happiness for a few months, but the person will be back to their base level in around 6 months."

“Finally young people are ambivalent about adulthood. As Arnett argues, they want the security and stability adulthood brings, but they don’t want to settle into a daily grind. They don’t want to limit their spontaneity or put limits on their dreams.”

“Nigerians rate themselves just as happy as the Japanese, even though Japan’s GDP per capita is almost 25 times higher than theirs.”

“Living standards in the USA have dramatically risen in the last fifty years, but this has produced no measurable uptick in happiness. On the other hand, the United States has become a much more unequal society. This inequality doesn’t seem t0 have reduced national happiness either, even amongst the poor.”

So money doesn’t equal happiness, but money has some overall effect. However, give an unhappy person money and they will not immediately become happy. Being social, having good friends, and a job you enjoy is something a lot more important than money.

"Furthermore, the people in your social group influence you, whether you know this or not. If a person has a social circle which is largely obese, they are more likely to be obese themselves. This factor is more important than the persons spouse!"

"If you read test subjects that walk into a room words that are associated with old people, they will walk out of the room slower. If you read test subjects that walk into a room aggressive words, they are more likely to interrupt strangers after they leave the room. If you remind an Asian American woman that she is Asian before a maths test, she will do better. If you remind her she is a woman, she will do worse."

The unconscious is a wonderful thing. It truly shapes us, and is far more important than anything that occurs consciously. This is why instincts are powerful things. Sometimes in poker, everything about the situation tells me to fold. Sometimes, especially if “in theory” I should fold, i call. I’m not sure I’ve ever been right in these spots when I've ignored my instinct. Funny isn’t it?

People who group around others, become similar. To be successful you have to hang around successful people. The truly great, young, online poker players all became good friends with other players, surrounded themselves and really immersed themselves into the game. They have also succeeded into taking the game onto the next level. I’m not sure where i want to go in this world yet, but wherever i do, I’m sure i will do my best to maintain friends and general well being, and not just chase the gold at the end of the rainbow.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:13:49 PM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: August 13, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »

yeah, i mean I guess if you are crushing the pokers, going around the world and regularly having really good scores then who gives a fuck, obv doing it right.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »

Nice post Adam.

The whole reason I went down this path rather than the Uni->finance sector path I was set out on was because I'd rather earn £40k/year and be really happy and have a great social life, travel around, freedom etc than earn £80k a year in the city working my arse off in a job I didn't like, being someones bitch and being miserable.

As it happens I've got the best of both worlds right now Cheesy

But I know I'm on a heater overall so maybe next year I'll only earn 30k, but still, I'll be happier than most of my school friends I'm sure about that.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: August 13, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »

FYL if you're that bothered about saving under a bag a year over what amounts to 1/2 your working life Cheesy

Happiness is way more important than what is effectively a very small percentage of your earnings

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: August 13, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

FYL if you're that bothered about saving under a bag a year over what amounts to 1/2 your working life Cheesy

Happiness is way more important than what is effectively a very small percentage of your earnings

massive +1

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »

Must resist.

Young fellas sure grasp the fundamentals. 

Sorry, will post something better later

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 632 633 [634] 635 636 637 638 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: