blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 959023 times)
AlcaPwn

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: May 27, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »

What a daft question. Do you have a current or previous employer?

Someone who has been playing poker since they were 16 could answer yes if they had a paper round and give the address of their local newsagent.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Anyone can look at form here without completing it

Surely they are looking for people who might try and work illegally here and not for poker players.  Saying you have been unemployed for 10 years seems the worst answer?  Think I'd go self employed poker player, though can't be sure it is right.

I think its quite important to have in mind that they are using this information (and the rest) to risk assess likely over stayers/those seeking illegal employment.  However it will just be one of many indicators that are risk scored and would suspect things like country of residence is also taken account of.  Those that score 'high' they may want to interview at the border to explore their circumstances further before allowing entry.  Remember ESTA is permission to travel, not permission to enter.  That all said it is obviously much worse to not tell the truth on the ESTA and be discovered at the border.  I suspect that would only lead to being popped back on the next flight 99.9% of the time.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:34 AM »

I've seen several of the shows on numerous occasions.  Some of them are (were) so incredible to watch with so much going on that you can't possibly take everything in on one take.  2nd/3rd/4th time around you still see stuff happening that you missed previously.  And with free tickets easier to get than ever, it's a better evening than sat card dead for a couple of hours in a cash game....

Hi Simon,

Can you explain how free tickets are easier to get than ever?

Would be nice to see some free decent shows while there
Yeah, spill the beans please Simon, I like free stuff too.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 27, 2015, 11:21:40 AM »

You aren't going to like the answer Cos.... it requires effort!!

I haven't got time to write out a full answer, there are other ways also.  But one example is myvegas slots app on FB.  Truth be told, if I had my time again, I might not even start with it as it takes a fair amount of time to build up any momentum on there from scratch.  But basically in the time it takes to check your email each day or read the news etc, you can have it running on another screen, or even another tab. You can play it for free, you get given coins each day and you build your own strip where you can pick up additional free coins each day.  Play thru with those coins generate loyalty Points, which can be cashed in for rewards.  I suppose it is a nitty way to get free stuff, but once you are properly up and running, 2 mins a day is all you need.

As an idea, last year I redeemed some points for a $75 steakhouse credit (free bottle of decent wine basically) and tickets to Love and Zarkana.  I am currently on Level 300 and have 500k points, so I suppose 500k points is roughly what you are looking at for hitting "auto-start" each day (once fully up and running).  I think Marky is on about level 1200 and has a few zillion points....

Roughly 50k points would get you a midweek room comp, 100k points would get you a weekend room comp, 40k points would get you a CDS ticket, 80k points would get you a premium CDS ticket.  So, you could easily buy yourself 2 or 3 decent show tickets for free, but you won't be doing it this year Smiley

The room comps aren't for the best MLife properties, but might suit some people that are happy to stay there, obv lots of blackout dates, but if anyone can be bothered, you should be able to get 2-3 nights comp'd for your stay.  I don't really have any use for the room comps, so I generally pick up show tickets (lots of shows I wouldn't pay to see again, but very happy to see for free.

Pawprint

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 27, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »

I've resolved to go to a magic show this year. I'm a big fan of magic, so I know the main acts: Penn & Teller, Copperfield, Angel, etc.

Has anyone got any recommendations? How long are the shows? Audience participation? Value for money?

Make sure you check the P&T dates.  Their last show during the WSOP is Monday 29th June, as they are doing a run in New York during the summer.

They've also cancelled a few dates in June according to TM.

dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »

Apologies if answered elsewhere but I haven't been to Vegas for about five years. Planning a last minute trip next week and I'm going to be combining playing poker with my job so wondering about...

1) The state of wi-fi in the poker rooms, don't mind paying for it (will be mostly playing Planet Hollywood and The Rio)
2) How hard it is to get a pay as you go phone out there, or even if that's still the best option.

TIA for any help.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »

I've resolved to go to a magic show this year. I'm a big fan of magic, so I know the main acts: Penn & Teller, Copperfield, Angel, etc.

Has anyone got any recommendations? How long are the shows? Audience participation? Value for money?

Make sure you check the P&T dates.  Their last show during the WSOP is Monday 29th June, as they are doing a run in New York during the summer.

They've also cancelled a few dates in June according to TM.

UK Tour in June Cheesy

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »

Apologies if answered elsewhere but I haven't been to Vegas for about five years. Planning a last minute trip next week and I'm going to be combining playing poker with my job so wondering about...

1) The state of wi-fi in the poker rooms, don't mind paying for it (will be mostly playing Planet Hollywood and The Rio)
2) How hard it is to get a pay as you go phone out there, or even if that's still the best option.

TIA for any help.

Do you have a WSOP Media Pass, Nick? That helps enormously.

There is excellent Media wifi at The Rio, it only gets overloaded during the Main.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »

TIA for any help.

Last couple years I've gotten the simcards before I went, but always bought PAYG over there previously with no problems.

I always used to grab one while I did a bit of shopping at the Fashion Show.

Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:03 PM »

TIA for any help.

Don't know if it's what you need but I've bought a 3 sim card for 75p from B and M's, popped it into my (unlocked) phone and apparently all you need to do is buy a 'feel at home' credit bundle over here (for example I think you get 200 minutes, 3000 texts and 2gb of data for £20) and then just use it in the states as you would at home as 3 has no roaming charges.
Someone recommended it on here.

*edit* Just checked the website and you need to buy an 'add on' for £15 which gets you 300 mins, 3000 texts and what should be all you can eat data but they limit it to 25gb abroad,  so it's actually even better than I thought.  You do have to double check with 3 that your roaming is on though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:28:12 PM by Redsgirl » Logged

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 27, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »

I personally didn't rate Penn and Teller, felt their show was very tired and they were cashing in their chips a bit, giving a "here's a trip down memory lane" (= here's all our old tricks for you) but others on here enjoyed it.  Angel, I spoke to someone that was involved in the production and they said he was a prize dick, very very arrogant and the show was just a terrible show.  Kind of surprised it is still running, but if you have to make any choices, drop this one.

Never seen Copperfield, did see Lance Burton (not sure if he still has a show) which was pretty decent (but then it was a free ticket...)

I saw Nathan Burton on a free ticket, with nothing better to do one afternoon. Not bad
Kris Angel must be shit, Mlife properties were virtually giving the tix away for his shows.

Simon how much bloody time did you spend on myvegas to get to that level? I started on my tablet, non facebook app, only joined facebook to cash the points in. I got to level 40, but just used auto spin as much as possible.
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 27, 2015, 11:36:11 PM »

TIA for any help.

There is excellent Media wifi at The Rio, it only gets overloaded during the Main.
Hey Tony,

Don't have a media pass unfortunately, wasn't planning to go to Vegas at all until today! I just need to access email, Facebook and Twitter for work purposes, with the plan being to respond to any queries during tournament breaks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:37:44 PM by dino1980 » Logged
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »

TIA for any help.

Last couple years I've gotten the simcards before I went, but always bought PAYG over there previously with no problems.

I always used to grab one while I did a bit of shopping at the Fashion Show.
Thanks, that sounds like a plan to me.
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »

TIA for any help.

Don't know if it's what you need but I've bought a 3 sim card for 75p from B and M's, popped it into my (unlocked) phone and apparently all you need to do is buy a 'feel at home' credit bundle over here (for example I think you get 200 minutes, 3000 texts and 2gb of data for £20) and then just use it in the states as you would at home as 3 has no roaming charges.
Someone recommended it on here.

*edit* Just checked the website and you need to buy an 'add on' for £15 which gets you 300 mins, 3000 texts and what should be all you can eat data but they limit it to 25gb abroad,  so it's actually even better than I thought.  You do have to double check with 3 that your roaming is on though.
Thanks for this, I don't have an unlocked phone sadly so not sure that'll work for me, thank your for the reply though.
Gemini Kings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3178 on: May 28, 2015, 04:02:40 AM »

ESTA asks for Employment information now.

Any suggestions of the best way to complete this section if main income is poker for ten years? I've been grilled and searched twice before and want to avoid that if possible this time, not sure how to give a satisfactory answer to this section though.

just got my ESTA approved 24 hours after submitting. Answered no to 'previous employer' question.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 28, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

TIA for any help.

Hey Tony,

Don't have a media pass unfortunately, wasn't planning to go to Vegas at all until today! I just need to access email, Facebook and Twitter for work purposes, with the plan being to respond to any queries during tournament breaks.

Have sent you a PM, Nick.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: