blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 519 520 521 522 [523] 524 525 526 527 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191581 times)
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7830 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »

But all would support an equal age of consent for straight and gay kids, all would support equal rights at work for women, all would be against the death penalty etc etc

Most (or at least many) conservatives I know also support all three of those things.

i have voted conservative all my adult life and believe in all three things above

won't be voting conservative this time though

Very interesting Rich , Id be interested to know why ?

I feel conflicted for sure because I will be voting Conservative on the 8th of June but only to make Brexit happen

Historically Sheffield is a Labour strong hold apart from the ward that I am from ( Sheffield Hallam) It has always been a Tory stronghold  but of course in 2005 Nick Clegg won the seat for the Lib Dems hence my voting history has been chequered to say the least.

Im aware some people dont want to stay out of the EU but I do , I was asking the question yesterday  

" do people now feel forced to vote Tory in June to activate Brexit and come out of The EU ? "
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: April 19, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »

It's terrible when somebody plays a game and plays it so well they win. Especially when they press home an advantage to achieve their objectives. Especially when that person isn't you. It's like when somebody has all the chips and keeps raising. It's so unfair. Brexit not fair, Scottish independence not fair, labour demise not fair, early election not fair, having no chips and facing another raise not fair.

I would say it was admirable if she didn't have the cheek to call those far weaker in the game playing aspect out. Even people in this thread can see she's apparently backed the opposition leader into a corner because he has to pretend at all times he is ready to step up to the plate.

It reminds me a lot of the people so desperate for Brexit to go through that they are terrified of a second referendum  because that would go against the will of the people lol. Just like how they wanted more independence (the correct word is escaping me, sovereignty?) for Britain before going off on the house of lords as soon as they don't vote their way.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7832 on: April 19, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »

But all would support an equal age of consent for straight and gay kids, all would support equal rights at work for women, all would be against the death penalty etc etc

Most (or at least many) conservatives I know also support all three of those things.

i have voted conservative all my adult life and believe in all three things above

I feel conflicted for sure because I will be voting Conservative on the 8th of June but only to make Brexit happen

Historically Sheffield is a Labour strong hold apart from the ward that I am from ( Sheffield Hallam) It has always been a Tory stronghold  but of course in 2005 Nick Clegg won the seat for the Lib Dems hence my voting history has been chequered to say the least.

Im aware some people dont want to stay out of the EU but I do , I was asking the question yesterday  

" do people now feel forced to vote Tory in June to activate Brexit and come out of The EU ? "

I suspect your inclination is right Fraser me old mucker. I think everyone who voted leave, apart from die hard Labour folks, will vote Tory, including UKIP. I actually think UKIP are finished after this election for that reason.

This is how my constituency Sheffield Heeley voted last time. I think that, amazingly, Conservatives might win here based on my theory above, even though I live in a very Kale eating latte sipping hipster area. Sheffield voted to leave the EU, I suspect the Tory and UKIP voters will vote Tory, with a reasonable bunch of Labour voters doing it through gritted teeth, and another bunch lost to Lib Dems.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: April 19, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »

Historically Sheffield is a Labour strong hold apart from the ward that I am from ( Sheffield Hallam) It has always been a Tory stronghold  but of course in 2005 Nick Clegg won the seat for the Lib Dems hence my voting history has been chequered to say the least.

i'm very pro-remain.don't support a second referendum, and haven't moaned about it too much (probaby a matter of opinion). i am especially anti hard brexit. don't need to rehash all the reasons for and against.

anyway if i am pro-remain how can i vote conservative? impossible. don't agree with some LD stuff, can't vote for corbyn (might i suppose have been tempted by a centrist labour party i suppose but this one? forget it)

think there are quite a few one nation/centrist conservatives in my position actually and expect big swings in LD/Con marginals (that voted remain) away from the government

thats not as important as ex UKIP voters swinging the much greater number of lab/con marginals away from labour by going ukip to con though but i do expect problems for May in areaslike the south west

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: April 19, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »

many of us know andy ward? "get it quietly"?

this made me chuckle

he says

I know populists love to say "all politicians are terrible", but let's take an objective look at the runners and riders for this GE..

- Govt dead set on leaving our biggest market to sell jam to New Zealand, salivating at prospect of razing workers rights from the ground up

- Labour run by a completely delusional student union cabal,

- Liberals led by a christian anti-abortionist who won't say being gay is OK..

- A Green party who think "treating" sick people with sugar pills and water is fine.

- A bunch of mad old twats who want to go back to 4 pints at the golf club and driving back to the office to slap your secretary's arse.
Most of whom are absolutely fine with an insane voting system that absolutely screws them.

lol!

My eyes are open wide
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: April 19, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »

I suspect your inclination is right Fraser me old mucker. I think everyone who voted leave, apart from die hard Labour folks, will vote Tory, including UKIP. I actually think UKIP are finished after this election for that reason.

This is how my constituency Sheffield Heeley voted last time. I think that, amazingly, Conservatives might win here based on my theory above, even though I live in a very Kale eating latte sipping hipster area. Sheffield voted to leave the EU, I suspect the Tory and UKIP voters will vote Tory, with a reasonable bunch of Labour voters doing it through gritted teeth, and another bunch lost to Lib Dems.

Yo Mate

Lol@ kale eating latte sipping 😅
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: April 19, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »

Historically Sheffield is a Labour strong hold apart from the ward that I am from ( Sheffield Hallam) It has always been a Tory stronghold  but of course in 2005 Nick Clegg won the seat for the Lib Dems hence my voting history has been chequered to say the least.

i'm very pro-remain.don't support a second referendum, and haven't moaned about it too much (probaby a matter of opinion). i am especially anti hard brexit. don't need to rehash all the reasons for and against.

anyway if i am pro-remain how can i vote conservative? impossible. don't agree with some LD stuff, can't vote for corbyn (might i suppose have been tempted by a centrist labour party i suppose but this one? forget it)

think there are quite a few one nation/centrist conservatives in my position actually and expect big swings in LD/Con marginals (that voted remain) away from the government

thats not as important as ex UKIP voters swinging the much greater number of lab/con marginals away from labour by going ukip to con though but i do expect problems for May in areaslike the south west

Good Answers Rich

So fucking ridiculous that people are compromised on which party to vote (or abstain) merely to ensure their Brexit opinion is heard
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7837 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

By all accounts John McDonnell has just said on BBC radio salary caps will be in the Labour manifesto for the election campaign.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »

Yo Mate

Lol@ kale eating latte sipping 😅

Made me smile, sounds like Nether Edge or at a push certain parts of Meersbrook.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7839 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »

at a push certain parts of Meersbrook.

BING! That's where I live.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »

It's terrible when somebody plays a game and plays it so well they win. Especially when they press home an advantage to achieve their objectives. Especially when that person isn't you. It's like when somebody has all the chips and keeps raising. It's so unfair. Brexit not fair, Scottish independence not fair, labour demise not fair, early election not fair, having no chips and facing another raise not fair.

I would say it was admirable if she didn't have the cheek to call those far weaker in the game playing aspect out. Even people in this thread can see she's apparently backed the opposition leader into a corner because he has to pretend at all times he is ready to step up to the plate.

It reminds me a lot of the people so desperate for Brexit to go through that they are terrified of a second referendum  because that would go against the will of the people lol. Just like how they wanted more independence (the correct word is escaping me, sovereignty?) for Britain before going off on the house of lords as soon as they don't vote their way.

I think she was genuine when she said she didn't want to have an early election. In a sense she's also been pushed into a corner by all her opponents repeating the mantra that she has no mandate..even though we don't ever vote for a PM.

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: April 19, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »

I think she was genuine when she said she didn't want to have an early election. In a sense she's also been pushed into a corner by all her opponents repeating the mantra that she has no mandate..even though we don't ever vote for a PM.

There would be moaning whatever she did, she can't win with people who are anti Tory or Brexit.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: April 19, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »

It reminds me a lot of the people so desperate for Brexit to go through that they are terrified of a second referendum  because that would go against the will of the people lol. Just like how they wanted more independence (the correct word is escaping me, sovereignty?) for Britain before going off on the house of lords as soon as they don't vote their way.

Good point and it does make sense going into the negotiations. How accurate is Andy ward's post?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/16095906

Not a big believer in Huff but seemed like a well timed addition. Media panning opposition unfairly again?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/05/20/interview-tim-farron-addresses-anti-gay-voting-record-and-calls-for-church-of-england-to-be-disestablished/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:36:05 PM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: April 19, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »

It reminds me a lot of the people so desperate for Brexit to go through that they are terrified of a second referendum  because that would go against the will of the people lol. Just like how they wanted more independence (the correct word is escaping me, sovereignty?) for Britain before going off on the house of lords as soon as they don't vote their way.

Good point and it does make sense going into the negotiations. How accurate is Andy ward's post?

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/16095906

Not a big believer in Huff but seemed like a well timed addition. Media panning opposition unfairly again?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/05/20/interview-tim-farron-addresses-anti-gay-voting-record-and-calls-for-church-of-england-to-be-disestablished/

I'm pretty sure if these articles were written about Theresa May you would be blasting into her....
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: April 19, 2017, 01:45:37 PM »

Opening GE2017 spread-betting midpoints from IG Index

CON – 370 Net +40
LAB – 177 -53
LDs – 34+25
SNP 50
UKIP – 1 seat

My eyes are open wide