blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 04:19:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272938 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Fit blondes in Berlin
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fit blondes in Berlin  (Read 84294 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: May 13, 2012, 10:00:04 PM »

No idea what the joke is, I will keep my advice to myself and keep wasting my monies! Happy runnings to all.

Matt just taking the piss out of me, because I always question the use of supplements that have no scientific research to back up their efficacy.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 13, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »

No idea what the joke is, I will keep my advice to myself and keep wasting my monies! Happy runnings to all.

Matt just taking the piss out of me, because I always question the use of supplements that have no scientific research to back up their efficacy.

Absolutely this. Keep the tips coming please. People can easily choose whether to try it or not.

I agree with you Craig that Stu should give glucosamine/chondrotin a spin.

I've actually got some that I'm not intending to use that I was going to let him have to see if it helps.

Do you use anything else? I've heard that cod liver oil is supposed to be a good one.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 14, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »

The joke is that Dan is a massive tool and loves to pick fault with people!

Please don't stop giving out advice.

I am happy to give anything a go and if Matt has some already then I am going to get on it!

When you say you had knee flare ups which bit was it? For me it is the the outside of the knee.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

I'm generally pretty sceptical about supplements but there is so much anecdotal evidence about the efficacy of glucosamine sulphate wrt joint problems that I'd be really surprised if it doesn't actually do what people claim. pretty sure I read somewhere that even though the fda haven't cleared it as a drug they have said that it probably works

and even if it does nothing it's a natural product so you're not going to do any harm taking it as long as you don't pop 10 pills a day

you can get a year's supply from zipvit for not much over a tenner, doubt you'll get a month's worth from a shop for that much

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »

I stopped running seriously for years after having my leg broken, which basically fked my ankle joint. The joint just always gave up.
Took Glucosamine but still got the pain.
About three years ago tried a combination of glucosamine and omega 3 fish oil supps and have been pain free since

No scientific proof to it just own experience of what works for me
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: May 15, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »

When I was about 30 I jumped off a shed and broke my heel. I was in plaster for about three months and when it was removed I was left with a limp.

The limp slowly disappeared over the course of about a year, but my gammy leg would still give out under pressure. If I walked or ran any distance, it would simply hurt more and more until I simply had to stop.

It stayed that way for perhaps 10 years. I just accepted it as a fact of life. Then, almost without me realising, it just got better. It's fine now.

I don't know what, if anything, this proves.

The older I get, the better I was.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »

I don't know what, if anything, this proves.

it proves that the heel is terribad at shock absorption which is quite relevant in a running discussion as about 90% of people heel strike when they run and this bad technique makes them about a million percent more likely to pick up injuries

had you landed properly on your toes you probably would've been fine

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »

It also shows that a lot of the time when people think a treatment is helping them feel better or recover it's actually them getting better anyway (apart from, or despite the intervention of a particular treatment).  The lack of a control to the study (with a sample size of 1) makes determining causation or correlation impossible.

Like when someone gets a headache, and reach for a couple of paracetamol and a glass of water.  Their headache goes in 30 minutes.  Was it the tablets, the water, the placebo effect, or just a matter of time and the headache would have subsided after half an hour if they'd done nothing anyway?  What about next time they get a headache - that's maybe caused by something different? Anecdotal evidence is unreliable at best, which is why we rely on properly run clinical trials and scientific studies.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 15, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »

It also shows that a lot of the time when people think a treatment is helping them feel better or recover it's actually them getting better anyway (apart from, or despite the intervention of a particular treatment).  The lack of a control to the study (with a sample size of 1) makes determining causation or correlation impossible.

Like when someone gets a headache, and reach for a couple of paracetamol and a glass of water.  Their headache goes in 30 minutes.  Was it the tablets, the water, the placebo effect, or just a matter of time and the headache would have subsided after half an hour if they'd done nothing anyway?  What about next time they get a headache - that's maybe caused by something different? Anecdotal evidence is unreliable at best, which is why we rely on properly run clinical trials and scientific studies.

See what we mean Craig? Absolute nob! ;-)

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: May 15, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »

See what we mean Craig? Absolute nob! ;-)

I am, but trusting science over unproven (and disproven) treatments isn't why!

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: May 15, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »

This was exactly the conclusion I was hoping someone would arrive at.

It's like the brown cow story,

There's a mathematician, a physicist and an engineer on a train going through Scotland. The engineer looks out the window and says "Oh! Look! A brown cow. All cows in Scotland must be brown.". The physicist says "No, no. All we can say is that some of the cows in Scotland are brown.". The mathematician then says "NO, NO! All we can say is that there is at least one cow in Scotland, at least one side of which must be brown."

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 15, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »

Such a nob. You could say this about absolutely anything.

Like when someone has a heart attack and needs a defibrillator to bring them round. How do we know they wouldn't have just got up and walked off if we'd just left them to it.

Or like when someone's severed an artery so someone kindly clamps it for them. How do we know it wouldn't have just healed itself if we'd left it alone?

Cliffs:

Nob.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 15, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »

Smiley I like that story but I'd usually put economist rather than engineer

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: May 15, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »

You couldn't say it about fanny.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »

Like when someone has a heart attack and needs a defibrillator to bring them round. How do we know they wouldn't have just got up and walked off if we'd just left them to it.

Or like when someone's severed an artery so someone kindly clamps it for them. How do we know it wouldn't have just healed itself if we'd left it alone?

Cliffs:

Nob.

LOL - you could say it about anything, if you were a nob.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: