blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  DTD Monte Carlo £250,000 Gtd: Day 3 and final
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DTD Monte Carlo £250,000 Gtd: Day 3 and final  (Read 132764 times)
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »

Jesse May + other.

not even close imo Tongue

Jesse May + Alex Martin.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »

Jesse May + other.

not even close imo Tongue

Jesse May + Alex Martin.

Rastaman imo.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 20, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

Don't care about the standard of commentry or play tbh, just fun updates for me Smiley have a few days off tighend mate.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »

Yes, I think we need to ask exceptional poker players what they think and do exactly what exceptional poker players say. I love exceptional poker players and they are all my heroes. Didn't watch the stream as I don't agree with the concept and find it boring but caught up with Tighend's updates and can't imagine anything could compete with his sublime written word anyway. A master of the descriptive art and building tension. What's more live updates are funny and interactive for us the consumer so a much better medium imo.

Oh and is it to late to nominate my mate Gareth for the advent calendar? He doesn't post on Blonde but is a very nice guy and is good at poker.

I say fair play for speaking your mind.

I would say to DTD if you are offering a product where your target audience is 1% exceptional players the views of exceptional players are largely irrelevant. You should court the views of the average joe. I'd say personality, the ability to engage your audience, abillity to build excitement and be entertaining are more important than technical accuracy. Don't know if Trumper was those things as didn't watch. Tightend is those things without being an exceptional player. He could be an exceptional player thou, not sure, no offence intendended.

I didn't watch the live feed either so can't comment on Simon's commentary specifically, but from the comments I've seen on the thread I think the main criticism has been that he was too results oriented. Imo a commentator needs to do more than just describe what is happening because people can see that, the trick to interesting commentary is to describe what is probably going on behind the scenes and that takes expert insight. I don't know the first thing about driving a formula 1 car but love to watch it with Martin Brundle's commentary since, as a former driver, he can speculate as to why the teams and drivers do what they do. Likewise with snooker nobody ever worries that Steve Davis and Denis Taylor's commentary will give too much away, and I know I'd much rather listen to a professional snooker player's commentary than some of the randoms that occasionally get drafted into commentary in other sports such as Colin Murray. Not having watched the live feed myself, I couldn't put Simon at either end of that scale btw.

Regardless, I'd say Simon would've had an almost impossible task to make real-time live poker interesting commentating on his own. I would speculate based on talking to Simon and from discussions on this forum in recent months that this was a decision by Simon to protect the integrity of the game, as pretty much everybody in the club yesterday had some connection to one of the finalists. Personally, I would happily have gone into the commentary box with Simon and wouldn't have passed on a single word of information onto Alex, but there is a difference between being impartial and being seen to be impartial. I appreciate it is a complicated issue that I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to balance it to everyone's satisfaction.

As to poker commentary in general, I think it would work best with two commentators, one thinking on roughly the same level of the best player at the table and one at the opposite end. The discussions between them and the questions and things that the 'layman' commentator says and how the 'expert' responds to them would provide a good insight into the dynamic and what is going on in the heads of the players at the table, for any viewer. In shows where everyone is thinking at a high level, such as in cash games like high stakes poker, I think two expert commentators would be best as many of the plays that take place would take too long for an expert commentator to explain to a beginner from scratch, whereas if all the players are beginners, an expert commentator would just spend the whole time picking apart bad plays and talking about stuff that should happen but isn't actually happening, so two 'casual players' with good banter would be best imo, maybe just sidestep all poker chat and talk about who the players look like or what they are wearing, as Norm and Chad do to great effect on the WSOP coverage.

Formula 1 is a good example. I think Martin Brundle is a great commentator and agree his experience as a driver offers a technically proficient insight, which is more than useful. However, I reckon the majority of average racing fans would say Murray Walker was the instantly recognisable voice of racing and the number 1 commentator. The excitement he brought to the sport with the tone of his voice will be forever remembered and the mistakes he made in his flustered state only heightend the enjoyment for the audience. He didn't drive F1 cars as I recall and his lack of technical insight was little handicap during a long and successful commentating career.

@Alex - Maybe grow a sense of humour and stop taking yourself so seriously. Sigs are hilarious.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 20, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »

<3 Mantis

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 20, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »

thanks alex.

wp on the table

J 2 OFF
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 20, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »

<3 Mantis

Erm im claiming the <3 mantis  spot. © Wink

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
Rotty

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 20, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »

seeing as I didn't pay anything for the streaming coverage or the updates on here I find it hard to be anything other than satisfied with both Smiley

discomonkey

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 21, 2011, 03:33:31 AM »

seeing as I didn't pay anything for the streaming coverage or the updates on here I find it hard to be anything other than satisfied with both Smiley

i dont think anyone can complain and say "id rather have nothing at all"
the fact is this is the 1st(or one of the 1st) times this has been done at dtd in one of their own mtts, and as is likely while cutting their teeth in a new area, improvements will be possible....

1. i think simon commentating on his own is a mistake, its too hard to keep up with everything going on and there is noone to pick up from you if u lose ur train of thought or to bounce ideas off of. i have done commentry before when playing under pkr and there were times that its good to have the co-commentator there to give u a nudge or say something random about the players till u get ur train of thought back.

2. i personally didnt like simons commentary bc of its heavily result oriented nature, if he altered that and spoke about possible hand combos instead of just the hands in play, i would most likely have watched a lot more of it and enjoyed it, in terms of high quality in depth poker jargon, of which there wasnt a tonne, it isnt overly relevant imo considering the large percent of people watching wont give 2 hoots about the viability of jake cody triple range merging with 2 players behind in a 3bet pot....

3. i think it would be a good idea to have some of the better technical players in there with simon (or whoeevr they choose next time), can balance the conversation more with in depth poker talk and the stuff the average joe wants to hear without alienating either of the audiences and pleasing as many people as possible.

pleno has a point in that the stream can be improved, but you could have had a bit more tact about it buddy.... for example suggesting yourself as a candidate to do it instead isnt going to rub people up the right way.

my Two Clubs...
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 21, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »

I did put myself forward and offer suggestions and sympathasize how hard a job it is and apologise for my tone and repeatedly complimented on his job with dtd.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Rotty

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

1. i think simon commentating on his own is a mistake, its too hard to keep up with everything going on and there is noone to pick up from you if u lose ur train of thought or to bounce ideas off of. i have done commentry before when playing under pkr and there were times that its good to have the co-commentator there to give u a nudge or say something random about the players till u get ur train of thought back.

my Two Clubs...

I did say that to the missus at the time ( I bet she was really interested Wink )  so agree on that point, iI would imagine the audisnce would be small though so cost would be an issue, my point was more that it si good to see this sort of thing being done at no cost

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

Once upon a time there were two guys... Mr Beggar and Mr Chooser

Mr Beggar was having a hard time of it  and struggling to make ends meet . Mr Chooser was a nice guy, doing okay for himself that used to buy and cook his own food and always made sure Mr Beggar had a hot meal . However. ..One day Mr Beggar decided that the food Mr Chooser made was not to his liking so he complained.
"Is it possible we can change the menu as I dont like the food ?" asked Mr Beggar...Well as you can imagine Mr Chooser was pretty taken a back and replied " I go out to work and make my own money and provide you with a free meal and service..AND ALL YOU DO IS COMPLAIN ! "...  Mr Chooser was upset and angry and continued to remonstrate "I suggest if you do want any input at meal time it might be a good idea to try and find some work, generate some money and maybe do something positive at least that way you will have contributed to the cause, In the meantime I will choose my own food as I pay for it !.

Having listened to Mr Choosers choice words he sat back and contemplated........

"Do I Mr Beggar really have a genuine cause to complain about Mr Choosers Free Meal Service ? " ....................    or .......................
 " Do I fore go my right of opinion because of my current status ? "

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:24:31 PM by FUN4FRASER » Logged
chatban

I harv a veek harnd.

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 21, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »

So to sum up beggar and chooser were friends who managed to break down the stigma of tramp/ civilised people relations?

Top blokes I say.

TLDR
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 21, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »

i dont think anyone can complain and say "id rather have nothing at all"
the fact is this is the 1st(or one of the 1st) times this has been done at dtd in one of their own mtts, and as is likely while cutting their teeth in a new area, improvements will be possible....

2. i personally didnt like simons commentary bc of its heavily result oriented nature, if he altered that and spoke about possible hand combos instead of just the hands in play, i would most likely have watched a lot more of it and enjoyed it, in terms of high quality in depth poker jargon, of which there wasnt a tonne, it isnt overly relevant imo considering the large percent of people watching wont give 2 hoots about the viability of jake cody triple range merging with 2 players behind in a 3bet pot....

3. i think it would be a good idea to have some of the better technical players in there with simon (or whoeevr they choose next time), can balance the conversation more with in depth poker talk and the stuff the average joe wants to hear without alienating either of the audiences and pleasing as many people as possible.

pleno has a point in that the stream can be improved, but you could have had a bit more tact about it buddy.... for example suggesting yourself as a candidate to do it instead isnt going to rub people up the right way.

my Two Clubs...
would this person be who is better technically than simon be a person who has no live results to talk of maybe having got lucky once or twice having played every ept/wsop/wpt event for the last two years who thinks its the correct play to come over the top (with any two cards) of a guy that clearly only has KK+ in his rangeor fails to understand the concept that most weak players in live poker can not fold top pair top kicker. Sorry Karl but it always seems to be you i have a go at. Not intentional but i love you.

if i had to listen to bollocks like this:

sorry guys, was really a super tournament. Im going out tonight but gonna do a mini-report before a full(ish) one tomorrow. starting table was golden, really one of the softest in the room and only two players i recognised, sim (one of the crazy (slightly hot) twins) from north london and a regular solidish nit from the circuit. Got off well, guy misclick min-opens from the small, i defend T4o bvb, TT5r, check check, turn 4, bet, raise call. River A, he check calls a psb to go to 35k. Nick a couple more to go to 38k peak.

Utg opens (exceptionally loose ep open (A8o/78o showndown, willingness to bet/giveup/fold a tonne) opens utg to 475@ 75/150, called by another more solid guy in mp, i sqz K5hh to 1550 (1st 3b in 4 orbits, really wanna boost 3b range for later as our table wont break all day), get coldcalled by early late arrival 40-something on btn. OR calls, flatter folds, coldcalled calls. Q74hh, bet, called by cold-caller of 3b, utg folds. Turn offsuit 5, he calls. River pairs the 4; kinda unsure/fun spot, dont know if the average 40-something regular is folding AQ/KQ, i elect to giveup and he ships. Thought about hero for 0.4 secs then remembered where i was and left the cape in the hotel. Possibly in hindsight ship could be good, but table wasnt really one for taking small edges i figured at the time, plus i block KQ and action weighs AQ heavily. Ppl dont go to nottingham to fold toptop in a 1k.

Dropped to 28k after an open got 3b by sim, who was being REALLY splashy at this moment in time. Iv played with her before and she can be a pain in the arse tbh, she's kinda crazy and really unpredictable. Our most recent history (sorry/tangent) was a hand i played in a gup side @ the vic in a 400. @ 150/300/25 with an avo stack of 12k (we both have avo) im in bb w KQo. Utg starts a family limpathon (ENTIRE table) and she completes the sb. I go 2600 and watch utg call along with CO and Btn. She now ships and im pretty much fistpump snapping. Btn also calls and Sim snaps w AQo, but im normally quite blessed and got there, but i think the hand is fine/kinda standard w dead monies/range blabla (sorry/5 pints in). Other history is basically me trying rare big bluffs and her doing loopy shit, but in this comp at this table i figured id let her burn out before playing 50% of hands again/ high variance spots on this table were not optimal.

So sin burns out and im down to 24k. I open A9dd utg 1075 with 2 ppl satout (looseish @ 200/400 but think its ok). Ug+1 calls (active casually dressed/neat chip stacks/ rum and coke drinking- details ftw) and the loose fishy button calls. Kq4dd, i cbet 1750 and utg+1 SNAP makes it 5.5k. Buttn folds am im kinda like fml. I elect to call; thoughts? I dunno about 3b call/really cant szee a range im in good shape against but obv hate fold/too deep to ship. Meh. Anyhow, turn bricks and he sets me in/meh.

Guy turns up late, ladder satellite qualifier i overhear. I open Q9o in the co, he defends bb. 662hh, he c/c. Turn , c/c. (i have absolutely no history with this guy; but hes tilting the fk out of me by wearing sunglasses in nottingham in the middle of winter/having the dealer remind him every other hand that its his turn to act because hes watching red-tube on his ipad (animal-p fwiw) and he's one of those muggles that spent too much time watching late-night poker and wants to stare down a limped pot multiway with 4 bigs in the middle). I check to rep pot-control/showdown blabla. River is a T. I elect to vbet 1//2 pot figuring his range is mainly small-med pp's, obv he went to hogwarts and the wizard calls w A5o. Dinner break. see harry in the queue and decide to swerve the buffet and hit vinny's fave over the road. Have a beer and elect to go for it when return.

Im now on 18k. I get slightly tilted after it goes limp+4 and btn makes it 1250 otb/i fold AJcc in the sb(realllllly close imo, but btn is tight and seemingly quite good) and an AJ4r flop sees a lot of bb's fly in multiway/ AK wins. Then i fold KTo otb in a multiway coup and see a KTx flop and ppl throwing in car keys/wives etc and a bluff wins small bean. Anyhow/slightly tilted now (honesty ftw).

Ok, pretty crucial hand, may well have fked this up in hindsight. Utg harry limps. I iso KJo in and btn cooldcalls/harry's obv in. K93r. check, i cbet, btn calls, wizard lowers his glasses and gives me a staredown, then makes is 3X. I really am flummoxed. I mean wtf. Will finish this tomorrow, mate is pissed im typing so slow and we wanna go out. Gonna play again tomorrow, redbull has re-booked his 10%, anyone else want in (same 30% being sold/previous investors 1st then 1st come/1st served) post here/pm or buy me a beer in dtd lounge.

manyana, al, x x

instead of:

Richard Garner knocks out Alex Martin

versus    on   two hearts

Alex check raises all in, called, and misses the river.

I know how gifted you, alex and the rest of the 1% either having a go at Simon or wanting a technically gifted commenator in the booth are, but i am in the 99% or would like to listen to the clueless ramblings of Trumper, Coren ,Channing, Marrow, Power and May over the top gifted ones like south, hastings, townsend who like to get theirs by bumming isuldur1. Smiley

edit: (can someone come up with a smiley opening up a can of worms please)

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
tteeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 21, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

I watched the final table stream and was very happy DTD had offered it tbh, to be able to watch the final online for free is just one of many reasons why dtd and simon trumper are the by far the no 1 in UK Poker.

Normally when something has commentary their is two people a commentator and a summariser/expert. Simon did both jobs, thats why it sounded different. hats off to him for doing it, as it cant of been easy to do TWO jobs.

Well done DTD & Simon

Edit:  Tighty the photos and updates on blonde are brilliant, very funny comments/ photos and very informative! Perfect Combo Imo. Thanks for all your work, i don't post normally but im here reading!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:11:37 PM by tteeeeee » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: