blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1443 1444 1445 1446 [1447] 1448 1449 1450 1451 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2190941 times)
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21690 on: October 24, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »

if "maturity" (whatever that means) means you need to be 25 years old to vote, how about we disenfranchise those with dementia and similar illnesses, Daily Mail readers and anyone else who can reasonably said not to be of sound mind. How about an IQ test before being allowed to vote? Menstruating women are out because they could be hysterical and can't be said to be 'mature' enough.

The only reason people don't want to enfranchise the young is because they think they'll vote the 'wrong' way. Take that argument to its limit and then ad absurdium and you come up with something like the above.

Ridiculous. If you're taxable, you should be represented. Simple as that.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21691 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25:59 AM »

if "maturity" (whatever that means) means you need to be 25 years old to vote, how about we disenfranchise those with dementia and similar illnesses, Daily Mail readers and anyone else who can reasonably said not to be of sound mind. How about an IQ test before being allowed to vote? Menstruating women are out because they could be hysterical and can't be said to be 'mature' enough.

The only reason people don't want to enfranchise the young is because they think they'll vote the 'wrong' way. Take that argument to its limit and then ad absurdium and you come up with something like the above.

You're taxable as soon as you're born. You're just much less likely to earn enough to be taxed.

Most of what you say is obviously absurd but in general - yes, I thnk it would be entirely sensible to have a qualification to vote rather than an automatic assumption of one.

In terms of 16 year olds - the vast majority of 16 year olds have been shown in surveys to wildly underestimate the cost of everything they will need for university and everything they will have to do for it. If they can't work out the implications of looking after themselves why would you think they were capable of understanding the implications of what it would take to look after the country?

(obviously there are individuals who are smart and mature - we're looking at the group as a whole)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21692 on: October 24, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »

You're taxable as soon as you're born. You're just much less likely to earn enough to be taxed.

Most of what you say is obviously absurd but in general - yes, I thnk it would be entirely sensible to have a qualification to vote rather than an automatic assumption of one.

In terms of 16 year olds - the vast majority of 16 year olds have been shown in surveys to wildly underestimate the cost of everything they will need for university and everything they will have to do for it. If they can't work out the implications of looking after themselves why would you think they were capable of understanding the implications of what it would take to look after the country?

(obviously there are individuals who are smart and mature - we're looking at the group as a whole)

But the general population overestimate crime, proportion of muslims, refuge benefits, immigrants in housing etc. 

How can we expect them to understand the implications of Brexit? 

I think the vast majority of the population will significantly underestimare the cost of providing a pension too, and how many soon to be parents understand the costs of their bundle of joy, so I am not sure that 16 year olds are on their own on understimating the cost of future decisions.

I don't think we should disallow voting for ignorant people, so am not convinced that ignorance of various issues is valid to use against 16 year olds.  I am sure that a lot of younger people are less ignorant on the environment and have more balanced views on immigration for instance.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21693 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:03 AM »

This is an eye opening read

"Battle raging between Dominic Cummings, other senior Number 10 advisers, ministers and MPs over whether to push for an election or try to bring their Brexit Bill back again"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/boris-johnson-top-team-war-election

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21694 on: October 24, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »

"Battle raging between Dominic Cummings, other senior Number 10 advisers, ministers and MPs over whether to push for an election or try to bring their Brexit Bill back again"

I liked the bit where the plan backfired due to Corbyn not backing an election, which they assumed he'd never do.  Undone by the unwitting tactical genius of JC.

The most revealing part, for me, is that the worst case scenario for No10 is a 2nd referendum, because they fear this is how Brexit will be lost.  No-one can be certain of this, because you can't assume the outcome, yet there policy is based an an underlying assumption that they would lose (backed by all the recent polling on this).

It puts us in the rather absurd situation of the most logical solution to the Brexit stalemate, a 2nd Ref, being strategically avoided at all cost by a party intent on delivering hard Brexit based on 'the will of the people', because they expect the 'will of the people' would be to stop Brexit, if tested.

A GE, on the other hand, muddies the water so that pretty much anything can be interpreted from the outcome (as Theresa May did in 2017).

It looks like we're diving headlong into the GE now, which is ultimately playing into BoJo and Cummings' hands.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21695 on: October 24, 2019, 11:30:47 AM »

definitely show your working for the absolutely absurd claim that 16 year olds can't look after themselves or understand the consequences of decisions any less than the majority of the population. Most people in the UK have absolutely no clue about immigration, crime and most other things.

I couldn't manage Newcastle United, does that make my opinion that Rafa Benitez is a better manager than Steve Bruce any less valid? It is sensible to have some restrictions on who can be an MP (the coach), but not the voter (the fan). Similarly, i couldn't run the NHS at 16 or 30 but I can tell you who I don't want in charge of it at either age.

what kind of qualification would you propose? because I think it's very likely that I'd propose that people who thought that you needed in any way to be qualified to vote should immediately be excluded from doing so.

additionally, with an aging population, older voters are overrepresented with the direct consequence that there is a moral hazard for long term planning. Governments are encouraged by the ballot box to be short-termists. Absolutely no chance of dealing with e.g. climate change with that kind of thinking.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21696 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:06 AM »

I liked the bit where the plan backfired due to Corbyn not backing an election, which they assumed he'd never do.  Undone by the unwitting tactical genius of JC.

The most revealing part, for me, is that the worst case scenario for No10 is a 2nd referendum, because they fear this is how Brexit will be lost.  No-one can be certain of this, because you can't assume the outcome, yet there policy is based an an underlying assumption that they would lose (backed by all the recent polling on this).

It puts us in the rather absurd situation of the most logical solution to the Brexit stalemate, a 2nd Ref, being strategically avoided at all cost by a party intent on delivering hard Brexit based on 'the will of the people', because they expect the 'will of the people' would be to stop Brexit, if tested.

A GE, on the other hand, muddies the water so that pretty much anything can be interpreted from the outcome (as Theresa May did in 2017).

It looks like we're diving headlong into the GE now, which is ultimately playing into BoJo and Cummings' hands.

I saw some wag asking why they bothered with anyone other than Cummimgs and Milne at the meeting. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21697 on: October 24, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

definitely show your working for the absolutely absurd claim that 16 year olds can't look after themselves or understand the consequences of decisions any less than the majority of the population. Most people in the UK have absolutely no clue about immigration, crime and most other things.

I couldn't manage Newcastle United, does that make my opinion that Rafa Benitez is a better manager than Steve Bruce any less valid? It is sensible to have some restrictions on who can be an MP (the coach), but not the voter (the fan). Similarly, i couldn't run the NHS at 16 or 30 but I can tell you who I don't want in charge of it at either age.

what kind of qualification would you propose? because I think it's very likely that I'd propose that people who thought that you needed in any way to be qualified to vote should immediately be excluded from doing so.

additionally, with an aging population, older voters are overrepresented with the direct consequence that there is a moral hazard for long term planning. Governments are encouraged by the ballot box to be short-termists. Absolutely no chance of dealing with e.g. climate change with that kind of thinking.

To Jon's point. A 14 year old earning in excess of the personal allowance would pay income tax so should they have a vote? Easy to agree that just becoming 18 doesn't automatically  make you less callow or impressionable but there's a chance. I think you're right that the main reason I don't like the idea is that they will vote the wrong way but I think that's exactly the same rationale that proponents would have except of course the belief would be they vote the right way.

To me it's instructive that the voices are loud on this right now because the left and the SNP cannot be sure of securing positive outcomes in a UK GE or any of the various referendums they want. its easy to advocate for this now to try and improve chances rather than out of any solid rationale for a change at this time

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21698 on: October 24, 2019, 12:34:05 PM »

A better way forward would be to let Grandparents proxy vote for their Grandchildren

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #21699 on: October 24, 2019, 12:42:21 PM »

Taking your argument to the limit and ad absurdism we give the vote to babies...

I’m sure we agree that there is an age, below which people aren’t ready to vote. Is your line firmly drawn at 16?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21700 on: October 24, 2019, 12:45:05 PM »

A better way forward would be to let Grandparents proxy vote for their Grandchildren

like grandparents were such stewards of the environment for their grandchildren?

I'm being glib and deliberately obtuse, but the point is that this idea would just double down the vote for older people and disenfranchise even more people (those without children, grandchildren) by making their votes worth less. Unless you're seriously envisaging a world where all grandparents are well-intended grandparents and would vote one way for themselves and another way for their grandchild, then you're just making a mockery of 'one man, one vote'.

and if you truly do believe that grandparents would act in that way....well, I guess that's another qualifying criteria to remove the vote from the over-how-ever-old-you-are Wink
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21701 on: October 24, 2019, 12:45:48 PM »

Taking your argument to the limit and ad absurdism we give the vote to babies...

I’m sure we agree that there is an age, below which people aren’t ready to vote. Is your line firmly drawn at 16?

Only rich babies though.

And logically withdraw the vote from the retired and unemployed.

No more votes for stay at home mums (or dads) obviously.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21702 on: October 24, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »

like grandparents were such stewards of the environment for their grandchildren?

I'm being glib and deliberately obtuse, but the point is that this idea would just double down the vote for older people and disenfranchise even more people (those without children, grandchildren) by making their votes worth less. Unless you're seriously envisaging a world where all grandparents are well-intended grandparents and would vote one way for themselves and another way for their grandchild, then you're just making a mockery of 'one man, one vote'.

and if you truly do believe that grandparents would act in that way....well, I guess that's another qualifying criteria to remove the vote from the over-how-ever-old-you-are Wink

I like the last line. I'm not sure I can be relied on to vote sensibly on anything Smiley but slightly more likely to than when I was 16

sola virtus nobilitat
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21703 on: October 24, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »

my line would be broadly similar to the well established principle in the law surrounding medial procedures, Gillick competence.
It doesn't have to be 16, it could be 14, or 10, or whatever.

And I do believe that if politicians were forced to engage with younger votes (because they vote) then they'd have more competence.

fwiw, the conservatives allow those members 15 and older to vote in their leadership elections.  but they won't allow the general public to do so. I wonder why that is.... :rolleyes:
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21704 on: October 24, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »

I want us to leave but don't feel specially attached to this month though I understand it was necessary to push this date hard. Shirley though, it makes sense to give say 3 weeks for an attempt at getting the WAB through and then push for an election if we're still at stalemate. It would look like all legit attempts had been made and leave a GE as the only way forward.

Assume the biggest fear on the Govt side is that a stalemate would end up garnering nmore support in parl for a ref than a GE

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1443 1444 1445 1446 [1447] 1448 1449 1450 1451 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: