blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 1115 1116 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199030 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16665 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:14 AM »

I was reading that the term “mixed race” is now an unacceptable use of words. Genuinely didn’t know this. We should be using the phrase “mixed parentage” instead apparently.

The politicians better get that one right too.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/aug/26/the-mixed-race-experience-there-are-times-i-feel-like-the-odd-one-out-

Think you'll be ok for a while, it was in the guardian a few months ago.   I don't think I have ever used mixed parentage, or have ever taken offence to mixed race.   I am sure there are way worse terms to use.

Was it an american article?  Maybe it is frowned upon a lot more there?

Why on earth would you take offence to it anyway? You’re not one of those snowflakes that get offended for other people are you?

Think about it for more than a second.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16666 on: March 08, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »

I was reading that the term “mixed race” is now an unacceptable use of words. Genuinely didn’t know this. We should be using the phrase “mixed parentage” instead apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/aug/26/the-mixed-race-experience-there-are-times-i-feel-like-the-odd-one-out-

Think you'll be ok for a while, it was in the guardian a few months ago.   I don't think I have ever used mixed parentage, or have ever taken offence to mixed race.   I am sure there are way worse terms to use.

Was it an american article?  Maybe it is frowned upon a lot more there?

Why on earth would you take offence to it anyway? You’re not one of those snowflakes that get offended for other people are you?

I did, I might think someone is a twat or deserve a punch in the face for saying something out of order to someone else, but would I ever be offended? No.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16667 on: March 08, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »

Think you'll be ok for a while, it was in the guardian a few months ago.   I don't think I have ever used mixed parentage, or have ever taken offence to mixed race.   I am sure there are way worse terms to use.

I did, I might think someone is a twat or deserve a punch in the face for saying something out of order to someone else, but would I ever be offended? No.......

I am white, my kids aren't.   I think I only ever really use mixed race on forms, but suspect it doesn't specifically say "mixed race".   I am not offended by people who refer to them as mixed race, but British is usually better.  I'd be a bit irritated by half caste and have heard worse.

I assume you are ok if I get offended by things that get said to my kids?  That strikes me as an entirely normal thing.  I think it is also ok to be offended by things said to friends too.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16668 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »

I am white, my kids aren't.   I think I only ever really use mixed race on forms, but suspect it doesn't specifically say "mixed race".   I am not offended by people who refer to them as mixed race, but British is usually better.  I'd be a bit irritated by half caste and have heard worse.

I assume you are ok if I get offended by things that get said to my kids?  That strikes me as an entirely normal thing.  I think it is also ok to be offended by things said to friends too.   

You aren’t special nor have any unique insight into it more than me, my daughter is also mixed race, having a mixed raced daughter doesn’t change the way I think about it, I’d still just think they are a twat.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16669 on: March 08, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »

TPLAC > DC > LDC > HRRC > TPLAC

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #16670 on: March 08, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »

It is all beyond ridiculous.

Surely it is only offensive if someone means it to be offensive or to cause offence!!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16671 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »

You aren’t special nor have any unique insight into it more than me, my daughter is also mixed race, having a mixed raced daughter doesn’t change the way I think about it, I’d still just think they are a twat.

I didn't say I had any unique insight, I said I wouldn't be offended by mixed race.  Then you asked why, implying I was a snowflake, and I explained why.

I don't think mixed race is offensive either way.   I guess it isn't technically correct, but neither is white.

If you were sat in a bar and someone called your missus a racist term aggresively you wouldn't take offence?  I am pretty sure I would; I'd think they were a twat too. 

Back to the topic, Amber Rudd was trying to be empathetic, so you should forgive the way she said it.  I can see why Diane Abbott is sensitive, as she attracts way more racist abuse than any other MP.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16672 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

Labour being investigated by The Equality and Human Rights Commission. A spokesman said “We believe Labour may have unlawfully discriminated against people because of their ethnicity and religious beliefs. Our concerns are sufficient for us to consider using our statutory enforcement powers”. They have only acted against the BNP before. I’m offended.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16673 on: March 08, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »

I actually think she misspoke slightly in not wanting to limit her empathy and exampling to black women like Diane abbot. Unfortunately she used a group identity of 'coloured women', rather than use the BAME acronym. Obvs apologies and resignation are the minimum she'll need to do to show contrition.

sola virtus nobilitat
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #16674 on: March 08, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »

It is all beyond ridiculous.

Surely it is only offensive if someone means it to be offensive or to cause offence!!

This makes me think of the Tottenham fans wanting to refer to themselves as yids.

"The fact is that whatever its origins, their continuing use of the Y-word legitimises and sustains the racist abuse aimed at Spurs by other fans. It's a call and response dynamic, like many at football matches. So the more Spurs do it, the more it comes back, with menaces. Many Chelsea fans who I have challenged feel they are justified because "the Yids is what Spurs call themselves".

Regardless of whether there is intent to offend, certain terms are not used any more as they just legitimise them being used back against that group of people. The N word seems to be the exception to that rule. 
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #16675 on: March 08, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

If we’re looking for a proper candidate for resignation then we should look no further than Karen Bradley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47481477

She’s made a series of remarks demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the role that she’s in, and seemingly only retains her post through loyalty from TMay.

Amber Rudd made a schoolgirl error in the use of that term: as a professional politician, she really should have had the composure to use the correct term. I get the feeling that the white middle class feel that the term “black” is actually more offensive. In any event, her clear intention was to show particular support & empathy for Diane Abbott, but instead she gets thrown under the bus, instantly.

It’s a shame we get diverted from real issues by all the “political correctness” BS
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #16676 on: March 08, 2019, 02:18:05 PM »

Think you'll be ok for a while, it was in the guardian a few months ago.   I don't think I have ever used mixed parentage, or have ever taken offence to mixed race.   I am sure there are way worse terms to use.

Was it an american article?  Maybe it is frowned upon a lot more there?

It was a BBC article I think. It said we should use "mixed parentage" or "duel heritage" as mixed race implies a pure race exists.

I don't know how they come to that conclusion.

Seems some people just over think stuff.

There is a weird obsession with being PC though and a seeming determination to find offence in almost anything that is said these days.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16677 on: March 08, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »

Strangely, we never hear many complaints about Pikey, Gypo or gypsy with a lower-case g.

The older I get, the better I was.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #16678 on: March 08, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »

https://twitter.com/mckinneytweets/status/1104022859532460033

The sheer numbers of EU nationals involved and Government IT project history could make Windrush look tiny.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16679 on: March 08, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »

I remain amazed people take offence full stop.

Pretty sure when i was a kid, blacks was ok, even to the then black people. Then as a young man it was coloured,  as someone determined black was rude.

Now coloured is rude and we are as Amy would say, back to black.

Why in its very description is it offensive to anyone?

I am white, and always have been, apart from the odd pink moment.

It's all BS , pretty much designed for those that want to take offence to find a reason to.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 1115 1116 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: