blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:04:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 669 670 [671] 672 673 674 675 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2189852 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10050 on: June 13, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Rees-Mogg

This guy will do.  Not sure he wants the hassle.

Hes far too posh and lacks social awareness of just how posh he comes across, would be a landslide.

No more posh than Dave C but far smarter imo and a brexit supporter.

"I gradually realised that whatever I happened to be speaking about, the number of voters in my favour dropped as soon as I opened my mouth."

Says more about the British public than Mogg imo.  Why don't we want the elite and educated running our country?

Yup very true mate, many of the Labour chavs can't go for it though....
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »

Hes far too posh and lacks social awareness of just how posh he comes across, would be a landslide.

"I gradually realised that whatever I happened to be speaking about, the number of voters in my favour dropped as soon as I opened my mouth."

Says more about the British public than Mogg imo.  Why don't we want the elite and educated running our country?

Oh I agree, bring back the king.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »

People take the piss out of Corbs for a year saying he was clueless.  TM was useless and not a leader or smart enough to debate under pressure.  Yet someone that could easily do it is too posh for the gig?  Wtf do the people want?  Some chav from a council estate in Rotherham who never went to school or uni, brought up on benefits yet is suddenly able to crush debating in PMQ's on a Wednesday lunchtime?
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »

People take the piss out of Corbs for a year saying he was clueless.  TM was useless and not a leader or smart enough to debate under pressure.  Yet someone that could easily do it is too posh for the gig?  Wtf do the people want?  Some chav from a council estate in Rotherham who never went to school or uni, brought up on benefits yet is suddenly able to crush debating in PMQ's on a Wednesday lunchtime?

Read your own link, he couldnt get the tory voters who voted for his predecessors to vote for him, he bucked swings towards tories in previous elections.

Oh yeah lets get this fella-

Rees-Mogg also opposes marriage for same-sex couples, saying that he is "not proud" of it being legal and that it will alienate "traditional supporters" of his party.[41][42] Rees-Mogg's reasoning for this is that gay marriage does not align with the Roman Catholic faith, saying "It's purely a religious matter. It's a question of what is a sacrament."
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: June 13, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »

The tories primary goal is to win elections and be in power, hence it was called when they were 15% ahead, they are now 3% behind, no chance they will call one now. They will just hang on until too many by-elections go the wrong way.

The best the tories can hope for is to stay in power and hope something comes up which means they can win the next one.

Every parties primary goal is to win elections and be in power....

I have never been sure that Jeremy Corbyn shares that view.

I am not sure Corbyn thinks he lost and his supporters are absolutely cocksure they have won. 

I wrote something about this other day in one of my lefty sites I will post here later but this is so important for the left to address.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »

Read your own link, he couldnt get the tory voters who voted for his predecessors to vote for him, he bucked swings towards tories in previous elections.

Rees-Mogg also opposes marriage for same-sex couples, saying that he is "not proud" of it being legal and that it will alienate "traditional supporters" of his party.[41][42] Rees-Mogg's reasoning for this is that gay marriage does not align with the Roman Catholic faith, saying "It's purely a religious matter. It's a question of what is a sacrament."

I think the bigger picture is the fact certain people are considered 'too posh/educated' to run the country.  This might be why the country is in the mess it is.  It is just as bad as saying someone can't run the country because they are a woman/gay/black imo.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »

Camel et al would love the chav! 
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »

Roman Catholic can't be PM in this country.  Rules out Mogg.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10058 on: June 13, 2017, 09:12:42 PM »

The education level part is probably skewed by older voters not going to uni in the same percentages as the young.

Yep, anyone who thinks that education level is some sort of damning statistic when it comes to political leanings is misguided. Too many people go to Uni these days and half the courses are totally useless. It would have meant something 30 years ago before D students would go to Rotherham University to study Gender Studies.

I'd like to see the stats for amount of tax paid.
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: June 13, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

This guy will do.  Not sure he wants the hassle.

Says more about the British public than Mogg imo.  Why don't we want the elite and educated running our country?

I think the bigger picture is the fact certain people are considered 'too posh/educated' to run the country.  This might be why the country is in the mess it is.  It is just as bad as saying someone can't run the country because they are a woman/gay/black imo.

I dont think its fair to lump posh/educated into one thing. The issue is posh. Yes it may deny us a politician of great worth (dont think rees-mogg is that in all honesty hes a party rebel, to be awkward or for his own gains, and seems to represent a very old fashioned tory party, turn 19th of century) but if hes been aware of the issue hes had ample opportunity to tone it down, as you say hes no different to cameron. Its nothing like being a woman, gay or black because these things arent a choice. If I cant get a promotion because I sound like Vicky Pollard thats not fair, you should judge me on what I say, but I dont get the job all the same and its my choice whether I improve it or tone it down. Why is it any different from him.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:17:25 PM by JohnCharver » Logged
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:11 PM »

Tony Blair was RC
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »

Being posh and educated aren't a choice either if you come from his background and don't wish to rebel and not educate yourself just because it gives you a better chance to run the country.  What a stupid thing to say.  why should you have to 'tone down' being posh?  Whatever that means!  A chav could have the same views on same sex marriage as Mogg.  Why does his posh accent make any difference?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:20:04 PM by arbboy » Logged
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10062 on: June 13, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »

Tony Blair was RC

I think he may be referring to the fact that it might make the coalition with the DUP harder (correct me if I'm wrong PokerBroker).
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: June 13, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »

Politics is a bit of a chess game and as much as I defo want someone honest and not entirely self serving at the helm I think we also need someone who can play the game.

Dave Cammers, he was a knob, yes - but he knew how to play the game, until he took a big gamble on the Brexit debacle and thats him gg forever. Big Jezza knows how to play the game, Theresa May don't even know the rules.

*EDIT* I'm watching house of cards atm so am likely being a bit dramatic Tongue

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10064 on: June 13, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »

Politics is a bit of a chess game and as much as I defo want someone honest and not entirely self serving at the helm I think we also need someone who can play the game.

Dave Cammers, he was a knob, yes - but he knew how to play the game, until he took a big gamble on the Brexit debacle and thats him gg forever. Big Jezza knows how to play the game, Theresa May don't even know the rules.

*EDIT* I'm watching house of cards atm so am likely being a bit dramatic Tongue

Boris knows how to play the game and is as posh as fuck, and he could win a general election if conditions were right (IMO).
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 669 670 [671] 672 673 674 675 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: