blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Independence Referendum
Poll
Question: Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?
Yes - because it would be better for the Scots
Yes - because the rest of the UK would be better off without the Scots
Don't really know
Don't care
No, the Union is a good thing

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 114 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independence Referendum  (Read 191284 times)
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »

Stick with it!

Somerled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

I boycotted a pack of Scottish strawberries today in favour of a pack from Yorkshire  dad dont dance

Was actually going to ask that very question as I have no idea.

This is only for the non-Scots by the way.

If we do have a yes vote, would you be affected in your buying choices? if, for example, there were 3 items of comparable price and quality, 1 Scottish, 1 English, 1 from Spain would you be more or less likely to buy the Scottish one, or would it make no difference at all?

Haven't seen any information on this at all, and it's way more important than trading with EU for example.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 10, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »

I boycotted a pack of Scottish strawberries today in favour of a pack from Yorkshire  dad dont dance

If we do have a yes vote, would you be affected in your buying choices? if, for example, there were 3 items of comparable price and quality, 1 Scottish, 1 English, 1 from Spain would you be more or less likely to buy the Scottish one, or would it make no difference at all?

Haven't seen any information on this at all, and it's way more important than trading with EU for example.

I will always buy an English brand over any foreign brand where possible if it's as good.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 10, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »

More Ed Miliband speech "I grew up in the 1980s against the backdrop of the Miners’ strike and Mrs Thatcher" - (in a Primrose Hill mansion.)

At this rate Salmond will be paying them to stay longer

Can someone who wasn't personally affected by a situation not stand up for the people who suffered?

If they were genuine yes. 

I am sure Ed had a real tough upbringing

cough
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 10, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »

I certainly don't think a "yes" vote would cause me to stop buying Scottish stuff just because they want to be their own country (all other things being equal).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: September 10, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »

More Ed Miliband speech "I grew up in the 1980s against the backdrop of the Miners’ strike and Mrs Thatcher" - (in a Primrose Hill mansion.)

At this rate Salmond will be paying them to stay longer

Can someone who wasn't personally affected by a situation not stand up for the people who suffered?

If they were genuine yes. 

I am sure Ed had a real tough upbringing

cough

Why does that matter?  Tony Benn hardly had a tough upbringing, but he could speak for the working class?  Better to criticise people for what they do, rather than the situation they were born into - surely?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #861 on: September 10, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »

Beer from Loch Ness, obviously.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »

i would be indifferent personally.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:52 PM »

i do think the no campaign has been horrendous

guidofawkes (from a right wing perspective so NOT a neutral view of course) has just put out this, the blame game etc etc.

http://order-order.com/2014/09/10/labour-in-scotland-dont-believe-the-hype/

real miscalculations to my eyes on devo-max this late in the game, sending retired politicians up etc etc

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »

i do think the no campaign has been horrendous

guidofawkes (from a right wing perspective so NOT a neutral view of course) has just put out this, the blame game etc etc.

http://order-order.com/2014/09/10/labour-in-scotland-dont-believe-the-hype/

real miscalculations to my eyes on devo-max this late in the game, sending retired politicians up etc etc

They thought it was a no contest early on tbf and gifted the Yes boys all the momentum.  Would have been much easier to get it locked up early on rather than what looks like a mad panic now.  Very badly planned campaign though.
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 10, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »

Are we chipping in for their moving van too?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29142436
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 10, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »

Wow! I leave it for a few days and merry hell breaks loose.

Referring to people as Quislings is beyond contempt, and exactly the kind of rubbish that makes me sick to the back teeth of the whole campaign.

Quick point I was making to someone on Twitter today re Exports. Business for Scotland (a pathetic laughable organisation) put up a letter signed by 40 "internationally renowned" business leaders - some of whom owned pubs, some were chefs, at least 90% of them have never exported anything. Anyway, the crux of their statement was that Scottish food & drink exports will flourish in an iScotland. Because......welll, just because they will.

The true position is that Scottish F&D exports ARE flourishing. Now. Right now. And WILL continue to do so for the forseeable future. Unless we tear apart the system which is working so well.

The chap on twitter pointed out to me how Scottish exports subsidise Westminster. Which given that there's no VAT or Duty paid on exports is somewhat hard to fathom. What exports do is create jobs in Scotland, and every product sold abroad is an advert for Scottish tourism. Why on earth would anyone want to lose that? Would we lose all these exports? Of course not. Would creating a new system be awkward and expensive? Of course. Is it needed or even desirable? No.

Not just my views, the views of every other Scottish company I've dealt with over the last year or so. Most of whom are too scared to officially declare themselves "No" for the reasons perfectly illustrated on here by KMac. There also still many folk who still believe that their vote is a private thing and don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. Most of them will be happily voting No.

Around here (the highlands) many many No signs and banners have been torn down. No doubt some Yes ones have too but the vast majority of that type of behaviour is confined to the Yes camp. Is that down to pure passion? Maybe. But it's sorely misplaced.

This is one of the best pieces I've read on the whole campaign, particularly when it explains the SNP "positivity" campaign. Largely PR Spin and media manipulation - the very stuff most Yessers profess to despise. Sigh.

http://www.scottishreview.net/CarolCraig172.shtml

I'll pop back in another few days and see what's happened....

So glad you posted that link.

I too have read extensively on the whole campaign and think this  is absolutely excellent.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 10, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2750701/Double-blow-Salmond-Scottish-finance-giant-Standard-Life-reveals-plan-England-separation-fears-oil-giant-rubbishes-SNP-s-North-Sea-oil-claims.html

More quotes, via the DM sorry, from Scottish business leaders.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 10, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »

Wow! I leave it for a few days and merry hell breaks loose.

Referring to people as Quislings is beyond contempt, and exactly the kind of rubbish that makes me sick to the back teeth of the whole campaign.

Quick point I was making to someone on Twitter today re Exports. Business for Scotland (a pathetic laughable organisation) put up a letter signed by 40 "internationally renowned" business leaders - some of whom owned pubs, some were chefs, at least 90% of them have never exported anything. Anyway, the crux of their statement was that Scottish food & drink exports will flourish in an iScotland. Because......welll, just because they will.

The true position is that Scottish F&D exports ARE flourishing. Now. Right now. And WILL continue to do so for the forseeable future. Unless we tear apart the system which is working so well.

The chap on twitter pointed out to me how Scottish exports subsidise Westminster. Which given that there's no VAT or Duty paid on exports is somewhat hard to fathom. What exports do is create jobs in Scotland, and every product sold abroad is an advert for Scottish tourism. Why on earth would anyone want to lose that? Would we lose all these exports? Of course not. Would creating a new system be awkward and expensive? Of course. Is it needed or even desirable? No.

Not just my views, the views of every other Scottish company I've dealt with over the last year or so. Most of whom are too scared to officially declare themselves "No" for the reasons perfectly illustrated on here by KMac. There also still many folk who still believe that their vote is a private thing and don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. Most of them will be happily voting No.

Around here (the highlands) many many No signs and banners have been torn down. No doubt some Yes ones have too but the vast majority of that type of behaviour is confined to the Yes camp. Is that down to pure passion? Maybe. But it's sorely misplaced.

This is one of the best pieces I've read on the whole campaign, particularly when it explains the SNP "positivity" campaign. Largely PR Spin and media manipulation - the very stuff most Yessers profess to despise. Sigh.

http://www.scottishreview.net/CarolCraig172.shtml

I'll pop back in another few days and see what's happened....

So glad you posted that link.

I too have read extensively on the whole campaign and think this  is absolutely excellent.

Yes excellent .
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 10, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »

arbbhoy quoting DM isn't hard to find something to back up the NO campaign, DM are flying the flag for the NO campaigners you might as well link to a better together article on there own website it will be more impartial

ok I know the yes camp on here are linking to wingsoverscotland stuff etc but not of these articles on either side are impartial and should be read with a pinch of salt

I do believe the bbc is impartial despite the yes campaign thinking the opposite

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 114 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: