blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 784 785 786 787 [788] 789 790 791 792 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2218125 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11805 on: December 25, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

Another year over... What were 2017's most noticed news stories? | https://t.co/ozkbVna3NM

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: December 25, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »

Another year over... What were 2017's most noticed news stories? | https://t.co/ozkbVna3NM

What no Bitcoin?

Ah! The element of surprise
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: December 29, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »

There are some amazing revelations in the Irish State Papers for 1987 just released under the thirty-year rule.

The transcript of a 1 (+1) on 1 (+1) meeting between the Irish and British PMs is riveting. The background (which I remember well) is that several extradition requests by the UK had failed in the Irish courts for technical reasons - publicised by the Irish as being due to incompetence in British procedures, but believed by the British authorities (possibly correctly) to be caused by the Irish wilfully not co-operating.

It's an extrordinary discussion for two Prime Ministers to have. Thatcher: "I am very angry about all this. My feelings go deeper than anger."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/keep-trying-you-are-most-able-haughey-s-soothing-words-to-thatcher-1.3326157
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: December 29, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »

The State Papers also contain what is surely the most extraordinary revelation ever to come out of the papers of either government, ie that the UVF wrote to the Irish government to warn that MI5 had approached them to assassinate Charles Haughey, the then Irish Prime Minister, and that the Irish authorities took it seriously. The UVF claimed they declined "We have no love for you but we are not going to carry out work for the Dirty Tricks Department of the British."

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2017/1229/928724-state-papers-1987/

It may be almost unbelievable that one Western government would seek the assassination of the PM of another, especially two countries as close as the UK and Ireland, but I doubt that many would think it is impossible with regard to that particular British government. It is inconceivable that MI5 would take such action without government authorisation. Of course, it could have been that the UVF was just trying to cause trouble and disrupt the relationship between the two governments. Whatever the truth, the two governments somehow continued to work together.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: December 29, 2017, 11:57:02 PM »

NI/Irish politics, possibly the biggest snooze fest but closely challenged by Israel/Palestine politics, both top reasons for me to turn the telly over....    talktothehand talktothehand
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: December 30, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »

The FTSE 100 has finished 2017 21% up on the day of the EU referendum. (overseas earners,and global economy doing well, trump tax cuts for corporates etc)

The pound is 9% down, having started the year 18% down.

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: December 30, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »

Andrew Adonis resignation letter from Chair of UK infrastructure commission over EU Withdrawal Bill -

“worst legislation of my lifetime” for a
“Ukip allied Brexit ..fraught with danger” and
 “indefensible bailout” of East Coast Mainline:

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »

NI/Irish politics, possibly the biggest snooze fest but closely challenged by Israel/Palestine politics, both top reasons for me to turn the telly over....   talktothehand talktothehand

No surprise. I'm sure there are many who have no interest in anything outside Great Britain unless they perceive it as affecting them.

Thankfully, for the sake of our society, there are also many who are not .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:15:14 AM by MintTrav » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: December 30, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »

NI/Irish politics, possibly the biggest snooze fest but closely challenged by Israel/Palestine politics, both top reasons for me to turn the telly over....   talktothehand talktothehand

No surprise. I'm sure there are many who have no interest in anything outside Great Britain unless they perceive it as affecting them.

I doubt they really care, they are just the people who whine about everything poking their noses in on conversations as they can’t help themselves. I remember my colleague from Lisburn saying to me once when I was quizzing her about NI stuff ‘Why do you even care? I don’t care about what is  happening in xxxxx’, she was right I didn’t, I was just being polite and making chat. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: December 30, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »

NI/Irish politics, possibly the biggest snooze fest but closely challenged by Israel/Palestine politics, both top reasons for me to turn the telly over....    talktothehand talktothehand

I doubt they really care, they are just the people who whine about everything poking their noses in on conversations as they can’t help themselves. I remember my colleague from Lisburn saying to me once when I was quizzing her about NI stuff ‘Why do you even care? I don’t care about what is  happening in xxxxx’, she was right I didn’t, I was just being polite and making chat. 

you'd care if Brexit/hard border/DUP etc led to a resumption of hostilities i presume?

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: December 30, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »

That is the only thing in the last 40 years that’s pricked my interest, obviously it’s just reared it’s head recently, the chat was about conversations that have come to light from a gazillion years ago....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:43:38 AM by Woodsey » Logged
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: January 03, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

Did enjoy this headline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-42556079/parasites-invading-houses-of-parliament?SThisFB

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: January 04, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »

39% Express to Guardian. 59% Telegraph to Guardian. Most people aren't idelogical... https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/01/03/which-newspaper-websites-get-most-crossover-reader/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: January 04, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »

this is fun

Why are you voting Leave (left) or Remain (right)?

Open ended questions coded

Battle of the word clouds

Source: British Election Study

for leavers its not about the economy, for remainers it is.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: January 04, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »

everyone has got some time for some academic long reads right?

the LSE

New working paper on immobility and Brexit - people living in county of birth are 7% more likely to be pro-Brexit, but only when the local area has experienced economic decline or in-migration http://bit.ly/2CQ6QRG

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 786 787 [788] 789 790 791 792 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: