blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 1114 1115 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2198968 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16650 on: March 07, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/07/life-expectancy-slumps-by-five-months

Life expectancy is falling again in the UK.   Expect it is more to do with the likes of Shamima Begum than Austerity...

It would be good to see the same data for all equivalent countries. There’s scope for more analysis but it’s clear that austerity is a prolific killer.

Thanks Doobs. He's off again..... Roll Eyes

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: March 07, 2019, 08:52:08 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/07/life-expectancy-slumps-by-five-months

Life expectancy is falling again in the UK.   Expect it is more to do with the likes of Shamima Begum than Austerity...

It would be good to see the same data for all equivalent countries. There’s scope for more analysis but it’s clear that austerity is a prolific killer.

As always, your understanding is so poor, that it’s hard to work out if we’re talking about the same thing. You’re saying austerity isn’t killing massive numbers of people? You’re in good company, the PM isn’t sure if ~14% reduction in the number of police is linked to more crime.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:56:31 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: March 07, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »

Archer

the thread is now basically Mantis talking to himself so he is happy anyway

in other news Amber Rudd calls a black woman a coloured and still has a job

we really are back in 1950

I know coloured is a long out dated word and people find it offensive - it was in common parlance for people of a certain age. It didn’t mean everyone that used it then was a racist.

I’ve listened to Amber Rudd and honestly don’t think she is a racist.

She seems extremely apologetic and embarrassed.  Does an inappropriate use of one word mean we should see her lose her job? If it does we are going to be sacking a hell of a lot of people when they make a genuine mistake?

Agreed but what about the double standard. What would happen if Corbyn used a word that used to be in standard use and is now considered anti-Semitic? We’re not sure if Rudd is a racist (I do agree that she probably isn’t). Corbyn is a man who has devoted his life to fighting against all forms of racism.

Same standard should be applied to Corbyn if he used an outdated and ill judged word then immediately apologised.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: March 07, 2019, 09:38:08 PM »

Archer

I know coloured is a long out dated word and people find it offensive - it was in common parlance for people of a certain age. It didn’t mean everyone that used it then was a racist.

She seems extremely apologetic and embarrassed.  Does an inappropriate use of one word mean we should see her lose her job? If it does we are going to be sacking a hell of a lot of people when they make a genuine mistake?

Agreed but what about the double standard. What would happen if Corbyn used a word that used to be in standard use and is now considered anti-Semitic? We’re not sure if Rudd is a racist (I do agree that she probably isn’t). Corbyn is a man who has devoted his life to fighting against all forms of racism.

Same standard should be applied to Corbyn if he used an outdated and ill judged word then immediately apologised.

Yes it should. The reality on the other hand would be very different.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: March 07, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »

As always, your understanding is so poor, that it’s hard to work out if we’re talking about the same thing. You’re saying austerity isn’t killing massive numbers of people? You’re in good company, the PM isn’t sure if ~14% reduction in the number of police is linked to more crime.

As always, even after my comment yesterday, you have tried to turn this to say what you want it to say.

I didn't say you were wrong did i? Did I?

I just stated you were on your high horse again. And you are Roll Eyes

oh and a condescending prat to boot.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: March 07, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »

As always, even after my comment yesterday, you have tried to turn this to say what you want it to say.

I didn't say you were wrong did i? Did I?

I just stated you were on your high horse again. And you are Roll Eyes

oh and a condescending prat to boot.

It’s hard to argue with any of that. I guess I was looking for a spot to point out how bad your understanding usually is and I overreached.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »

Owen Jones on QT shortly.......Surely the biggest arsehole journalist currently? Lets see what sanctimonious bollox he starts spouting.....
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: March 07, 2019, 10:38:59 PM »

It may be that as medicine becomes more knowledgable about outcomes that they stop pissing money away on extending very old peoples lives by a few months with pointless treatments. Arguing that austerity kills is all very dramatic but entirely unproven and probably unprovable

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: March 07, 2019, 10:39:51 PM »

I think it's probably down to remainiac doctors euthanasing as many old people as they could over the last 3 years

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: March 07, 2019, 10:40:04 PM »

Archer

Yes it should. The reality on the other hand would be very different.

The reality is that Corbyn wouldn’t apologise. He’d deny saying it and when they played the recording he’d claim that it was John Culshaw.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #16660 on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

I have some sympathy for Amber Rudd and her use of the clearly dated "coloured" in her attempt to show empathy with Diane Abbott.

I'm pretty sure that she would have been fine had she used the seemingly acceptable "people of colour" instead.

If that is the case did Diane Abbott really have to highlight her gaffe?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16661 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:10 AM »

I have some sympathy for Amber Rudd and her use of the clearly dated "coloured" in her attempt to show empathy with Diane Abbott.

I'm pretty sure that she would have been fine had she used the seemingly acceptable "people of colour" instead.

If that is the case did Diane Abbott really have to highlight her gaffe?

It wouldn't be the greatest shock in the world to imagine this is how Abbott has made it to the position she is in now.

Everything I have seen of her is totally incompetent and she has been found out so often, yet still she sits there.

There has to be a reason in there somehow.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: March 08, 2019, 07:37:21 AM »

I was reading that the term “mixed race” is now an unacceptable use of words. Genuinely didn’t know this. We should be using the phrase “mixed parentage” instead apparently.

The politicians better get that one right too.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: March 08, 2019, 08:36:28 AM »

I was reading that the term “mixed race” is now an unacceptable use of words. Genuinely didn’t know this. We should be using the phrase “mixed parentage” instead apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/aug/26/the-mixed-race-experience-there-are-times-i-feel-like-the-odd-one-out-

Think you'll be ok for a while, it was in the guardian a few months ago.   I don't think I have ever used mixed parentage, or have ever taken offence to mixed race.   I am sure there are way worse terms to use.

Was it an american article?  Maybe it is frowned upon a lot more there?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: March 08, 2019, 09:04:23 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/aug/26/the-mixed-race-experience-there-are-times-i-feel-like-the-odd-one-out-

Think you'll be ok for a while, it was in the guardian a few months ago.   I don't think I have ever used mixed parentage, or have ever taken offence to mixed race.   I am sure there are way worse terms to use.

Was it an american article?  Maybe it is frowned upon a lot more there?

Why on earth would you take offence to it anyway? You’re not one of those snowflakes that get offended for other people are you?
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 1114 1115 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: