blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  DTD Monte Carlo £250,000 Gtd: Day 3 and final
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DTD Monte Carlo £250,000 Gtd: Day 3 and final  (Read 132769 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: December 20, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

Yes, I think we need to ask exceptional poker players what they think and do exactly what exceptional poker players say. I love exceptional poker players and they are all my heroes. Didn't watch the stream as I don't agree with the concept and find it boring but caught up with Tighend's updates and can't imagine anything could compete with his sublime written word anyway. A master of the descriptive art and building tension. What's more live updates are funny and interactive for us the consumer so a much better medium imo.

Oh and is it to late to nominate my mate Gareth for the advent calendar? He doesn't post on Blonde but is a very nice guy and is good at poker.

I say fair play for speaking your mind.

I would say to DTD if you are offering a product where your target audience is 1% exceptional players the views of exceptional players are largely irrelevant. You should court the views of the average joe. I'd say personality, the ability to engage your audience, abillity to build excitement and be entertaining are more important than technical accuracy. Don't know if Trumper was those things as didn't watch. Tightend is those things without being an exceptional player. He could be an exceptional player thou, not sure, no offence intendended.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 20, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

Yes, I think we need to ask exceptional poker players what they think and do exactly what exceptional poker players say. I love exceptional poker players and they are all my heroes. Didn't watch the stream as I don't agree with the concept and find it boring but caught up with Tighend's updates and can't imagine anything could compete with his sublime written word anyway. A master of the descriptive art and building tension. What's more live updates are funny and interactive for us the consumer so a much better medium imo.

Oh and is it to late to nominate my mate Gareth for the advent calendar? He doesn't post on Blonde but is a very nice guy and is good at poker.

I would say to DTD if you are offering a product where your target audience is 1% exceptional players the views of exceptional players are largely irrelevant. You should court the views of the average joe. I'd say personality, the ability to engage your audience, abillity to build excitement and be entertaining are more important than technical accuracy. Don't know if Trumper was those things as didn't watch. Tightend is those things without being an exceptional player. He could be an exceptional player thou, not sure, no offence intendended.

I didn't watch the live feed either so can't comment on Simon's commentary specifically, but from the comments I've seen on the thread I think the main criticism has been that he was too results oriented. Imo a commentator needs to do more than just describe what is happening because people can see that, the trick to interesting commentary is to describe what is probably going on behind the scenes and that takes expert insight. I don't know the first thing about driving a formula 1 car but love to watch it with Martin Brundle's commentary since, as a former driver, he can speculate as to why the teams and drivers do what they do. Likewise with snooker nobody ever worries that Steve Davis and Denis Taylor's commentary will give too much away, and I know I'd much rather listen to a professional snooker player's commentary than some of the randoms that occasionally get drafted into commentary in other sports such as Colin Murray. Not having watched the live feed myself, I couldn't put Simon at either end of that scale btw.

Regardless, I'd say Simon would've had an almost impossible task to make real-time live poker interesting commentating on his own. I would speculate based on talking to Simon and from discussions on this forum in recent months that this was a decision by Simon to protect the integrity of the game, as pretty much everybody in the club yesterday had some connection to one of the finalists. Personally, I would happily have gone into the commentary box with Simon and wouldn't have passed on a single word of information onto Alex, but there is a difference between being impartial and being seen to be impartial. I appreciate it is a complicated issue that I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to balance it to everyone's satisfaction.

As to poker commentary in general, I think it would work best with two commentators, one thinking on roughly the same level of the best player at the table and one at the opposite end. The discussions between them and the questions and things that the 'layman' commentator says and how the 'expert' responds to them would provide a good insight into the dynamic and what is going on in the heads of the players at the table, for any viewer. In shows where everyone is thinking at a high level, such as in cash games like high stakes poker, I think two expert commentators would be best as many of the plays that take place would take too long for an expert commentator to explain to a beginner from scratch, whereas if all the players are beginners, an expert commentator would just spend the whole time picking apart bad plays and talking about stuff that should happen but isn't actually happening, so two 'casual players' with good banter would be best imo, maybe just sidestep all poker chat and talk about who the players look like or what they are wearing, as Norm and Chad do to great effect on the WSOP coverage.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 20, 2011, 06:44:09 PM »

My thoughts on some issues itt -

- didn't hear the commentary obv, but it was good enough to get my mum and dad glued to the screen (shocked as I was to learn that they'd ever be glued to an internet poker stream) so props to Simon. I'm TOTALLY convinced that Simon does a great job in the box, much better than any one of the "exceptional players" could do on their own. I think it should all be about getting poker communicated to a wider audience, getting the general public interested and excited which Simon, and Vicky, both do really well. I think that for next time, Simon could rope one of the railers in for an hour at a time and as a team they could do an excellent job. I would certainly be up for a stint in the box (used to pretend to commentate on F1 races as a kid - loved it Wink) From a selfish point of view I'd rather have two sickos commentating as I'd find that the most interesting/helpful, but the general public / majority of players aren't gonna listen to that cos it's boring / too technical / not exciting for them.

- collusion issues - pretty tough spot, Frankie is tighter than most and I know ppl said "he raise/callled KTo but folds JJ", the two hands are SO different as has been pointed out. Frankie 2.5x it and don't remember how much Beaneh shipped but think it was like 10 bigs or something. At the time I felt that Frankie had to call it off probably. Jack Allen is certainly not a crazy mental super aggro like pleno inferred, quite the opposite from what I saw this weekend in fact. He played good, solid, TAG poker. He knows his stuff, and is DEFO shipping wider than Frankie gives him credit for, Frankie thought I think TT+ or AQ/AK. So to fold JJ isnt totally unreasonable, he'd definitely fold 99 maybe TT so throw in the fact that he stakes Jack and what that means equity-wise then it's fine to fold JJ and probably correct.

Should any of Frankie's decisions be influenced by the fact he has 50% of Jack? Therein lies the issue imo. I don't know the answer to that. It's something that should be discussed though, as it's becoming super common for backers/backees to play in the same comps together so these issues  are arising more and more.

- Final Table atmosphere. By far the most fun Monte Carlo final table I've ever been on Tongue... JK, but seriously, colourful characters like Rastafish and Frankie and the clashes with Skipper and the interaction they have with the younger players like me/Dorey/Jake are what makes live poker so great. I wouldn't have it any other way. Rastafish is a great guy imo and has always been cool to me and we have a laugh all the time so I'm really happy for him.

- updates/stream sync issues - thought it worked really well and reading them back today, tighty managed to create the atmosphere/suspense without giving anything away and I just think it's the best solution to the synchronisation problems and should 100% be the standard for the future imo.

Thanks all for the support / rail, glad to give blonde a good sweat, shame I couldn't B2B it but it was Rasta's day and I sorta messed it up for myself despite the gods giving me a chance with the 75 vs Jake. Felt I didn't put a foot wrong on the FT until the J2 shove, really happy with my performance other than that. Next time....

- Mantis, those quotes in yr sig are sooo sad!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
shaun69uk

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

All the criticism is embarrassing to be honest.

If it's not to your taste then just switch it the f**k off and do something else.

If you were paying for it fair enough but you're not so stfu!

Evilpie you rock................. wp
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »

Do we know if Simon's commentary was done 'as it happened' or was he watching the 30 minute delayed feed and commentating off that?

I noticed at one point he mentioned problems with chip counts on the screen so he obviously knew what we could see which suggests he was possibly seeing exactly the same 30 minute old shots we were.

If he was watching it delayed then obviously there's no reason not to have people in there with him.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 20, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »

I often get told at work, complain if you like, be rude if you likle but you better have something to back it up. I said I didn't enjoy it, then I stated reasons why it could be better then stated that there are people who would do it for free, I even volunteered myself, putting myself into the firing line.

My last Two Clubs on the matter.

I don't really know you, I think its great to state personally held opinions. But in the Vicky Coren thread and this one you just sound silly. And when you back it up, you sound sillier.

Just because you have a conviction about something, doesn't mean it's interesting or serves any useful purpose. I have to remind myself of this all the time

sola virtus nobilitat
neverbluff67

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »

Great Post.

I didn't see any of the feed but I saw the feed from the last one, didn't JP Kelly come in for a little bit?!  I think Simon with special guests here and there is perfect but I'm sure he did a great job on his own, in what is a really difficult job.

DTD is the best card room in the UK and it's not close, even without the feed it's the best, but Ita great for UK poker that they have all these resources.

Big thankyou for all the support Smiley
Shame I couldn't win some money for the ones that bet on me!
And Sick job on the updates Tighty, they're always great entertainment.

neverbluff67

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 20, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »

The great post was aimed towards mantis not pleno**
Splash

WonkyJim / Donkeyjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »

Do we know if Simon's commentary was done 'as it happened' or was he watching the 30 minute delayed feed and commentating off that?

I noticed at one point he mentioned problems with chip counts on the screen so he obviously knew what we could see which suggests he was possibly seeing exactly the same 30 minute old shots we were.

If he was watching it delayed then obviously there's no reason not to have people in there with him.

He was commenting on a live feed that was then played back to us 30mins later.

".....and Buckley ponders how to play Aces to lose the maximum."
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 20, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »

"Empty seat at Xmas do Mr Cody, you even got amazing secret Santa gift. Where tf are you?"

James Mitchell
neverbluff67

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »

I woke up joke late sorry Sad
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »

No worries kid. Tell pez he saved me a 1er for ss
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 20, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

Jesse May + other.

not even close imo Tongue

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »

i somehow got wangled in that mix up post/quote but didnt put any of the content. wouldnt take any of Mantis credit anyway tho Tongue

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: