blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 7856 7857 7858 7859 [7860] 7861 7862 7863 7864 ... 9207 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13329659 times)
Peter-27

View Profile
« Reply #117885 on: May 29, 2016, 06:55:04 AM »

How many races does Palmer have left, Peter?

Palmer has a contract until the end of the season .. and I've not heard anyone suggest he's under any particular pressure. Not sure I understand the question fully?

Magnussen has perhaps had the slight edge so far; but given that this is Palmer's first season, he has done a solid enough job up to this point.

Fair enough. It was nothing more than my own view of how he's started.

He's not had a good start in the big league, the team gave Magnussen the upgraded engine while he had the old one this weekend and presumably (given they don't have two upgraded engines) the team needs money. He has got out of Q1 once so far.

Hope it works out, though.

If you look at Palmer's career, he is a driver that takes a long time to get used to a new car (for example, it took him four years to be competitive in GP2). That's fine, drivers do learn at different rates, but is it good enough for F1? Personally, I would suggest not. However, Renault will have known that before they signed Jolyon, so you have to really assume they're willing to be patient with him.

The fact that big manufacturer Renault have taken over "the Enstone team" means that they should no longer be in financial trouble. It is worth noting that they are essentially running a car that Lotus designed with no money though. I believe that Renault are holding off the investment until they have full control over the development of the car, in other words, 2017.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #117886 on: May 29, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »

Fwiw I think they were talking about the possibility of Palmer losing his position on the f1 preview on 5 live this week.  The view was it was ludicrous, but guess there must have been rumours to start the discussion. 

I heard the discussion somewhere so pretty sure it must have been 5 live but possible it could have been elsewhere

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #117887 on: May 29, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »

Met office weather forecast is 70% chance of rain at start time.  Accuweather has 100%, though that seems a bit too high.  Severe thunderstorms are a possibility. I guess it might get delayed if the rain is too bad, so we just need a good shower rather than a severe thunderstorm.  

Maybe a severe thunderstorm during the race may not be so bad, though preferably not one that causes the race to stop early.  

Edit.  I have just backed the bottom 5 all for a points position at the best price i can get.  It seems possible a race round monaco in the wet will be very attritional.  The only drawback is you'd want someone experienced, but guess you can't have everything at 16/1 up.  Not sure thread has appetite for more bets, as between me and Peter we have probably backed every  other driver.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:03:39 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117888 on: May 29, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »

Fwiw I think they were talking about the possibility of Palmer losing his position on the f1 preview on 5 live this week.  The view was it was ludicrous, but guess there must have been rumours to start the discussion.  

I heard the discussion somewhere so pretty sure it must have been 5 live but possible it could have been elsewhere

A similar discussion was aired on one of the Sky Sports FI broadcasts.

I rather hope he retains his seat. I've been watching F1 since it began, & father/son combos helps trigger happy memories of earlier times.

There are quite a few father/son Combos, I can think of these off the top off my head...

Graham & Damon Hill

Keke & Nico Rosberg

Jos & Max Verstapppen

Sir Jack & David Brabham

Nelson & Nelson Piquet

Gilles & Jacques Villineuve

Mario & Michael Andretti

Wilson & Christian Fittipaldi

So that's 8 father/son Combos.

A spot of googling tells us there have been 11 in total.

Without googling, can anyone name the other 3?

Incidentally, of the 8 I listed, far & away my fondest memories would be of Keke.

He's a little more rotund these days.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117889 on: May 29, 2016, 10:07:06 AM »

Mario & Marco(?) Andretti.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

swinebag22

View Profile
« Reply #117890 on: May 29, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »

Looks like auto correct changed Emerson to Wilson fittipaldi

Think the younger Andretti was Michael

Big clue in your post too teeks.

Jonathan and Jolyon Palmer

Off to think of another
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #117891 on: May 29, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »

Lewis didn't sound at all confident of completing on SSN last night. Don't like betting on this non-sport but will have a bit on.

Can get 6-4 Vettel podiuming on the machine.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117892 on: May 29, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »

Mario & Marco(?) Andretti.

Seem to recall there were a lot of Andretti's.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117893 on: May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

Off to think of another

Oh yes, Emerson.

Jonathan Palmer - the dad - was not exactly pre-eminent in F1, but a very successful businessman I believe, & owns, amongst other stuff, Bedford Autodrome.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117894 on: May 29, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

Lewis didn't sound at all confident of completing on SSN last night. Don't like betting on this non-sport but will have a bit on.

Can get 6-4 Vettel podiuming on the machine.

Come on chompy, let's not let our standards drop, podiuming indeed.

The correct terminology is podiumating.

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117895 on: May 29, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »

Off to think of another

Oh yes, Emerson.

Jonathan Palmer - the dad - was not exactly pre-eminent in F1, but a very successful businessman I believe, & owns, amongst other stuff, Bedford Autodrome.

He's quite a powerful figure in British motorsport, his company owns Brands Hatch & other circuits.

Peter-27

View Profile
« Reply #117896 on: May 29, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »

Fwiw I think they were talking about the possibility of Palmer losing his position on the f1 preview on 5 live this week.  The view was it was ludicrous, but guess there must have been rumours to start the discussion.  

I listened to that, but I think it was more of a discussion than an actual realistic scenario. They did the same on Sky Sports F1 coverage. Renault aren't stupid and I seriously doubt Palmer will be out before the end of the season. Media ..  idiot

Met office weather forecast is 70% chance of rain at start time.  Accuweather has 100%, though that seems a bit too high.  Severe thunderstorms are a possibility. I guess it might get delayed if the rain is too bad, so we just need a good shower rather than a severe thunderstorm.  

Maybe a severe thunderstorm during the race may not be so bad, though preferably not one that causes the race to stop early.  

Edit.  I have just backed the bottom 5 all for a points position at the best price i can get.  It seems possible a race round monaco in the wet will be very attritional.  The only drawback is you'd want someone experienced, but guess you can't have everything at 16/1 up.  Not sure thread has appetite for more bets, as between me and Peter we have probably backed every  other driver.

According to UBIMET (the FIA whether system), the chance of precipitation during the race is currently 52%, but that's changing wildly minute-by-minute. I think we're almost guaranteed to have water on the track at the start, probably a SC start too.

I wouldn't recommend any more bets, we have enough to (hopefully) make a decent profit.

A similar discussion was aired on one of the Sky Sports FI broadcasts.

I rather hope he retains his seat. I've been watching F1 since it began, & father/son combos helps trigger happy memories of earlier times.

There are quite a few father/son Combos, I can think of these off the top off my head...

Graham & Damon Hill

Keke & Nico Rosberg

Jos & Max Verstapppen

Sir Jack & David Brabham

Nelson & Nelson Piquet

Gilles & Jacques Villineuve

Mario & Michael Andretti

Wilson & Christian Fittipaldi

So that's 8 father/son Combos.

A spot of googling tells us there have been 11 in total.

Without googling, can anyone name the other 3?

Incidentally, of the 8 I listed, far & away my fondest memories would be of Keke.

He's a little more rotund these days.

Oooh, nice little game, loving the F1 chatter Cheesy

It depends if you mean in the Grand Prix era, or the F1 era .. but I can think of four that have not been mentioned off the top of my head:

Alberto/Antonio Ascari
Kazuki/Satoru Nakajima
Hans/Hans-Joachim Stuck
Manfred/Markus Winkelhock

Off to think of another

Oh yes, Emerson.

Jonathan also essentially owns MSV too, which owns a number of circuits in the UK and is a big player in getting young British drivers up the motorsport ladder.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117897 on: May 29, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »

Off to think of another

Oh yes, Emerson.

He's quite a powerful figure in British motorsport, his company owns Brands Hatch & other circuits.

I never knew that.

To me, Brands Hatch was the best motor racing circuit I've ever been to, bar none, though I refer to the GP circuit, not the rather bland Club Circuit.

They used to host the F1 GP there, until motor racing politics got it moved to the dreadful Silverstone. 

I rarely saw motor racing at Brands though - almost always motorbikes. It was perfect for 'bikes. I never missed a Meet, & riders like Mike Hailwood, Phil Read, Derek Minter ("King of Brands") & John Cooper always featured.  In sidecar racing, Bill & Mick Boddice, Owen Greenwood with his 3 wheeler thing, & Chris Vincent were the stars.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117898 on: May 29, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »

This photo is of Derek Minter & Dave Downer at Brands, Minter on a 500cc Norton, Downer on a 650cc Dunstall Domiracer, & was the most memorable race I ever saw.

A few laps after the photo was taken, (Downer #2, Minter #11) the two of them had a huge accident up at Dingle Dell when an oil leak got onto Downer's rear tyre, he came down, & Minter piled into him. Downer was killed there & then, Minter was seriously injured, & was never the same force again.

He was the first rider I ever saw wearing coloured leathers - previously all leathers were black.

He died quite recently, aged 82.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:39:43 AM by tikay » Logged

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117899 on: May 29, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »

Off to think of another

Oh yes, Emerson.

I never knew that.

To me, Brands Hatch was the best motor racing circuit I've ever been to, bar none, though I refer to the GP circuit, not the rather bland Club Circuit.

They used to host the F1 GP there, until motor racing politics got it moved to the dreadful Silverstone. 

I rarely saw motor racing at Brands though - almost always motorbikes. It was perfect for 'bikes. I never missed a Meet, & riders like Mike Hailwood, Phil Read, Derek Minter ("King of Brands") & John Cooper always featured.  In sidecar racing, Bill & Mick Boddice, Owen Greenwood with his 3 wheeler thing, & Chris Vincent were the stars.

Agree Tikay, although the Club circuit is great for spectators & drivers & used to see some spectacular racing. I was a regular there for the Formula Ford Festivals in the 80s & 90s. Pretty sure I saw the start of this young fellas career at Brands

Click to see full-size image.

Pages: 1 ... 7856 7857 7858 7859 [7860] 7861 7862 7863 7864 ... 9207 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: