blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 782 783 784 785 [786] 787 788 789 790 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197753 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11775 on: December 22, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »

This analysis of the UK economy and Brexit is worth a read

https://www.ft.com/content/37944828-e586-11e7-8b99-0191e45377ec

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11776 on: December 22, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »

Those parts of the UK that voted most strongly for Leave would be hurt disproportionately more by a hard Brexit with no trade deal, says University of Birmingham, City-Redi research institute

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #11777 on: December 22, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

Those parts of the UK that voted most strongly for Leave would be hurt disproportionately more by a hard Brexit with no trade deal, says University of Birmingham, City-Redi research institute

I took my son to an open day at Birmingham uni, he is looking to study Economics. The Professor who gave the lecture was arrogant, up is own arse and a truly horrible individual. He absolutely berated the people who voted leave and tried to make them look like idiots. Not what i would expect from a man in his position.

Ah! The element of surprise
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #11778 on: December 23, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

Is it okay to admire Boris Johnson just for today?

I promise it won't happen again.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #11779 on: December 23, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »

I took my son to an open day at Birmingham uni, he is looking to study Economics. The Professor who gave the lecture was arrogant, up is own arse and a truly horrible individual. He absolutely berated the people who voted leave and tried to make them look like idiots. Not what i would expect from a man in his position.

So given this research, doesn't he have a pretty sound case?
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #11780 on: December 23, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »

Like all statistics you can make them show what ever you want but that's not my point, he should be impartial in his position.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #11781 on: December 23, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »

Don't think uni economists have ever believed in impartiality.  They take views as do many social scientists.  Historians do as well I think.   
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11782 on: December 24, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »

I’m a Celeb’s Toff highlights the Conservatives’ youth problem

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/im-a-celebs-toff-highlights-the-conservatives-youth-problem/

My eyes are open wide
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #11783 on: December 24, 2017, 11:13:11 AM »

Don't think uni economists have ever believed in impartiality.  They take views as do many social scientists.  Historians do as well I think.   

We also went Pembroke College Oxford, LSE and Warwick and no other professor took sides or lambasted either side of the vote.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11784 on: December 24, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »

Like all statistics you can make them show what ever you want but that's not my point, he should be impartial in his position.

this is such a trite argument. you or anyone else will be doing very well indeed to make the statistics show that brexit is an economic + for the UK. its really not a case that "like all statistics you can make them show" whatever. Its one of the very worst aspects of the whole debate that the views of "experts" are derided simply because they are "experts" sometimes by people (not you, and not aimed at anyone on here) often with no qualifications whatsover

of course we know its about identity, sovereignty, being left behind and xenophobia in some quarters and not about economics (and some surveys show that a majority ofleavers think economic harm - even if it meant family members losing jobs- is a price worth paying)

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11785 on: December 24, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »

this is such a trite argument. you or anyone else will be doing very well indeed to make the statistics show that brexit is an economic + for the UK. its really not a case that "like all statistics you can make them show" whatever. Its one of the very worst aspects of the whole debate that the views of "experts" are derided simply because they are "experts" sometimes by people (not you, and not aimed at anyone on here) often with no qualifications whatsover

of course we know its about identity, sovereignty, being left behind and xenophobia in some quarters and not about economics (and some surveys show that a majority ofleavers think economic harm - even if it meant family members losing jobs- is a price worth paying)

What about all the wild predictions from ‘experts’ telling us how shit Brexit will be when they have no clue what the end deal with the EU will be? Do they also know what other trade deals will be struck with non EU countries after Brexit? Are they mind readers or something?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:41:38 AM by Woodsey » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11786 on: December 24, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »

Well much like the recent Barnier slide they can work out what it is likely to look like from the UK's red lines, it's going to look like EU-Canada. Which took several years to negotiate. With the exception of the US all non EU trade deals will be smaller than EU-UK so less likely to cause massive forecasting errors.

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11787 on: December 24, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »

Well much like the recent Barnier slide they can work out what it is likely to look like from the UK's red lines, it's going to look like EU-Canada. Which took several years to negotiate. With the exception of the US all non EU trade deals will be smaller than EU-UK so less likely to cause massive forecasting errors.

And subsequent deals with non EU countries?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11788 on: December 24, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »

Already answered. I stand by my point, the derision towards experts is unedifying and has been so for three years, one of the worst parts of the political ppopulsim that has been a reaction to the financial crash, bankers excesses etc.

My eyes are open wide
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #11789 on: December 24, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »

And subsequent deals with non EU countries?

What about them? They cannot be as attractive as the deals we would get as part of the EU as we are a less attractive market. The access the deals provide will be far less meaning the incentives countries have to offer good deals will also be reduced. They will also take a long time to negotiate and we simply don't have the manpower or expertise to perform many deals at once.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 784 785 [786] 787 788 789 790 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: