blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 600565 times)
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: December 10, 2018, 12:06:44 AM »

Well we made hard work of that, and it looked like our third game in six days and fourth in ten following the NLD and untied away as we generally huffed and puffed as they systematically fouled us; the rookie referee didn't help either chalking off a perfectly good goal from Lacazette and generally looking out of his depth, certainly in the first half.

The old familiar 1-0 to The Arsenal and another three points in the bag will do thanks to Lucas Torreira.

On the minus side we now have both Sokkertits and Mustafi suspended for Southampton away next weekend having received their fifth yellow cards.

As well as "1-0 to the Arsenal" maybe  "same old Arsenal always cheating " is more appropriate.

Last week you wanted a multi-game ban for Klopp celebrating a goal yet no mention now of Arsenal receiving 3 yellow cards for diving. A record. And Torreira should have had one as well by all accounts.

Points deduction for cheating?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: December 10, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: December 10, 2018, 02:09:20 AM »

Well we made hard work of that, and it looked like our third game in six days and fourth in ten following the NLD and untied away as we generally huffed and puffed as they systematically fouled us; the rookie referee didn't help either chalking off a perfectly good goal from Lacazette and generally looking out of his depth, certainly in the first half.

The old familiar 1-0 to The Arsenal and another three points in the bag will do thanks to Lucas Torreira.

On the minus side we now have both Sokkertits and Mustafi suspended for Southampton away next weekend having received their fifth yellow cards.

As well as "1-0 to the Arsenal" maybe  "same old Arsenal always cheating " is more appropriate.

Last week you wanted a multi-game ban for Klopp celebrating a goal yet no mention now of Arsenal receiving 3 yellow cards for diving. A record. And Torreira should have had one as well by all accounts.

I'll respond to this in the morning if you really need to know more about the worst refereeing performance in living memory.

But in the meantime I'd be grateful if you could give me your honest opinion on my post a few pages back which included the goalkeeper stats after 13 games.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: December 10, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »

Wasn’t the ref Paul Tierney?  If so he’s been doing premier league for 4 years and is one of the best in my view.

Just done some research and he's ref'ed 42 PL matches - so not as much of a rookie as I thought - I think someone said it was his first match at Emirates' stadium which led to me thinking that - well that and the way he conducted himself.

He almost lost control of the match in the first half letting Huddersfield get away with half-a-dozen cynical fouls before wrongly booking Xakha for diving when he was clearly caught from behind - this was in midfield after he had gone past their guy - that was the first card of the game and led to him dishing out 5/6 yellow cards in less than ten minutes.

It was the worst display of refereeing that I have seen in a long long time.

The reason I like Tierney as a Watford fan is because he is one of the few who doesn’t feel pressure to cave into the Big 6.  As illustrated by having the balls to call out Arsenal’s cheating with 3 yellows for diving.  And this in Arsenal v Huddersfield at the Emirates!!!   The other refs could all learn from Tierney’s courage.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: December 10, 2018, 07:37:42 AM »

Diving and cheating in football is the accepted norm. It happens across the whole of the EPL.

The authorities do nothing to stop it. If the penalty was a red card and automatic 3 match ban it might start to have some impact.

What makes it worse is pundits excusing it with comments like “if he felt contact he has every right to go down” and the like.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: December 10, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »

Diving and cheating in football is the accepted norm. It happens across the whole of the EPL.

The authorities do nothing to stop it. If the penalty was a red card and automatic 3 match ban it might start to have some impact.

What makes it worse is pundits excusing it with comments like “if he felt contact he has every right to go down” and the like.

One of the bookings was a bit marginal based on the typical pundit view in that the player was touched. Definitely not enough to knock over a baby though so I thought it was quite refreshing to see a ref prepared to ref in the way most fans would appreciate. Think he got the offside wrong on the disallowed goal but not a complete howler. Overall thought he was pretty no nonsense non showy and quite liked his style

sola virtus nobilitat
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: December 10, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »

I'll respond to this in the morning if you really need to know more about the worst refereeing performance in living memory.

But in the meantime I'd be grateful if you could give me your honest opinion on my post a few pages back which included the goalkeeper stats after 13 games.

Here is the latest table:

Click to see full-size image.

Sample size for cech is v small with just 6 or 7 games.
Like to see the full methodology and the data behind it and how he has applied a weighting to each of the disciplines.

Crossing - the weighting sucks, cech scores about the same for crosses in isolation than Lloris does for all 3 disciplines ( I accept cech is great in the air)

Distribution -  using a ruler to measure his score  Grin Grin  Cech is 2nd or 3rd ranked for distribution in those games which doesn't add-up if you look at opta data where he is ranked last for short pass p90 and bottom quartile for long pass (so what other data is the creator looking at?)

Saves - no problem, well above average for these few games where he has faced far more shots p90 than in previous seasons - similar ranking to, say, Hart. The twitter account has a  pinned tweet showing a table for last season where cech below average using the same criteria.

Cheats:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:53:53 AM by Archer » Logged
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: December 10, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »

Ralph will never admit he is wrong(I cite A Wenger, m'lud) and will call upon any spurious blog, data or whatever to try and prove a theory we all know is flawed, and seen with our own eyes.

But it keeps him active in his dotage  so good on him.x

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: December 10, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »

Ralph will never admit he is wrong(I cite A Wenger, m'lud) and will call upon any spurious blog, data or whatever to try and prove a theory we all know is flawed, and seen with our own eyes.

I think you are referring to yourself as far as never admitting to be wrong Adz.

Re. Wenger: You seem to have conveniently forgotten that I was actually in favour a change of manager just not prepared stoop so low as to join in hounding him out with the WOB's. I had stated on here at the time that it probably would have been best if AW had resigned after the last FA Cup win instead of signing the two-year extension to his contract.

I did not go looking for that goalkeeper data, it just appeared on my Twitter timeline.

As for the yellow cards for diving; I was shocked to see on replay today that Xakha did indeed dive in the middle of the park and can only really put that down to stupidity as it didn't really look as though he was anticipating a foul. Mustafi was definitely fouled but made a bit of a meal of it - I don't think he deserved a booking. Guendouzi definitely dived(in his defence he is only 19) and I can only assume that he needs to study tapes of Sterling and brush up on his tekkers.

We have been a lot more cynical and streetwise in our defensive fouling this season following the addition of Sokkertits and Licky-sticky, which is something I like as we've been ridiculously easy to hit on the break in recent years. The diving is not something I'm a fan of.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: December 10, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »

Amazing.

Time has clearly distorted your long term memory

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: December 10, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »

Amazing.

Would you fancy a friendly £500 wager that I can produce a quote from this thread to verify that?

Perhaps it is you with the memory problem if you are not prepared to bet on it?

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: December 10, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

Amazing.

Would you fancy a friendly £500 wager that I can produce a quote from this thread to verify that?

Oh I am sure you will lay your hands on something.

Regardless of what you find, I'm pretty sure everyone here including Tikay will swear you were a Wenger In man though...........

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: December 10, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »

Amazing.

Oh I am sure you will lay your hands on something.

Regardless of what you find, I'm pretty sure everyone here including Tikay will swear you were a Wenger In man though...........

I knew you'd find a way of squirming out of either betting or admitting you were wrong.

It takes a big man to admit he made a mistake and only you call yourself that.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »

In Dick we trust
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: December 10, 2018, 11:18:23 PM »

I think you are referring to yourself as far as never admitting to be wrong Adz.

Re. Wenger: You seem to have conveniently forgotten that I was actually in favour a change of manager just not prepared stoop so low as to join in hounding him out with the WOB's. I had stated on here at the time that it probably would have been best if AW had resigned after the last FA Cup win instead of signing the two-year extension to his contract.

I did not go looking for that goalkeeper data, it just appeared on my Twitter timeline.

As for the yellow cards for diving; I was shocked to see on replay today that Xakha did indeed dive in the middle of the park and can only really put that down to stupidity as it didn't really look as though he was anticipating a foul. Mustafi was definitely fouled but made a bit of a meal of it - I don't think he deserved a booking. Guendouzi definitely dived(in his defence he is only 19) and I can only assume that he needs to study tapes of Sterling and brush up on his tekkers.

We have been a lot more cynical and streetwise in our defensive fouling this season following the addition of Sokkertits and Licky-sticky, which is something I like as we've been ridiculously easy to hit on the break in recent years. The diving is not something I'm a fan of.

out of  then.   Not bad.

By mentioning Sterling (or Mr Sterling as he was referred to today in the Daily Fail) you've reminded me how Wenger singled him out by name at the Etihad last year for being a good diver. Still amazed Wenger didn't get charged for that Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: