blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1198 1199 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 1205 1206 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2543776 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18015 on: January 04, 2015, 07:23:12 PM »

looking forward to pm eso, was hoping to bend your ear about a few things.

beaneh, don't forget I lived in gangster Nottingham for nearly 6 years. And went to Africaaaa on my gap yahhh, so I know about these things.

Do I need to retell the stabbed in mexico story again? Cheesy

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #18016 on: January 04, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »

East Dulwich is going up, and easy access to London bridge.  It is close to Dulwich Village which is proper nice.  Also close to Peckham which isn't so good, though Peckam Rye isn't so bad.  But whoever you are in London, you are likely to be close to somewhere shitty. More of a struggle for the M11, but realistically how often are you going up there a year?  Think you pay a premium for Hackney due to its location.  There genuinely is a lot of murders/stabbings round there. 

Don't be put off though, loved my time in London.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18017 on: January 04, 2015, 08:10:11 PM »

looking forward to pm eso, was hoping to bend your ear about a few things.

beaneh, don't forget I lived in gangster Nottingham for nearly 6 years. And went to Africaaaa on my gap yahhh, so I know about these things.

Do I need to retell the stabbed in mexico story again? Cheesy

lol living in the provinces, it's London brah. games the same just gets fiercer 
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: January 05, 2015, 05:10:34 AM »

Nice montage Al, hope 2015 is even better  thumbs up
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: January 06, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-world-capital-poker/story-25811740-detail/story.html

See you get a mention.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: January 06, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »

"Mr Yong, who grew up in Bulwell but now lives in Strelley"

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18021 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »

I don't really like those articles. They always have an agenda and misquote you and make you come across different to how it actually was in the interview. I'm very careful with the things I write and say on social media and as I've gotten older, I'd hope I've gotten better at realising how things sound to other people.

I used to report my profit every month on here remember, and if I had a nice win, I'd say "came 4th for £x" on Facebook, but I don't do that anymore, I just say "came 4th". People can find out easily enough, but when you have family members there, school friends, girlfriends family etc, it doesn't come across well when you write amounts.

So I get annoyed that in an interview when they're pressing me for figures and I'm very careful to avoid it, they then misquote me as saying "In my first 6 months I had made £x" and give off exactly the impression I was trying to avoid.

That Nottingham one isn't so bad, but there was one in the Cambridge local paper which had a real angle to it. The interview was fine, and I thought he had asked fair enough questions and the article would be OK, but then I read it and all my teachers, school friends parents and family's friends have read this "Man drops out of University to gamble" article...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: January 08, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »

So I’m flying back to England after a week in Riga meeting Victoria’s family.

It was really nice, they are lovely people but it was not altogether easy. Her Dad speaks a little English, her Mum none at all and her sister a bit, but was very shy. So although conversation wasn't flowing, I got a lot of positive vibes and energy from them - we gave and received presents, and I think they approve!

But the language barrier was massive, Victoria was translating as much as she could, but it doesn’t make for fluid conversation at all. It often ended up in them just asking Victoria questions about me and she would answer them on my behalf! So that wasn’t easy. I’m not the kind of person that just sits around a dinner table in silence, I like to get stuck in!

It made me really motivated to learn Russian as quickly as possible. I started just before Christmas. It’s quite a challenge. Learning the alphabet is the first thing - 33 characters, with some similarities to english characters and it’s got the shape of the english alphabet too - with an “Ah” sound at the start, a middle section very similar to English (K through to U pretty similar sounds, but different symbols). There’s one or two that are very hard to pronounce. Theres’s two different letters for shhh! Shhhh and Ssshhhh apparently….

I learnt that after a couple of days, but reading it is another thing altogether. You have to translate each character, which takes time, then you’ve worked out what the word is, and then how to pronounce it (where the stress is, certain letters of the alphabet effect how others sound). Then once you’ve pronounced it you’ve got to learn what it means! So I learn that пожалуйста is pronounced "pozhaluysta" and it means please. I write it down, say it a few times.

Then the next day I see that word again, and have to read it again, slowly, letter by letter, then at some point realise that I read that word yesterday. It’s not like spanish where you read the word Gracias, learn it means Thank you, then tomorrow see Gracias again, and instantly know what it means.

So it’s a huge challenge. But one I’m relishing. I love hearing it spoken and it’ll be so much easier to communicate and get close to her family if I get good at it.

Currently I know about 40 basic words, about 10 basic phrases, and numbers up to 199 just about!

I always enjoy cultural differences and getting to know different traditions and a different mode de vive. Spending a week with a Russian family was really interesting.

I particular enjoyed a night out with Victoria's friends. I introduced them to a drinking game and said "the loser does a shot and the winner gets to nominate someone to drink a shot too".

"So the losers drink and if you win you don't get to drink???!! The winner should get two shots!"

That was their mentality. I've never drank so much. The amount they can drink is ridiculous. We each had roughly 12 tequila shots each. That is an amount that I would have thought not possible for me to drink. I hate tequila for starters and am a lightweight. I was proud of myself for being able to stand at the end, but these tiny girls were barely tipsy though! Quite an experience.

Tomorrow me and my two brothers Male and Bobby embark on our first holiday together. It's just 4 days skiing but I can't wait. We used to go as a family every year, I've probably been close to 20 times and love it. But in recent years haven't gone for one reason or another and I've missed it so much. Can't wait!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: January 08, 2015, 01:31:08 AM »

Good story enjoy hearing about this sort of stuff and I feel your pain.

My missus mum and dad basically speak zero English. Her sister speaks some as does her husaband. Find it totally frustrating when I'm there as its clear we all think we are decent people but just want to communicate better with each other. I can speak some some Thai, not a huge amount, but the language they speak is mostly Laos which is similar but different enough to make it impossible for me.

When I'm there they live in such a random part of Thailand that there is never an english menu even so I end up eating some random shit lol. Funnily enough even though they don't drink much our common ground is booze also lol, so there ya go...

She's been here in England for a little while now and is doing amazingly well considering food, weather etc. in fact she now said the weather here is better 'thailand too hot' lol, never thought I'd hear that in a million years....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:37:57 AM by Woodsey » Logged
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: January 08, 2015, 01:48:03 AM »

try learning пожалуйста on day one, revising it on day two and then not revising it again until day 7. Then revise it a final time after day 28.

you might need to tweak it for your own brain, but basically, memory fades over time (obviously...) so the best time to 'revise' something is at the point you're just about to forget it. After a month, you might need to revise it in three months then.

as somewhat of a language nerd, I can suggest trying to use what you learn, every single day - eg don't just say 'ok, so yesterday I learned that пожалуйста is please, so I should remember that' but rather 'ok, so I learned that пожалуйста is please, so how can I put that in a sentence with other words I learned today'.

glglgl learning - tough language!

edit: also, I wouldn't get hung up about the alphabet, you can learn it pretty quickly I imagine, and in any event, I guess at first most of your communication in the language is going to be spoken, so concentrate on that. and don't care about making mistakes. The number 1 reason people suck at foreign languages is because their adult social brains don't want them to act like a child in speaking and risk being misunderstood. try not to care about that, it makes stuff tonnnnnes easier.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:50:16 AM by mulhuzz » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:28 AM »

Post more пожалуйста

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: January 08, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »

I’m not the kind of person that just sits around a dinner table in silence, I like to get stuck in!

Me too!
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »

Aye i met my Mrs family in Estonia in the summer who didn't speak a word of the queens and i speak about 20 words of Estonian. I don't know about Russian, but with Estonian my mouth just doesn't seem to go the right shape to make the sounds, so i think im making the right noise but they all just laugh at the fat English bloke. The bastards weren't laughing when I ate half the countries supply of meat and drank them under the table.
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: January 08, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »

Good read Al. Have always respected the fact you just make things happen. Will have to dust
those "Speak Norwegian" CD's off. All the very best for 2015.

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »

Back from skiing. Was awesome. Not great weather / snow but was awesome in places and had some really great moments on the slopes with my brothers. Aside from a one day jolly with Ian Gascoigne 3 years ago, I haven't had a proper skiing holiday for 5 years, so I was really rusty, but it was great to get back out there again. When you're flying down the mountain with the wind in your face, there's no feeling like it.

Click to see full-size image.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 ... 1198 1199 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 1205 1206 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: