blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 7376 7377 7378 7379 [7380] 7381 7382 7383 7384 ... 9207 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13332979 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110685 on: December 24, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »

It's not the sort of market that interests me in betting on, but I'm intrigued by Pep & the "Next Manager" prices.

He is 1/6 to go to Man City, & 8/1 to Arsenal.

Of the two prices, the 8/1 seems far better value.

I'm sure every one of us hopes that Lord Wenger stays for another 10 or 15 years, but Pep & the current Arsenal squad seem to go together like strawberries & cream.

Additionally, Arsenal don't chop & change every year or two, so it becomes a genuine long term "project". They have class, substance & history too, a real elite club, where as Man City, well, you know, don't want to be rude like, but they are not in the same League are they?

What a great fit Pep & Arsenal would make.    

Those days are long gone Tikay. All the top teams ''chop and change'' every few years these days. Also, there is no ''project'' at Arsenal, nor is there at City either (not anymore anyway), unless we are considering 'qualify for the Champions League, try and win the league/cup' a project. If he wants a proper project, he goes to United, or Villa. Now that's a project Wink

On a similar note, did you know our owners looked at Arsenal (and Newcastle and Everton) before deciding to plump for City? There was nothing to achieve with Arsenal, Newcastle's ground being in the city centre worked against them, not sure why they snubbed Everton (maybe something as trivial as John Lennon airport not being up to much compared to Ringway?), so we won the football lottery cos we were shite but had a brand spanking new stadium, loads of wasteland surrounding it that was ripe for purchase, and the perception of being a sleeping giant.

And the rest, as they say, is history.....or what we lack if you believe what you read Smiley

Ha.

Not sure I buy all that. For starters, City don't own their ground, do they?

And I do still think sustainable projects exist, & Arsenal is a great case in point.

10 years ago (?) they decided they wanted a new Stadium, better facilities & larger capacity, so instead of fifing & faffing with their existing stadium, as most do, they started afresh & abandoned their wonderful but outdated Highbury home.

At that point, & to my mind, they said to Arsene "look, this means money will be tough for a decade or more, so you'll have to be careful with the transfer spend, & at the same time, keep us in contention".

And he did exactly that. Now they have a glorious Stadium, which they own, & is well on the way to being paid for, have started to invest in players again, & asked the caretaker to find the keys to the Trophy Cabinet. Their big buys have been very successful, too, on the whole. (Man City Exhibit # 1 - Mangala).  

I'm convinced that was the grand plan all along.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:38:51 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #110686 on: December 24, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »

Do you not think that O'Leary would last 5 minutes managing a football club?

The players might not, but he would.

Yeah, Owners never sack Managers Wink

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #110687 on: December 24, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »

It's not the sort of market that interests me in betting on, but I'm intrigued by Pep & the "Next Manager" prices.

I'm sure every one of us hopes that Lord Wenger stays for another 10 or 15 years, but Pep & the current Arsenal squad seem to go together like strawberries & cream.

Additionally, Arsenal don't chop & change every year or two, so it becomes a genuine long term "project". They have class, substance & history too, a real elite club, where as Man City, well, you know, don't want to be rude like, but they are not in the same League are they?

Those days are long gone Tikay. All the top teams ''chop and change'' every few years these days. Also, there is no ''project'' at Arsenal, nor is there at City either (not anymore anyway), unless we are considering 'qualify for the Champions League, try and win the league/cup' a project. If he wants a proper project, he goes to United, or Villa. Now that's a project Wink

On a similar note, did you know our owners looked at Arsenal (and Newcastle and Everton) before deciding to plump for City? There was nothing to achieve with Arsenal, Newcastle's ground being in the city centre worked against them, not sure why they snubbed Everton (maybe something as trivial as John Lennon airport not being up to much compared to Ringway?), so we won the football lottery cos we were shite but had a brand spanking new stadium, loads of wasteland surrounding it that was ripe for purchase, and the perception of being a sleeping giant.

And the rest, as they say, is history.....or what we lack if you believe what you read Smiley

Ha.

And I do still think sustainable projects exist, & Arsenal is a great case in point.

10 years ago (?) they decided they wanted a new Stadium, better facilities & larger capacity, so instead of fifing & faffing with their existing stadium, as most do, they started afresh & abandoned their wonderful but outdated Highbury home.

At that point, & to my mind, they said to Arsene "look, this means money will be tough for a decade or more, so you'll have to be careful with the transfer spend, & at the same time, keep us in contention".

And he did exactly that. Now they have a glorious Stadium, which they own, & is well on the way to being paid for, have started to invest in players again, & asked the caretaker to find the keys to the Trophy Cabinet. Their big buys have been very successful, too, on the whole. (Man City Exhibit # 1 - Mangala).  

Arsene Wenger has a degree in engineering and a master's degree in economics.

I'd say that they both came in rather handy during his tenure.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110688 on: December 24, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

Wink

He was only a "Manager" when he started working for Tony Ryan at Ryanair, but he said to Tony, "listen, **ck off & leave this to me, if you interfere I'm outa here, got me?"

And he turned a loss making failure into arguably the world's most successful airline in around 2 decades.

Project & longevity.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #110689 on: December 24, 2015, 12:51:14 PM »

Ha.

Shame he doesn't have an NVQ in physiotherapy.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #110690 on: December 24, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »

Wink

He was only a "Manager" when he started working for Tony Ryan at Ryanair, but he said to Tony, "listen, **ck off & leave this to me, if you interfere I'm outa here, got me?"

And he turned a loss making failure into arguably the world's most successful airline in around 2 decades.

Project & longevity.   

He'd be alright, just tell the board to fuck off, and I'm sure everything would be dandy.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #110691 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »

Ha.

Or a doctorate in cryogenics.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #110692 on: December 24, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »

Ha.

Just needed you to say 'emptyhad' and you'd have had a line up on City bingo.

I'd argue our big buys have been very successful on the whole too. Very easy to chuck Mangala in the mix, who believe it or not still might come good Wink, but omit Silva, Aguero, Toure etc. Some we got at bargain prices (Kompany and Zabaleta combined cost was about equal to what Arsenal paid for Hleb), others were a disaster (RSC and Bridge springs to mind, cheers Hughes).

Remember Ozil was looking like a poor purchase at £44m until recently.

Arsenal have a solid business model, and it's hard not to admire what Wenger has achieved there in his tenure, but there is a reason why no-one does open top bus parades for balance sheets in May.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110693 on: December 24, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »

Ha.

Yup, should have got a proper Manager.

As a matter of interest, go to google images & there are hundreds of photos of this guy giving "car window" interviews, but I don't ever recall seeing Arsene feature in such a photo.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110694 on: December 24, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »

Ha.

Just needed you to say 'emptyhad' and you'd have had a line up on City bingo.

I'd argue our big buys have been very successful on the whole too. Very easy to chuck Mangala in the mix, who believe it or not still might come good Wink, but omit Silva, Aguero, Toure etc. Some we got at bargain prices (Kompany and Zabaleta combined cost was about equal to what Arsenal paid for Hleb), others were a disaster (RSC and Bridge springs to mind, cheers Hughes).

Remember Ozil was looking like a poor purchase at £44m until recently.

Arsenal have a solid business model, and it's hard not to admire what Wenger has achieved there in his tenure, but there is a reason why no-one does open top bus parades for balance sheets in May.

Very good, wp.

Exhibit B. No further questions. 

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #110695 on: December 24, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »

Ha.

Yup, should have got a proper Manager.

As a matter of interest, go to google images & there are hundreds of photos of this guy giving "car window" interviews, but I don't ever recall seeing Arsene feature in such a photo.

Managed to wheel his way into a nice gaff in Sandbanks Grin

GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #110696 on: December 24, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »

BetViktor have Peterborough v Chesterfield over 3.5 goals up at 29/20. Seems slightly out of line with many others in as short as 5/4. Rec £20 while it's there.

*Formerly freshprinceofbetair

I work in the pokers. This does not make me good at pokers.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #110697 on: December 24, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

BetViktor have Peterborough v Chesterfield over 3.5 goals up at 29/20. Seems slightly out of line with many others in as short as 5/4. Rec £20 while it's there.

No strong opinion one way or the other re: goals in this match, but worth bearing in mind that winds over 40mph are forecast, and that teams have started parking the bus against us lately.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
nuros

View Profile
« Reply #110698 on: December 25, 2015, 01:40:52 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone at blonde! I haven't posted much recently though have much enjoyed my first year here! I hope eveyrone has a great holiday and that this place thrives:)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110699 on: December 25, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »

Thanks nuros, and a Merry Christmas to all Freddies.

I was not sure we'd see another Xmas, & we've certainly wobbled a bit this year, but we have hung in, & are still getting the job done & taking a few bob off those horrible bookies.

Quick thank you to everyone who has helped in one way or another - MereNovice, of course, Mr Reliable, who keeps the spread ticking over so efficiently, Tighty, without whom Fred would be long dead & buried, & all the Elders & Regulars who provide the ammo to beat the bookies. Big thanks also to those who help Fred get on with various Firms with whom Fred is persona non grata.

Sadly, we have too many viewers & lurkers who give nothing & take everything. How about contributing occasionally, guys?  

Pages: 1 ... 7376 7377 7378 7379 [7380] 7381 7382 7383 7384 ... 9207 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: