blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The *official* "whatever happened to?" thread
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 ... 154 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The *official* "whatever happened to?" thread  (Read 521462 times)
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1260 on: August 06, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »

Was it ryan that got a4 in pre in the first hand of a big comp, thinking it was aces?

I do seem to remember that, but can't remember where it was.

The 2005 Blackpool Bonanza and Jimmy Alp's purple patch, ah yes, good memories.

Phil and Niamh Peters, last time I saw them was in Sunny Beach Bulgaria in 2010, hope they are both still well. Phil and I had a bit of a run in at Blackpool one time, when he was in one of his cantankerous moods, but we got on very well after that. Anyone remember the time he got thrown in jail in Vegas for card-counting (they claimed it was trespass)?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1261 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »

Was it ryan that got a4 in pre in the first hand of a big comp, thinking it was aces?

Phil and Niamh Peters, last time I saw them was in Sunny Beach Bulgaria in 2010, hope they are both still well. Phil and I had a bit of a run in at Blackpool one time, when he was in one of his cantankerous moods, but we got on very well after that. Anyone remember the time he got thrown in jail in Vegas for card-counting (they claimed it was trespass)?

I had a lot of time for Phil and Niamh. Did you ever see that TV prog they made about him spread betting? It was called Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.

At Junction 10 he once snatched his hand away when Tony attempted to shake it. He only did it in jest but it really put the old boy's nose out of joint. It took some smoothing over I can tell you.

The older I get, the better I was.
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1262 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »

Yes, I was working for a spread betting firm at the time it was on and watched it. Phil had sold total goals or bookings or something like that. I remember talking to Phil about it years later, which was when I realised it was him. "Old guy in an armchair doing his bollocks in" was his take on it. "They used to call me Peter Sellers" he said, as he always took the unders.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »

He was travelling with Betfair at the time.  He got barred from all harrahs properties which meant he couldn't play in the World Series.  From what I remember Betfair managed to smooth it over so he could play the main, but can't be sure.  He sure was cooperative with the smoothing over. 

He was playing a match game vs everyone whereby there were 4(?) piles of matches and you could take any number of matches from 1 pile and the person who took the last match loses.  He won hundreds, maybe a thousand from Betfair players one night.  I had learned the game when I was younger but couldn't remember the way to beat him.  That night I googled it on my laptop and found the perfect strategy.  So I played him the next day for no money (he took me for $150 the night before when I'd been drinking).  I just made it a sportsmans bet as I knew I was going to win.  I beat him and he was absolutely livid.  Called me all sorts.  He was the absolute sorest loser I have ever seen by some way.  Wish I'd put $200 down after, but dare say there was no way he'd have let me leave the table with it. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 06, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »

discussion of big luton finals on tft reminded me

Vik Kanwar?

Ryan Fronda?

Vik Kanwar was Lanz on Betfair.  Used to absolutely crush STTs in the early days at the highest levels.  I am sure his ROI was over 10% for a while. 

Met him a few years ago and asked why he no longer played.  He said he'd lost his gamble and just gone back to his old work.  He has had a couple of cashes fairly recently but really was a boss back in the day.

Wish I could remember the name of the bloke who used to crush 10/20 in the early days and retired from the game with enough money before it had even got tough.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 07, 2015, 06:36:36 PM »

Vik Kanwar?

Ryan Fronda?

Vik Kanwar was Lanz on Betfair.  Used to absolutely crush STTs in the early days at the highest levels.  I am sure his ROI was over 10% for a while. 

Met him a few years ago and asked why he no longer played.  He said he'd lost his gamble and just gone back to his old work.  He has had a couple of cashes fairly recently but really was a boss back in the day.

Wish I could remember the name of the bloke who used to crush 10/20 in the early days and retired from the game with enough money before it had even got tough.

Often wondered who he was IRL.  He was a beast at the £300 and £500 10 seater stts 10 years ago on crypto.  I rememeber the first time i won a £500 10 seater and played him heads up and felt like i had won the world.  I think his ROI at those stakes (before rakeback) was well above 10% at one stage.  Him and Buzzer dominated the volumes but Lanz always had a much better roi even though he played higher stakes only.

Seen Peters a few times at bf days.  Never seen his bad losing side tbh.  I always remember the first time I met him telling me how he was gambling for a living before i was even born.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 08, 2015, 12:40:32 AM »

I had a lot of time for Phil and Niamh. Did you ever see that TV prog they made about him spread betting? It was called Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.

At Junction 10 he once snatched his hand away when Tony attempted to shake it. He only did it in jest but it really put the old boy's nose out of joint. It took some smoothing over I can tell you.

I'd like to watch that. I've tried google but no joy. Does anyone know how I could watch it please ?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1267 on: August 08, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »

I'd like to watch that. I've tried google but no joy. Does anyone know how I could watch it please ?

I've looked for it too but I can't find it.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »

Found this old article about arbboy Phil.  It is quite good.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/aug/19/sport.comment3

Pretty sure he is banned pretty much anywhere for card counting.

I think he still plays poker.  He used to play as Philly and I still see Philly or Philly and a number around (maybe on stars?).  Wherever it is, the style of play is like the way Philly used to play on Betfair. 

Is probably still making money from his match game in a pub somewhere.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 08, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »

Vik Kanwar?

Ryan Fronda?

Vik Kanwar was Lanz on Betfair.  Used to absolutely crush STTs in the early days at the highest levels.  I am sure his ROI was over 10% for a while.  

Met him a few years ago and asked why he no longer played.  He said he'd lost his gamble and just gone back to his old work.  He has had a couple of cashes fairly recently but really was a boss back in the day.

Often wondered who he was IRL.  He was a beast at the £300 and £500 10 seater stts 10 years ago on crypto.  I rememeber the first time i won a £500 10 seater and played him heads up and felt like i had won the world.  I think his ROI at those stakes (before rakeback) was well above 10% at one stage.  Him and Buzzer dominated the volumes but Lanz always had a much better roi even though he played higher stakes only.

Seen Peters a few times at bf days.  Never seen his bad losing side tbh.  I always remember the first time I met him telling me how he was gambling for a living before i was even born.

He was a beast - likeable beast - in real life, too. Not the sort of chap I'd want to get the wrong side of. I played cash with him once in Bob the Butcher's spieler, down in Catford or somesuch. Won my biggest ever cash pot against him, but was then faced with the problem of getting out of the place alive at 4am, with the exit being via a back fire escape. Just when I was wondering how to escape safely, with over £5k in my pocket, I was offered a lift home - by Bob the Butcher & Debbie. Ahh, all's well then.....

They had a bright red Rolls Royce at the time, quite the character was Bob.

Here's the beast Kanwar.  

And he was not the sort of guy you'd ever see in a shocking pink T-Shirt. But then again, what sort of bloke would ever wear something so utterly appalling?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 08, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »

Great to see you here Mr Raab.

You still running Eureka?

Hope all is well with you & yours.

For younger readers, or those relatively recent to the game, Jonathan (Alright Jack) was the man who founded & run the GUKPT for many years. It was the first tour of it's kind in the UK, spawned many imitations, & most of us cut our Tour teeth in it. 

It's still running to this day, too. Well done Mr R, that looks pretty impressive on your "what I have done for poker" CV. 

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »

Ha, I don't recall that, but I can well imagine it happening.

Thing is, Phil is old, & old people are generally miserable, ill-mannered & grumpy. I've met a few in my time, I can tell you.

I do know I used to get under his skin by suggesting that Naomi (sp?) was a better player than he was.

I'd go play poker all over Europe then, & invariably, I'd see Phil there, sitting in the corner, with his Racing Post. Some life he has had. Hope he is OK.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:57:27 AM by tikay » Logged

Micko

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 08, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

Talking of the old betfair days, anyone remember NoseyBoy?

I think he was a big tournament winner in the tournies but quite aggressive in the chat box  Grin
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 08, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »

I remember him. Southerner, used to play him regular then we met in St Maartens at a land based tourny there. Not sure where he is now. Trying to remember the Irish lad too who was always on our tables, can picture him but cant name him, bugger.

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 08, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »

Gouty?

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 ... 154 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: