blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:29:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 5710 5711 5712 5713 [5714] 5715 5716 5717 5718 ... 9208 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13407613 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85695 on: August 23, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »

Extel comms were the nuts Dalek. All the fancied horses seemed to be given a positive mention at some point. "Turmeric making headway now."

Them were the days. It gave you a different kind of connections to horses compared to today. All you had was the name, the paper, the board markers and the commentary. It's different when you see them somehow.

Horses like Powder Blue, Yangtse Kiang, Kincses, The Welder, De Rigeur. Sigh, jumpers for goalposts.

It's almost my first gambling memory, that Extel commentary. So so good. Every horse got a mention, & it almost always ended "it's close". 

I can remember as it were yesterday, I was Dickinson-mad, horses like Gay Spartan running at gaffs like Sedgefield, Silver Buck, Bregawn, etc.

Dickinson was the first of the modern breed of trainers, sometimes they'd sent out 12 runners in a day, unheard of back then unless you were Ken Payne.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #85696 on: August 23, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

Really not a killjoy and know it's for charity but anyone want to make a book on some middle aged TV presenter keeling over with a heart attack from the ice bucket challenge?, sounds like your thing Paddy Power compilers if you're reading..

Nick Luck didn't do too badly, and they absolutely drenched him...

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85697 on: August 23, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »

Really not a killjoy and know it's for charity but anyone want to make a book on some middle aged TV presenter keeling over with a heart attack from the ice bucket challenge?, sounds like your thing Paddy Power compilers if you're reading..

Please let them ice-bucket Emma.

ooohhhhhh.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #85698 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »

Morning Davros

That made me chuckle. Before I had read on, I had stopped at Dalek, just questioning if that was what you meant or the spelling was correct.

A magic moment when it must have finally dawned on you....

Bout time Fred had a proper Saturday bet on the hoss's, none of this beat the betfair odds,free bet you rarely get, nonsense.

I am told that Merchant of Medici is rather strongly fancied in the 5.30 tonight and told to have my max ew on it. It's a girls race, but the form does look solid and decent lady jock on top. He is my auto bet insider.

It's destined for 4th now I have put it up, so how about 10 ew at .gl

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #85699 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »

There was that thing where the first horse mentioned in the photo almost always won, in fact a punter would consider it a bad beat if his horse was the first one mentioned in a photo and it lost.

"There's one fallen, can't quite make it out"...

Loved the Extel comms.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85700 on: August 23, 2014, 10:35:31 AM »

Morning Davros

That made me chuckle. Before I had read on, I had stopped at Dalek, just questioning if that was what you meant or the spelling was correct.

A magic moment when it must have finally dawned on you....

Bout time Fred had a proper Saturday bet on the hoss's, none of this beat the betfair odds,free bet you rarely get, nonsense.

I am told that Merchant of Medici is rather strongly fancied in the 5.30 tonight and told to have my max ew on it. It's a girls race, but the form does look solid and decent lady jock on top. He is my auto bet insider.

It's destined for 4th now I have put it up, so how about 10 ew at .gl

It was indeed. I had a lot of those magic moments.

If only we could see ourselves then as we do now. What a great invention the rear-view mirror was.

Will leave Tighty to load up on the horse, but we'll deffo be on board, thanks. And a girlie race, of all things.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:41:00 AM by tikay » Logged

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #85701 on: August 23, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »

I took a Wm Hill Settling Course up in Oxford Street, cost me £90, took the exam & got 97% or somesuch, so they offered me a job as a Shop Manager, but my Dad would not let me, he wanted me to have a "proper job".

This was in the days before "Genies", which changed life for bookies, so all bets had to be worked out by mental arithmetic. We had little short cuts, 11/8 = quarter + a half, 13/8 = half + a quarter, or whatever

When my dad worked in a shop in the late 70s, he would routinely get some of the regulars stumbling in from some nefarious pursuit or other, empty their pockets on the counter and request the lot on the next race. They'd listen to the radio and, if the customer's horse got there, he'd begin the paying out process...

"So, that was 11/8 and you've had 2 pounds 2 shillings and 4 and a half pence on it...'

Proper fractions back then, too. 100/7 if you please. Suppose the exchanges have brought that back.

Crikey, I'd forgotten those. 100/7, wonderful. Think there was 100/8 too, punters wanted 100/8 when it was shown as 12/1 I think, same with 100/7, it was a bit better than 14/1? You could barter in a bookies shop then, of course. Try that these days.

Pre-decimilisation, follks had EW Patents with Rule 4's, dead heats, all sorts, for half a crown each way. Try working those out in your head, but that was what we did with every bet, all mental arithmetic. 10 years earlier I could neither read nor write, never mind add-up. Mental arithmetic was like a new toy to me, I loved it to bits.

Stop it now, the serious faces will be getting chuntery if we carry on.

You can still get the fractions at the races with some books Tony (even about 6/1 and 8/1 which are the best).

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85702 on: August 23, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »

York? no

goodwood? no

newmarket maybe? no

try redcar?

ahhh redcar

17:30 Redc 23rd Aug BOG

7/1
£10 e/w 1/4 1,2,3
    £107.60
    Merchant Of Medici
    Win
    EW

Bet Ref: O/0140260/0000092

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #85703 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »

Was thinking Jungle Cat 3.15 York was worth backing e/w at 8-1 with one of the firms offering qtr 3 places. Drawn well and don't think can rule out for win purposes, 10 runners including a 125-1 shot, more a maths type bet than a strong fancy.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85704 on: August 23, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »

Was thinking Jungle Cat 3.15 York was worth backing e/w at 8-1 with one of the firms offering qtr 3 places. Drawn well and don't think can rule out for win purposes, 10 runners including a 125-1 shot, more a maths type bet than a strong fancy.

what sort of size?

pretty hot race isn't it?

7 of the 10 with proper chances?

My eyes are open wide
peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #85705 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »

Dickinson was the first of the modern breed of trainers, sometimes they'd sent out 12 runners in a day, unheard of back then unless you were Ken Payne.

Ken Payne had twelve in the same race Tikay. The game was guessing which was trying.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #85706 on: August 23, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »

There is a good Ken Payne autobiography i heard

Smiley Smiley
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #85707 on: August 23, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »

what sort of size?

I guess I thought it was quite marginal - maybe not the best candidate for Fred, my bet size fwiw was 1% of roll. Really rather leave it if you think the race isn't ideal.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85708 on: August 23, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »

what sort of size?

I guess I thought it was quite marginal - maybe not the best candidate for Fred, my bet size fwiw was 1% of roll. Really rather leave it if you think the race isn't ideal.

i don't know Simon, just thinking out loud..just a generalist when it comes to racing

1% of roll is around £60 and it doesn't feel that strong (in monetary terms)

we'll have a small tickle

please post more tips anyway!

Bet Type: Single
       York [15:15] 6f Group 2 Stakes
       Jungle Cat 8/1
       Each Way: 1/4 1 - 3
      2 bets @  15.00 GBP

Total Cost: 30.00 GBP

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85709 on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »

what sort of size?

i don't know Simon, just thinking out loud..just a generalist when it comes to racing

1% of roll is around £60 and it doesn't feel that strong (in monetary terms)

we'll have a small tickle

please post more tips anyway!

Bet Type: Single
       York [15:15] 6f Group 2 Stakes
       Jungle Cat 8/1
       Each Way: 1/4 1 - 3
      2 bets @  15.00 GBP

Total Cost: 30.00 GBP

1% of roll = £60, so we have a £6,000 roll these days?

Good grief. My Dad would kill me if he knew.

Pages: 1 ... 5710 5711 5712 5713 [5714] 5715 5716 5717 5718 ... 9208 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: