blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272717 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make thin ....Here we go again !
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 ... 341 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make thin ....Here we go again !  (Read 495781 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »

Been reading Lyle McDonald books for the past few days and did not believe this when I read it but it turns out it's true.

source for correlation? And subsequent side effects?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: July 15, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: July 15, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

Cheers, I found this http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/07/24/3549931.htm but what you've put is really what I was looking for  thumbs up

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: July 18, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

starting weight this year 17 stone 10 lb

weight as of  07/06/14  ..........  16 stone 11lb
Weight as of 14/06/14............. 16 stone 9 lb
Weight as of 22/06/14.........16 stone 11 lb
Weight as of 29/06/14..........16 stone 13 lb
Weight as of 4/07/14........16 stone 9 lb
Weight as of 11/07/14.....16 stone 7lb
weight as of 18/07/14......16 stone 5lb

I Bought salad boxes from cob the  shop this week and really enjoyed them

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:26 AM »

How we doing guys?

What does your breakfast look like this morning?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4475 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »

How we doing guys?

What does your breakfast look like this morning?

Porridge with a few walnuts, some sunflower seeds and a handful of blackcurrants.

Tea.

Like this only with an orange instead of a banana.

Click to see full-size image.

No weigh in for me until tomorrow. It hasn't been the best of weeks but I'm not really worried if I've gained a pound or so. I'm not on a strict diet, I'm just making healthy choices when I can.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:47:03 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »

Back here again. Was down to 17 and a half stone a month and a half ago. Now I am 18 and a half stone after a good time (vacation) going ott on oils via crisps and nuts. I didn't exercise either.

Now I am no oils, no nuts vegan and I am going to clock 3 miles a day in a run/walk/jog and 2 sets of 10-14 reps of a full body dumbbell workout. Got lower back and hamstrings problems while exercising, but that is just from under use I think. Going to crack on until fully fit by the end of the year.

Meals daily are full of veg and brown rice potatoes. Love it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »

Down to 13-3, after returning from Vegas @ 13-10, so making good progress. Need to drop another half a stone though.

Question for the experts.   

I have a daily bowl of fresh fruit, big bowl, too. Strawberries, blackcurrants, grapes, sometimes with a sliced banana.

I've recently discovered Greek yoghurt & granola, so I add a tablespoonful of yogy & sprinkle some granola on top of the fruit, it's delish & filling.

But then I read this, about Greek yogy.....

Fat. Be wary of Greek yogurt's fat content. In just 7 ounces, Fage's full-fat Greek yogurt packs 16 grams of saturated fat—or 80 percent of your total daily allowance if you're on a 2,000-calorie diet. (That's more than in three Snickers bars.) Dannon's regular full-fat yogurt has 5 grams of saturated fat in an 8-ounce serving. Saturated fat raises total and "bad" LDL cholesterol levels, increasing the risk for heart disease.      

Is that true? Is it as bad as it sounds? More saturated fat than three Snickers bars?

I just have one (large) tablespoon full at a time, once every day.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: July 21, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »

It sounds about right but I think you should keep in mind that a tablespoon will be about half an ounce so it shouldn't really be a problem (I would have thought)

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4479 on: July 21, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »

Takeaway lunch.

Click to see full-size image.

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: July 21, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »

Down to 13-3, after returning from Vegas @ 13-10, so making good progress. Need to drop another half a stone though.

Question for the experts.   

I have a daily bowl of fresh fruit, big bowl, too. Strawberries, blackcurrants, grapes, sometimes with a sliced banana.

I've recently discovered Greek yoghurt & granola, so I add a tablespoonful of yogy & sprinkle some granola on top of the fruit, it's delish & filling.

But then I read this, about Greek yogy.....

Fat. Be wary of Greek yogurt's fat content. In just 7 ounces, Fage's full-fat Greek yogurt packs 16 grams of saturated fat—or 80 percent of your total daily allowance if you're on a 2,000-calorie diet. (That's more than in three Snickers bars.) Dannon's regular full-fat yogurt has 5 grams of saturated fat in an 8-ounce serving. Saturated fat raises total and "bad" LDL cholesterol levels, increasing the risk for heart disease.      

Is that true? Is it as bad as it sounds? More saturated fat than three Snickers bars?

I just have one (large) tablespoon full at a time, once every day.

Some of the numbers quoted here are incorrect and lots of information is missing. Crucially: Fage's Greek Yogurt contains 3.6g of saturated fat/100g. So in 7 ounces (roughly 200g) there is 7.2g of saturated fat, which is less than half what the author is claiming! What about the missing information?

Fat is a tricky subject, because some things are so ingrained in people's minds and also a lot of the information out there is false or incomplete. If I was going to write an article about fruit and I wanted to glorify it a bit, here's what I would say "Be careful, though, while Strawberries may be packed with vitamins, they are also packed with sugar! Per calorie, there is more sugar content in 100g of strawberries than there are in TWO Mars Bars!"

Obviously I'm failing to mention a lot of other crucial stuff here, either because I fancy a bit of sensationalism to draw hits to my site or because I flat out don't know any different because I'm citing my information without really knowing how to digest it (lol puns.) For example, the sugars found in strawberries occur naturally, and that's also where the strawberry draws almost all of its calories from. For the record, per 100g, strawberries contain around 35 calories and 5g of sugar; Mars Bars on the other hand are 449 calories, with 59.7g of sugar. So you can see the information I provided in my sensationalised statement wasn't incorrect, it was just wrong.

Saturated fats occur naturally everywhere. You will find 4g of saturated fat in your average chicken breast, but chicken is a wonderful food and an absolute staple in the diets of athletes and bodybuilders. Three large boiled eggs weighs in at 4.5g of saturated fat. That's the same as a Snickers Bar! Why am I not having Snickers for breakfast instead of eggs and vegetables?!

Here's why:
  • 100g of eggs comes in around 150 calories, whereas 100g of Snickers comes in at 500!
  • The ratios of macronutrients are about 1:0:1 protein:carbs:fat in eggs, whereas they are around 1:6:3 in a Snickers Bar. (For reference, a normal human being who is not looking to put any on any muscle, or lose any fat - what we call maintenance - is going to want to eat at a ratio of roughly 3:5:2)
  • The composition of the fat itself. I won't pretend to be an expert on this, but in a nutshell (omg so much pun) there are different acid groups found in fats and some are much better for you than others.

FURTHERMORE to the quote in your original post. YES saturated fats will increase your LDL (bad cholesterol) but what the article fails to mention is that it will also increase your HDL (good cholesterol) without affecting the ratio of the two.

To summarise then: that spoonful of greek yogurt you're putting on your oats and fruit in the morning is perfectly safe. Sounds like a great breakfast in fact. Smiley

I'll finish with this quote from Chris Kesser:

"Cardiovascular disease is one of the most misdiagnosed and mistreated conditions in medicine. We’ve learned a tremendous amount about what causes heart disease over the past decade, but the medical establishment is still operating on outdated science from 40-50 years ago."
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »

Another great post from Sean.....
We really appreciate the time you take out of your day to help us fatties thank you.

starting weight this year 17 stone 10 lb

weight as of  07/06/14  ..........  16 stone 11lb
Weight as of 14/06/14............. 16 stone 9 lb
Weight as of 22/06/14.........16 stone 11 lb
Weight as of 29/06/14..........16 stone 13 lb
Weight as of 4/07/14........16 stone 9 lb
Weight as of 11/07/14.....16 stone 7lb
weight as of 18/07/14......16 stone 5lb
Weight as of 25/07/14.......16 stone 5lb

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: July 26, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

I'm not on a strict diet, I'm just making healthy choices when I can.

I kind of overlooked this post because I really zeroed in on tikay's sat fat debauckle.

What I want to do though, is put this quote in neon lights and make some big arrows that point towards it.

None of us here are athletes, or competitive bodybuilders, or models. We don't need to be exact or strict. However, none of us here want to be fat. We DO need to be disciplined and smart. Let's be honest with ourselves and make the healthier choices where we can. Smiley
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: July 27, 2014, 10:18:40 AM »

I'm not on a strict diet, I'm just making healthy choices when I can.

I kind of overlooked this post because I really zeroed in on tikay's sat fat debauckle.

What I want to do though, is put this quote in neon lights and make some big arrows that point towards it.

None of us here are athletes, or competitive bodybuilders, or models. We don't need to be exact or strict. However, none of us here want to be fat. We DO need to be disciplined and smart. Let's be honest with ourselves and make the healthier choices where we can. Smiley

Am persisting with that Greek Yogy.

Giant bowl of fruit - strawberries, grapes, black currants. Then a table spoon of Greek Yogy, with a little granola sprinkled on top, & on top of all that, a sliced banana. It is SO beautiful, I eat it really slowly, to savour every moment. Must be said, after going through my internal waste treatment mechanism, it all exits rather more quickly the next morning. There are few nicer feelings.

13-1 now, down from 13-10 when I got home from Vegas just under a month ago.

Have you noticed how beautiful fresh tomatoes are at this time of year? Succulent, full of juice, & barely a calorie or bit of sat-fat to be seen.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4484 on: July 27, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »

Giant bowl of fruit - strawberries, grapes, black currants. Then a table spoon of Greek Yogy, with a little granola sprinkled on top, & on top of all that, a sliced banana. It is SO beautiful, I eat it really slowly, to savour every moment. Must be said, after going through my internal waste treatment mechanism, it all exits rather more quickly the next morning. There are few nicer feelings.

Well that anecdote will certainly help me to eat less today.

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 ... 341 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: