blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 1151 1152 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180454 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17205 on: May 02, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »

Is this historic thread finally losing momentum (pun not intended)?

Cabinet minister sacked for allegedly breaching the Official Secrets Act, Labour continuing to act as two parties sitting under the same banner, UKIP now looking more like the BNP than a party interested in Brexit.  Amid all that, we have local elections today which are intriguing as to what extent the voting public will punish the Tories, Labour and UKIP respectively.  Arguably all deserve to get hammered, but will that prove to be the case?

Whilst Tighty isn’t posting propaganda and Kuku isn’t spouting the previous usual bollocks there’s nobody to argue with 
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17206 on: May 02, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »

Cabinet minister sacked for allegedly breaching the Official Secrets Act, Labour continuing to act as two parties sitting under the same banner, UKIP now looking more like the BNP than a party interested in Brexit.  Amid all that, we have local elections today which are intriguing as to what extent the voting public will punish the Tories, Labour and UKIP respectively.  Arguably all deserve to get hammered, but will that prove to be the case?

I know of absolutely no one that has admitted to or considering voting, because they are all so tired of it all

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #17207 on: May 02, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »

No local elections in my part of the country, but the turnouts are traditionally low (30-35%?) for these “mid-terms”.

As Adz has said, I suspect overwhelming voter apathy and political fatigue will result in record low turnouts for this latest round. Those that do actually turn out will struggle to find a candidate worthy of the X in their box. If Monster Raving Loony was available to me, that’s what I’d go for.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17208 on: May 02, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »

I know of absolutely no one that has admitted to or considering voting, because they are all so tired of it all

Can’t really be arsed, but as the polling station is about 30 meters from my house I suppose I should now I’ve been reminded......
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17209 on: May 02, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »

Can’t really be arsed, but as the polling station is about 30 meters from my house I suppose I should now I’ve been reminded......

I've never felt less apathetic to vote, given the shambles of the two main parties at the moment.

Local elections are straightforward for me, as the Lib Dem councillors we have are very active and do a decent job in keeping us updated on things.

It's a more difficult choice when the EU elections come round in a few weeks time.  Despite voting Leave originally I want to support a pro-Remain party in them.  I had assumed that the Lib Dems would have been the highest polling of these from last time around, but on looking at the results it was actually the Greens.  Throwing Change UK into the mix confuses things even further, and the D'Hondt voting system really doesn't favour such confusion (which is why Farage's Brexit Party will likely do very well in them, assuming it mops up the UK vote from last time).  Maximising the chances of a pro-Remain MEP requires second-guessing which one of the above will actually pick up most votes.

Ultimately, I may just use it as a reason to vote Green for the first time and hope that others align the same way.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #17210 on: May 02, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »

District elections here, was quite surprised to see there are 7 candidates for the 2 seats in our small ward. It's usually a weigh-the-vote for the Tories so will be interesting to see if that changes at all.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17211 on: May 02, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »

Some background on the leaking process.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1123901819644719104

Given we are talking about Gavin Williamson, you really can't rule out that he just rang the Telegraph journo up with the gossip.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17212 on: May 02, 2019, 04:10:54 PM »

We once had a caravan with a leak in the cabinet.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17213 on: May 03, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »

I am quite surprised at the strength of the Lib Dem surge last night, and good to see some independents and greens giving the incumbents a kicking.   It isn't much of a surprise to see the conservatives getting hammered at times like this, but Labour managing to lose seats at the same time doesn't bode well for them.  They should be peaking between general elections, not dropping.  UKIP have got a trouncing too, whilst it is pretty sad that For Britain won a seat, it is good to see the lurch to the far right wasn't succesful. 

I was ready to vote, but didn't get the chance.  That makes me a bit like honest Boris, but only a tiny bit...  https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-deletes-tweet-saying-14986882

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17214 on: May 03, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »

I am quite surprised at the strength of the Lib Dem surge last night, and good to see some independents and greens giving the incumbents a kicking.   It isn't much of a surprise to see the conservatives getting hammered at times like this, but Labour managing to lose seats at the same time doesn't bode well for them.  They should be peaking between general elections, not dropping.  UKIP have got a trouncing too, whilst it is pretty sad that For Britain won a seat, it is good to see the lurch to the far right wasn't succesful. 

I was ready to vote, but didn't get the chance.  That makes me a bit like honest Boris, but only a tiny bit...  https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-deletes-tweet-saying-14986882

Once again, the electorate refused to do what the Corbynistas wanted, so we'll wait to see whether its the fault of the Mainstream Media, anti-Corbyn conspiracy theorists pushing an anti-semitism agenda, the PLP, or even the newly defined "ultra-Remainers" (credit: Owen Jones).  It's safe to say it won't be the fault of the Labour Party leadership or their policies, at least in the eyes of the Labour Party leadership.

Quite pleased to see that my Lib Dem vote was in a ward where they gained a seat from Labour.  Nice to get a positive result in the direction that I voted.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #17215 on: May 03, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »

Leicester City council is now 53 Labour, 1 Lib Dem, the one Tory there was has been beaten.

Any big councils that are 100% one party states?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17216 on: May 03, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »

In historical terms the LD vote is still pretty small, they've done way better in the past. Greens still barely any traction. UKIP were tiny, relatively speaking anyway and didn't contest many seats.

Significant surge of the independents most striking thing I think - wonder who all those people are - this could take me a while

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17217 on: May 03, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »

Leicester City council is now 53 Labour, 1 Lib Dem, the one Tory there was has been beaten.

Any big councils that are 100% one party states?

That's pretty amazing

sola virtus nobilitat
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #17218 on: May 03, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »

That's pretty amazing

Found an interesting link: https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/campaigns/local-democracy/

3 London boroughs are 100% Labour, East Hertfordshire is 100% Tory, the latter with less than 50% of the total votes cast.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #17219 on: May 03, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »

Sandwell in West Midlands has 72 councillors all Labour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cdyemzd76ert/sandwell-metropolitan-borough-council
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:11:53 PM by redsimon » Logged

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Pages: 1 ... 1144 1145 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 1151 1152 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: