blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 248 [249] 250 251 252 253 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 604381 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: December 27, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »

Bertie Mee would have been 100 today

He was a little before my time,though as a teenager i became aware of the name in the early 80s as he was often mentioned in terrace songs, but prompted by a recent BBC Archive clip i saw i went looking

He was from Bulwell, a physio and in 1966 with only 20 or so football league appearances and no managerial experience was appointed Arsenal manager, a job he held for 10 years including a European trophy in 70, the double in 71 and going close in 72 runners up in the league and FA Cup

Very unconventional career path, though i have heard it said that his assistants Sexton and Howe did a lot of the on field coaching while he did man management.  

Listening to this clip i didn't realise after he left he went on to be chief scout for Graham Taylor at Watford and brought them Barnes and Blissett.

The joys of wikipedia send you down lots of rabbit holes once you start looking at people like this

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: December 27, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »

He was a little before my time,though as a teenager i became aware of the name in the early 80s as he was often mentioned in terrace songs, but prompted by a recent BBC Archive clip i saw i went looking

He was from Bulwell, a physio and in 1966 with only 20 or so football league appearances and no managerial experience was appointed Arsenal manager, a job he held for 10 years including a European trophy in 70, the double in 71 and going close in 72 runners up in the league and FA Cup

Very unconventional career path, though i have heard it said that his assistants Sexton and Howe did a lot of the on field coaching while he did man management.  

Listening to this clip i didn't realise after he left he went on to be chief scout for Graham Taylor at Watford and brought them Barnes and Blissett.

The joys of wikipedia send you down lots of rabbit holes once you start looking at people like this

Wiki is the nuts.

I used to love Bertie.

This photo was taken in 1966, & I recognize Terry Neill, John Radford, McLintock, Bob Wilson & Don Howe, but no idea who the other fella is. Ralph will know.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: December 27, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »

Wiki is the nuts.

I used to love Bertie.

This photo was taken in 1966, & I recognize Terry Neill, John Radford, McLintock, Bob Wilson & Don Howe, but no idea who the other fella is. Ralph will know.

Eddie Kelly
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 05:43:22 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: December 27, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »

Arsenal seem to have taken a step back since Ozil returned?

Discuss......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: December 27, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »

I miss the Mertesacker/Koscielny partnership at the centre of Arsenal's defence - their stats are absolutely astounding for completed games.

Played 27, won 19, drawn 8, lost 0

Goals Conceded per game 0.5

Clean Sheets 16

Frank McLintock wasnae too shabby either alongside Peter(ugh ugh)Simpson.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: December 27, 2018, 08:31:28 PM »

Discuss......

Are we calling a 45 minute cameo after five games out a return?

He's looking more and more like a very expensive misfit who does not suit Emery's style of play.

What solution would you propose to our £300K+pw for several years Ozil dilemma?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »

Discuss......

He's looking more and more like a very expensive misfit who does not suit Emery's style of play.

We'll prob give you ~£75m in the summer, if someone pretends they're interested in signing him Smiley

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: December 27, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »

Discuss......

We'll prob give you ~£75m in the summer, if someone pretends they're interested in signing him Smiley

I think maureen was a big fan who might well have been interested.

In all seriousness I think the lead balloon of Ozil's wages might well have played a big part in Ramsey's contract-offer being withdrawn as they both play in that free #10 role allbeit in very different styles.

rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: December 27, 2018, 09:17:51 PM »

Having been at the game yesterday, he was largely anonymous in the first half. That said, Arsenal were significantly poorer in the second half when he wasnt on the pitch. Guendouzi was comfortably the standout Arsenal player to be honest.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: December 27, 2018, 11:48:28 PM »

Discuss......

I think maureen was a mug who might well have been interested.

In all seriousness I think the lead balloon of Ozil's wages might well have played a big part in Ramsey's contract-offer being withdrawn as they both play in that free #10 role allbeit in very different styles.

FYP

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: December 28, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »

Sad news, Peter Hill-Wood has passed away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46700308

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: December 28, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »

Peter Hill-Wood was Arsenal to the core and the third successive Hill-Wood to be chairman following both his father and grandfather.

With the assistance of David Dein, he was responsible for the appointments of the two most successful managers of AFC's modern era: George Graham and Arsene Wenger.

RIP

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: December 28, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »

Discuss......

You've heard us, tell us what you think.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: December 28, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »

I'm just this minute hearing from my itk sauces that Ozil is OUT of tomorrow's game at Penny Lane.

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: December 28, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »

I'm just this minute hearing from my itk sauces that Ozil is OUT of tomorrow's game at Penny Lane.

As you know I've always had a soft spot for Arsenal and I'll certainly be rooting for you tomorrow. And I'll be turning a blind eye to any diving by Arsenal players Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 248 [249] 250 251 252 253 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: