blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 3605 3606 3607 3608 [3609] 3610 3611 3612 3613 ... 9208 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13455586 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54120 on: September 18, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »

Tell these bots to feck off, nosy b'stards.

Arsenal to win to nil tonight 4/1 on Billy Hills, under 3/1 across the board, one for Tal to peruse. Any ex-Spurs plays in the Marseille team (or commentating)

Does Chris Waddle still play for them?

Think that Santini bloke might be the manager

Ha! Yes...didn't really work out for him when he was at The Lane...

So do you think the 4/1 is a good bet or not?   

I've no problems in betting on arsenal if it's value. I'm no ice cream, me.

Wink

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #54121 on: September 18, 2013, 06:55:48 PM »

The Booker Prize

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/man-booker-prize/winner

Ladbrokes have not changed their price on the fav Jim Crace from 5/2 even though the list has been cut from 13 to 6 where as the others have. As well as this it seems that this will be Crace's last novel and there are whispers that he may get the award as a sort of Lifetime Achievement.

Anybody have any views on this?

Is he meaner than a junkyard dog?

I'm here all week... 

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54122 on: September 18, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »

Tell these bots to feck off, nosy b'stards.

Arsenal to win to nil tonight 4/1 on Billy Hills, under 3/1 across the board, one for Tal to peruse. Any ex-Spurs plays in the Marseille team (or commentating)

Much enthusiasm for this Mr Cake, so we are on.

£25 @ 4/1, Wm Hill, Arsenal to win to Nil tonight, v the CESM (Football Version).

ON

18 Sep 2013 - Marseille v Arsenal - Opta Match Stats

Tip It

Arsenal to win to nil @ 4/1

Stake : £25.00

Estimated Returns : £

Transaction Reference:

O/0457483/0000654/F

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54123 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »

Hi Omm.

I did this last year.

I know Fred likes an odd one every now and then.

The Man Booker Prize shortlist was announced earlier this month and the winner is named on 16 October. Here’s my best TightEnd impression:

Last year, there was a pretty divisive row between those who believed that the award had become a stuffy, self-congratulatory exercise in longest-wordism and those who believed books are supposed to be accessible and should be capable of being read, enjoyed and discussed by a higher percentage of the population. The chair of the judges last year was former MI5 head, Dame Stella Rimmington, who was very much in the latter camp. She spoke out against books that were too lofty and argued that (he paraphrases) page-turners didn’t have to be chick-lit.

This year could not be more different. The head judge is the editor of the Times Literary Supplement, Sir Peter Stothard and he has been clear from the outset that “readability” is a dirty word.

We are not looking for a book that you or I would be desperate to read. This is a Turner Prize year; a rebellion against mainstream society.

The unlikelies

Although there are six books in the shortlist, we can probably discount Deborah Levy’s ‘Swimming Home’ and Jeet Thayil’s ‘Nacropolis’. Neither stands out particularly against the competition and there isn’t a critic out there – at least that I can find – who is arguing that they should be the ones taking the prize, however wonderful the reads would undoubtedly be.

The possibles

Tan Twan Eng’s book ‘The Garden of Evening Mists’ is probably the slowest paced book ever to be deemed a triumph. Even supporters say so. The phrase ‘slowly crashing icebergs’ was used by one of the judges. The story is the meeting and relationship between a retired female Supreme Court Justice from Kuala Lumpur and an exiled Japanese gardener. She becomes his apprentice. It is a well-executed still-life painting: nice to look at, but staring at it for more than a few minutes is either boring or weird. 7-1 best price with Paddy Power.

Alison Moore’s ‘The Lighthouse’ is probably the easiest read of the shortlist. The plot is a bit hard to understand and it keeps going backwards but critics are calling it the page-turner. I suspect that this is the girl in a group of quite ugly women that, when faced with the prospect of the last waltz alone, you grit your teeth and go for.  She’s 6-1 with Stan James.

The big two

Will Self is such a divisive writer that marmite is referred to as a Will Self yeast-based product. Anyone who has picked up one of his novels (probably Great Apes being the best known) will have an idea why: he barely ever writes for his audience. He has no interest in dumbing down or explaining his narrative; his language is an arrogant and petulant assault on people who say “less” when they mean “fewer”. ‘Umbrella’ is, ironically, less full of Selfisms than some of his other books, but not by much. It is a single paragraph. The whole thing is one paragraph. 397 pages of block text, long words, confusing sentences, thesaurus-clutching and three parallel plots from different medical environments. This wouldn’t be a “two fingers” to last year’s panel. It would be a Temuri Ketsbia goal celebration. He is as big as 11/4 (Ladbrokes), but some bookies have him as favourite (Betfair 11/10).

The general favourite would be a headline maker. Hilary Mantel has won the prize before and ‘Bring up the Bodies’ is the second part of the trilogy that gave us Wolf Hall. The panel has commented that it is a more developed and technically proficient novel than the first, which is a clear indication that a short price is justified. She would be the first ever Briton to win the prize twice (two overseas novelists have won it twice) and, to be completely honest, I question whether that would be a bit of an injustice, given that she isn’t likely to be regarded as one of the all-time greats in years to come. She is 9/4 with Ladbrokes, best price.

My view

First things first, I assume that there is money to be made by betting with one bookie and laying with another – the difference between 11/10 and 11/4 is absurd. I appreciate the lay price isn’t the same as the bet price.

As for where I think the value is, I’m by no means a betting price expert. I would think Will Self the most likely winner – for the judges to combine a well-known person (this is a former captain on Shooting Stars, lest we forget!) with an intense, haunting, challenging read would seem a logical choice. If Hilary Mantel wins for the first two books of her trilogy, the panel for the third one is set a gargantuan dilemma. Self is a Guardian man, but I would doubt that matters.

Self quotes James Joyce at the outset of his novel and the comparison is an easy one. ‘Ulysses’ is the book most people lie about having read to the end.

Recommend [insert figure] on Will Self to win the Man Booker Prize 2012 with Ladbrokes at 11/4

We didn't do a win (seriously, who reads Mantel??! They're even doing plays about it now! As if we haven't heard enough about the bloody Tudors...not bitter or owt.. ) but we did get value.

My gut says sentimentality isn't high up on the list of priorities for thisyear, after the noise about last year's selection, but I happily bow to other people's knowledge.

I know this is the kind of market we can do well in, if we are smart, as - to quote an elder - it is our opinion against the bookie's.

Also, Tikay loves the arts almost as much as I love the Soccer Saturday panel and Camel loves Derren Brown.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54124 on: September 18, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

Dick starts for Celtic.

Cor blimey!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54125 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »

Dick starts for Celtic.

Cor blimey!

Has he scored yet? A man has dreams.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:12:50 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54126 on: September 18, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »

Dick starts for Celtic.

Cor blimey!

Has he scored yet?

Not yet. He was in a funny mood in his press conference.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54127 on: September 18, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »

I have done no research whatseover on this year's Booker and not read any of the books. Thought Fred and his bot-legion would be pleased, tbh.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54128 on: September 18, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »

I have done no research whatseover on this year's Booker and not read any of the books. Thought Fred and his bot-legion would be pleased, tbh.

Booker is listed under "Novelty", along with CBB & Tiddlearsing's £5 jobbies.

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #54129 on: September 18, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »

Hi Omm.

I did this last year.

I know Fred likes an odd one every now and then.

The Man Booker Prize shortlist was announced earlier this month and the winner is named on 16 October. Here’s my best TightEnd impression:

Last year, there was a pretty divisive row between those who believed that the award had become a stuffy, self-congratulatory exercise in longest-wordism and those who believed books are supposed to be accessible and should be capable of being read, enjoyed and discussed by a higher percentage of the population. The chair of the judges last year was former MI5 head, Dame Stella Rimmington, who was very much in the latter camp. She spoke out against books that were too lofty and argued that (he paraphrases) page-turners didn’t have to be chick-lit.

This year could not be more different. The head judge is the editor of the Times Literary Supplement, Sir Peter Stothard and he has been clear from the outset that “readability” is a dirty word.

We are not looking for a book that you or I would be desperate to read. This is a Turner Prize year; a rebellion against mainstream society.

The unlikelies

Although there are six books in the shortlist, we can probably discount Deborah Levy’s ‘Swimming Home’ and Jeet Thayil’s ‘Nacropolis’. Neither stands out particularly against the competition and there isn’t a critic out there – at least that I can find – who is arguing that they should be the ones taking the prize, however wonderful the reads would undoubtedly be.

The possibles

Tan Twan Eng’s book ‘The Garden of Evening Mists’ is probably the slowest paced book ever to be deemed a triumph. Even supporters say so. The phrase ‘slowly crashing icebergs’ was used by one of the judges. The story is the meeting and relationship between a retired female Supreme Court Justice from Kuala Lumpur and an exiled Japanese gardener. She becomes his apprentice. It is a well-executed still-life painting: nice to look at, but staring at it for more than a few minutes is either boring or weird. 7-1 best price with Paddy Power.

Alison Moore’s ‘The Lighthouse’ is probably the easiest read of the shortlist. The plot is a bit hard to understand and it keeps going backwards but critics are calling it the page-turner. I suspect that this is the girl in a group of quite ugly women that, when faced with the prospect of the last waltz alone, you grit your teeth and go for.  She’s 6-1 with Stan James.

The big two

Will Self is such a divisive writer that marmite is referred to as a Will Self yeast-based product. Anyone who has picked up one of his novels (probably Great Apes being the best known) will have an idea why: he barely ever writes for his audience. He has no interest in dumbing down or explaining his narrative; his language is an arrogant and petulant assault on people who say “less” when they mean “fewer”. ‘Umbrella’ is, ironically, less full of Selfisms than some of his other books, but not by much. It is a single paragraph. The whole thing is one paragraph. 397 pages of block text, long words, confusing sentences, thesaurus-clutching and three parallel plots from different medical environments. This wouldn’t be a “two fingers” to last year’s panel. It would be a Temuri Ketsbia goal celebration. He is as big as 11/4 (Ladbrokes), but some bookies have him as favourite (Betfair 11/10).

The general favourite would be a headline maker. Hilary Mantel has won the prize before and ‘Bring up the Bodies’ is the second part of the trilogy that gave us Wolf Hall. The panel has commented that it is a more developed and technically proficient novel than the first, which is a clear indication that a short price is justified. She would be the first ever Briton to win the prize twice (two overseas novelists have won it twice) and, to be completely honest, I question whether that would be a bit of an injustice, given that she isn’t likely to be regarded as one of the all-time greats in years to come. She is 9/4 with Ladbrokes, best price.

My view

First things first, I assume that there is money to be made by betting with one bookie and laying with another – the difference between 11/10 and 11/4 is absurd. I appreciate the lay price isn’t the same as the bet price.

As for where I think the value is, I’m by no means a betting price expert. I would think Will Self the most likely winner – for the judges to combine a well-known person (this is a former captain on Shooting Stars, lest we forget!) with an intense, haunting, challenging read would seem a logical choice. If Hilary Mantel wins for the first two books of her trilogy, the panel for the third one is set a gargantuan dilemma. Self is a Guardian man, but I would doubt that matters.

Self quotes James Joyce at the outset of his novel and the comparison is an easy one. ‘Ulysses’ is the book most people lie about having read to the end.

Recommend [insert figure] on Will Self to win the Man Booker Prize 2012 with Ladbrokes at 11/4

We didn't do a win (seriously, who reads Mantel??! They're even doing plays about it now! As if we haven't heard enough about the bloody Tudors...not bitter or owt.. ) but we did get value.

My gut says sentimentality isn't high up on the list of priorities for thisyear, after the noise about last year's selection, but I happily bow to other people's knowledge.

I know this is the kind of market we can do well in, if we are smart, as - to quote an elder - it is our opinion against the bookie's.

Also, Tikay loves the arts almost as much as I love the Soccer Saturday panel and Camel loves Derren Brown.

Wow Tal that is some write up for last year!! Can't match it, can't beat it but I do like the 5/2 and I'm a sucker for sentimentality, anyway onto the mercury music prize, Rudemental anyone?  
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54130 on: September 18, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »

Disclosure AINEC

henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #54131 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »

The Booker Prize

Ladbrokes have not changed their price on the fav Jim Crace from 5/2 even though the list has been cut from 13 to 6 where as the others have. As well as this it seems that this will be Crace's last novel and there are whispers that he may get the award as a sort of Lifetime Achievement.

Sorry your bet is cancelled, we fucked up again.

We value your custom.

Ladcrooks

Sandy
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54132 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »

One on the shortlist is Colm Toibin.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54133 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »

The Booker Prize

We value your custom.

Ladcrooks

Sandy

I did in fact try to have a sneaky off thread £20, but they Restricted me to £10. The price was 5/2.

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #54134 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »

The Booker Prize

We value your custom.

Ladcrooks

Sandy

I did in fact try to have a sneaky off thread £20, but they Restricted me to £10. The price was 5/2.

Tikay, maybe you could put the winnings towards the Greyhound you spoke about getting when Fred first started! Did u ever get it? Please tell me it's called Blonde Fred?
Pages: 1 ... 3605 3606 3607 3608 [3609] 3610 3611 3612 3613 ... 9208 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: