blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1146594 times)
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3300 on: March 27, 2016, 09:06:20 PM »

Make no mistake about the context of some isolated corner instructions, Senior was only calculating how to stop Blackwell.  If he thought the ref would stop it on head shots his instructions would of been to keep throwing head shots.

He was saying go to the body as in you can drop him and force a stoppage with body shots cus it doesn't look like the ref is going to stop this.

I agree with this. Snr was telling Jnr to attack the body from the early stages of the fight not only when he was starting to hurt him.

On another note it is disappointing to see that the link up with Booth never worked out although hardly surprising given the egos involved.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: March 27, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »

An enjoable fight i though.  VL is a cracking ref and I think he had a good look at Blackwell on a few occasions.   For all Eubank Jnr was firing those head shots and upper cuts there never seemed to be much power behind them.   I think the fight was stopped at the right time.   Also agree why Snr was telling Jnr to go to the body I think at one point he used the phrase "if you chop the trunk the tree will fall"  it was clear Blacwell had a chin that was withstanding what "power" Jnr had, the advice from Snr was never about compassion.   
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: March 27, 2016, 11:15:56 PM »

Yeah deffo telling him to hit the body to take him down. You can have a granite chin but no one can take continual body shots.
Also wtf with Eubank Sr delaying most rounds by still being in the ring or on the apron after the bell had rung to start the round.
Tommo

View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: March 28, 2016, 03:46:11 AM »

Make no mistake about the context of some isolated corner instructions, Senior was only calculating how to stop Blackwell.  If he thought the ref would stop it on head shots his instructions would of been to keep throwing head shots.

He was saying go to the body as in you can drop him and force a stoppage with body shots cus it doesn't look like the ref is going to stop this.

I agree with this. Snr was telling Jnr to attack the body from the early stages of the fight not only when he was starting to hurt
him.

On another note it is disappointing to see that the link up with Booth never worked out although hardly surprising given the egos involved.

I think it will cause Jnr real problems as he steps up in class, as seen in the Billy Joe fight he needed clearer information and instructions between rounds that he just will not get with his dad wanting to take over.
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: March 28, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »

if eubank senior could see it, and i tend to the view that he was being compassionate, what onearth was the ref doing?

All you can say for sure is hes hugely bias one way or the other. Ones his kid and the watson ordeal always played on his mind. Hes a pretty worthless view as ref?

As has been said the kid took some batterings and if eubank come back and did it again 30secs later it gets stopped but it didnt, blackwell came forward after every combo and eubank limped his way to the end of the round. As said his nose made things look worse but if you look at rounds where eubank didnt batter him early it had still exploded within a min of the round starting.

I thought during the fight he stopped it at the perfect time and after it was a blessing that the swelling above his eye appeared or the bleed would have been further aggravated. Also until then blackwell seemed to have a reasonable chance of winning the fight, with eubank missing wildly at times and getting caught unnecessarily frequently. Just one of those things where the guy was too brave for his own good. Hope he makes a full recovery and gets back.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: March 28, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »

There's a buch of stuff pissing me off including the scrutinising of Victor Loughlin's performance. In this thread we've given up  complaining about Terry O'Connor and Ian John Lewis. These very refs who prematurely end fights are the very same guys who routinely turn a blind eye to illegal shots. And I'm fairly certain a referee is not meant to carry a semi conscious fighter back to their corner at the end of a round. Sure enough when Kevin Johnson and Nathan Cleverley re-emerged after the bell they both got absolutely smoked. One particular clusterfuck that comes to mind is the Fielding-Vera KO https://youtu.be/yPel4rRFkZY?t=389. These heavy illegal shots can have severe health implications but a blind eye is turned to them and IJL was back refereeing on the next Sky card.

Tabloids like the Mirror spin up a story out of nothing just to help circulation. Eubank Senior's comments are irrelevant. Nobody in that corner pays attention to what Senior says. Ronnie Davies, the actual cornerman, he told Senior to shut up and asked Junior to keep doing what he's doing. Senior is only there for the TV camera's. Like Russell Grant, he's there to talk gibberish. You can interpret his gibberish whichever way you want but it doesn't mean he predicted the future.

Then there's the results orientated journalists. Look at UFC 196. Holly Holm was locked into a chokehold and was about to pass out but didn't tap. She got labelled brave for not tapping but choosing to lose consciousness is a stupid thing to do. If a fighter takes punishment they're brave. If they take punishment but happen to get seriously injured then they're too brave for their own good.

Then DaveShoelace pops up and asks if I'm a total fucking noob?
Make no mistake about the context of some isolated corner instructions, Senior was only calculating how to stop Blackwell.  If he thought the ref would stop it on head shots his instructions would of been to keep throwing head shots.

It was both, he was telling his boy how to win, but he had Blackwell's interest in mind too. Did you follow Snr when was fighting? After the Watson fight he pulled his punches in every single fight he had, and so many times didn't go for the KO when he had the chance. It's a testament to his talent that he still managed to win most of his bouts with that in mind.
If you are familiar with that era of boxing then you'll also know about the British Boxing Board of Control's world leading increased medical checks pre fight and the additional medical professionals ringside at every fight.

There's lots of other boxing stuff that stinks. The spate of Australian boxing deaths smell. The Prichard Colon case stinks. The Magomed Abdusalamov case is a very harrowing read http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/sports/magomed-abdusalamov-boxing-madison-square-garden.html?_r=0. Yet you are focusing on one of the cases that doesn't stink.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: March 28, 2016, 10:20:01 PM »

In the main the criticism of VL is after timing of the highest order. The misinterpretation of Eubank's comments is also tilting.

The BBBoC has many faults but when it comes to fighters safety they set the bar. It was also pleasing to see them come out in support of VL and Lockett.

Mickey Vann has also supported VL and gives a bit of insight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2016/03/28/boxing-referee-mickey-vann-nick-blackwell-fight-should-not-have/
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: March 30, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »

Arnold Gjerjaj is Haye's next opponent. A bit better than MDM but not much. He is 29-0 but the level of opposition has been dire. His best win is a UD against Bakhtov who AJ stopped in 2.

10% of all ticket sales being donated to Nick Blackwell is a nice touch
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: March 30, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »

Just watched fight for first time

Seems massive after timing to think the fight should have been stopped any earlier.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: March 30, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »

Paddy and Sportingbet opened up on Parker vs Takam with a difference of opinion http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/joseph-parker-v-carlos-takam/winner

I like the 4/9 on Parker. As per previous TFT bet's I didn't and still don't rate Takam.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: March 30, 2016, 07:25:23 PM »

Arnold Gjerjaj is Haye's next opponent. A bit better than MDM but not much. He is 29-0 but the level of opposition has been dire. His best win is a UD against Bakhtov who AJ stopped in 2.

Mr Gj went the full 8 rounds with Zoltan Csala but he must of absolutely ruined him as Csala was stopped in 4 by Gary Cornish and within 1 by big Nick Webb on Saturday night.
Gj also stopped Zarate in 7. Hughie Fury did it in 2.

At least Haye didn't pick Shannon Briggs. Let's go champ!
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: April 01, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »

I was waiting to see if anyone other than the unibet group went odds against on Helenius points when the Irish roflers came in at 2-1 and 11-10 on fight to go the distance http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/robert-helenius-v-johann-duhaupas/method-of-victory

It looks like they've taken a stance but you never know if a bookie could claim it's a palp and stoppage/decision was the wrong way around.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: April 02, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »

Bazza, talk me out of backing another drifter tonight in masher Dodd. I swear he mistook the 11th for being the 12th and final round. Dodd completely emptied the clip in the 11th and subsequently hit the wall in the 12th when running on fumes. He fought a good fight and would of won a decision if he'd fought at a regular pace for the last 2 rounds.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: April 02, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »

Bazza, talk me out of backing another drifter tonight in masher Dodd. I swear he mistook the 11th for being the 12th and final round. Dodd completely emptied the clip in the 11th and subsequently hit the wall in the 12th when running on fumes. He fought a good fight and would of won a decision if he'd fought at a regular pace for the last 2 rounds.

Well I've backed Cardle  Smiley

I don't disagree with your assessment of the first fight but I think we saw the worst of Cardle that night. Dodd isn't going to bring anything new to the table. Cardle has a bit more class at this level and should win handily enough imo.

I'm also hoping to lay the Fielding KO if there is a bit more liquidity later. Rebrasse showed he was granite against Groves and Smith.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: April 02, 2016, 06:51:30 PM »

Well you talked me out of it. I'll just be watching to see if Cardle boxes to instruction or gets a bit emotional again.

I agree with you on Fielding. I took 10/11 points earlier for the same reason.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: