blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Issues Arising from Staking
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issues Arising from Staking  (Read 82159 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »

Not sure why people have such an issue with it. It's a good idea.

If you are well known in the Poker community anyway, then there are loads of options of places to sell.

Blonde essentially facilitates for its active members.

Maybe people are keen to sell here because we are a bunch of softies who pay inflated prices  That's why people are keen to sell on here, they can spot a mug  Grin
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »

On PTP the seller ends up cutting the house in for 2% (capped)
On 2+2 it is quite clearly every man for himself.

Blonde is clearly different, there is more community spirit, but therein lies the rub.  Some seem to openly abuse that spirit (think I'm worth 1.3 but I think they will pay 1.5 so hey, its +EV so why not) whilst others are blissfully unaware that they are inadvertently doing so ~ they haven't sold shares before perhaps and are just lifting someone else's OP.

It has to be totally fine for Blonde (imo) to set an arbitrary line in the sand of what needs to happen - there is nothing in it for them to go to the effort and grief of case by case.  Blonde has chosen where to set that line and it looks reasonable to me, it is at a point where novice buyers and sellers are afforded a level of protection (from themselves! as well as from others) and it would be tough to say that Blonde had any further duty of care to members than that.

Sure, the system can be gamed by all - Mr Facebook gets a lot of action, joke posters get their post counts reset, new twists on stake requests can be introduced.

The one area that often causes ill feeling is the 'buyer beware' clause.  Sellers hate it when someone point out their previous misdemeanours and ofc that is understandable, but the alternative is to keep schtumm and watch an innocent party who wasn't aware of the history take a slice of something they otherwise wouldn't have.

I guess what I am trying to say is 'buyer beware' doesn't go hand in hand too well with community spirit.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 04, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »

Think actually people sell higher off here. Would be interesting to actually look at ave price. 1.5 only seems to be a trend for the main and again it's probably cos people are paying it

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »

People with over 40,000 posts should be the only ones able to ask for 1.5+ Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 04, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »

On PTP the seller ends up cutting the house in for 2% (capped)
On 2+2 it is quite clearly every man for himself.

Blonde is clearly different, there is more community spirit, but therein lies the rub.  Some seem to openly abuse that spirit (think I'm worth 1.3 but I think they will pay 1.5 so hey, its +EV so why not) whilst others are blissfully unaware that they are inadvertently doing so ~ they haven't sold shares before perhaps and are just lifting someone else's OP.

It has to be totally fine for Blonde (imo) to set an arbitrary line in the sand of what needs to happen - there is nothing in it for them to go to the effort and grief of case by case.  Blonde has chosen where to set that line and it looks reasonable to me, it is at a point where novice buyers and sellers are afforded a level of protection (from themselves! as well as from others) and it would be tough to say that Blonde had any further duty of care to members than that.

Sure, the system can be gamed by all - Mr Facebook gets a lot of action, joke posters get their post counts reset, new twists on stake requests can be introduced.

The one area that often causes ill feeling is the 'buyer beware' clause.  Sellers hate it when someone point out their previous misdemeanours and ofc that is understandable, but the alternative is to keep schtumm and watch an innocent party who wasn't aware of the history take a slice of something they otherwise wouldn't have.

I guess what I am trying to say is 'buyer beware' doesn't go hand in hand too well with community spirit.

There was an accidental sidebar to that with Wazz. 

It was clear he was "Post Counting", but he was doing it sensibly & constructively, & from that began a debate about the merits or otherwise of the 300 Rule.

It then emerged that Wazz had a bit of history (now completely sorted, of course) but were it not for the whole debate, I & many others would never have known that.

I'm not suggesting, not at all, that Wazz is not 100% trustworthy, it seems like he shares many traits with me - disorganized & lacking discipline in paperwork & the like. It's got me in trouble more times than enough with paying bills, so I'm not one to say he's a wrong 'un just because he messed up once. But it IS relevant to anyone wanting to buy action in him, & it only emerged because of the 300 Post rule.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »

Tbf to wazz, the 2+2 thread he put up he even included a voluntary link to the previous debacle.  Ofc the ungracious could say that it was inevitably going to be pointed out pretty quickly anyway so it was nothing more than a preemptive move.

I think all the Vegas noobs that are putting up threads should learn from mistakes made by others and give a little more thought to what they might do with $200k if it happens to be their turn this year.  It is pretty hard to put "I'm worth 1.5" with "going to the Post Office" and "what's an ITIN" in the same sentence.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 04, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »

I was aware of Wazz's history, so would probably have posted something if he didn't mention it in his staking request, so not sure it was entirely down to the 300 post rule.  

I think Stuart Rutter did this well in his staking request this year.  As I staked him last year, I was aware of the issues he had then.  But rather than keep it quiet, he was open about it in his post and still sold out.  I think that is good practice, and would hope Wazz follows this lead.

I must admit I am a bit concerned about something that was written in a recent thread about a couple of payment issues that were resolved off thread.  I am definitely of the view that if staking was asked for on Blonde, then there should be at least a note on thread that something has happened.  As it is now, I know there are a couple of people who had issues last year, just don't know who they are, or even if I have staked them (I guess Stuart's may be one, though am not entirely sure). I think that isn't ideal.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »

Tbf to wazz, the 2+2 thread he put up he even included a voluntary link to the previous debacle.  Ofc the ungracious could say that it was inevitably going to be pointed out pretty quickly anyway so it was nothing more than a preemptive move.

I think all the Vegas noobs that are putting up threads should learn from mistakes made by others and give a little more thought to what they might do with $200k if it happens to be their turn this year.  It is pretty hard to put "I'm worth 1.5" with "going to the Post Office" and "what's an ITIN" in the same sentence.

Hello Simon

I know what an ITIN is, and I know that if I transfer to my bank I am going to lose a couple of percent.  I go to Vegas every so often (probably not every year) so haven't got a dollar account.  And I am wise enough to know that I am not going to get my dollars at the post office.

Say I won $100k what are the other options other than taking it all as cash and trying to trade out with Players or taking that big bundle of cash in to London, which isn't something I'd be that happy doing.

To be fair, I didn't charge 1.1.

Cheers

Edit.  I did charge 1.1 ffs, I meant to write I didn't charge 1.5.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:37:42 PM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
wazz

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 04, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »

Tbf to wazz, the 2+2 thread he put up he even included a voluntary link to the previous debacle.  Ofc the ungracious could say that it was inevitably going to be pointed out pretty quickly anyway so it was nothing more than a preemptive move.

I think all the Vegas noobs that are putting up threads should learn from mistakes made by others and give a little more thought to what they might do with $200k if it happens to be their turn this year.  It is pretty hard to put "I'm worth 1.5" with "going to the Post Office" and "what's an ITIN" in the same sentence.

Tt was a condition of the reinstatement of my marketplace privileges that I insert a link to that thread in every future action-selling thread I make.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »

Tt was a condition of the reinstatement of my marketplace privileges that I insert a link to that thread in every future action-selling thread I make.

I'm interested to know what Rules they have in place there, which allow "marketplace privileges", do you have a link, please, or can you briefly appraise me?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »

I'm interested to know what Rules they have in place there, which allow "marketplace privileges", do you have a link, please, or can you briefly appraise me?

I don't know of privileges but you certainly cant post in staking thread until you have been a member for 6 months

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 04, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »

I don't know of privileges but you certainly cant post in staking thread until you have been a member for 6 months

Well that is an interesting angle.

Far be it for me to suggest 2+2, with it's volume & might, is wrong, but presumably, you could just sign up, lie dormant for 6 months (so nobody gets to know you, or a feel for your character) & then, off you go?

I'm not sure that would suit us.

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 04, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure 2p2 also run IP address checks and username checks looking for links to known scammers.  It is up to the staker to decide if they wish to invest or not, though first time sellers in the marketplace are often asked for references.  It is also nearly impossible to sell on 2p2 if you're not an active member of the community.  If you're account has been laying dormant for 6 months and you tried to start selling packages with investors having no prior knowledge of who you are you would be told to GTFO.  As with all staking issues, its very much up to the buyer to decide for themselves.

I am not sure if there are positive or negative feedback threads on Blonde?  But if not, might be a good idea to get them going?
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »

I was aware of Wazz's history, so would probably have posted something if he didn't mention it in his staking request, so not sure it was entirely down to the 300 post rule.  

I think Stuart Rutter did this well in his staking request this year.  As I staked him last year, I was aware of the issues he had then.  But rather than keep it quiet, he was open about it in his post and still sold out.  I think that is good practice, and would hope Wazz follows this lead.

I must admit I am a bit concerned about something that was written in a recent thread about a couple of payment issues that were resolved off thread.  I am definitely of the view that if staking was asked for on Blonde, then there should be at least a note on thread that something has happened.  As it is now, I know there are a couple of people who had issues last year, just don't know who they are, or even if I have staked them (I guess Stuart's may be one, though am not entirely sure). I think that isn't ideal.

Plus the fact that it was brought up without revealing who those people were makes everyone a suspect which is pretty tilting.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 04, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »

Well that is an interesting angle.

Far be it for me to suggest 2+2, with it's volume & might, is wrong, but presumably, you could just sign up, lie dormant for 6 months (so nobody gets to know you, or a feel for your character) & then, off you go?

I'm not sure that would suit us.

You also have to be an active member of 2+2.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: