blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:26:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272602 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197375 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: February 22, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »

I think Boris has just blown whatever chance he had of ever becoming PM. Everyone believes that he has put himself before the country. Pritti Patel is a dangerous extremist and all-round nasty piece of work, but I don't doubt that she sincerely believes in Brexit. No-one believes the same of Boris and his position has gone down really badly centrally. Cameron has just given him a kicking in the Commons, not bothering to wrap it in nice words, saying that he (Cameron) is not standing for re-election, he has put the country first, doesn't have any other agenda, etc. Boris can now look forward to the opposition and the media thrashing him at every opportunity for putting the country second. Every interview will drag it up. It would be suicidal for any party go into an election led by someone who is regarded as not having principles.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1951 on: February 22, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »

Pritti Patel is a dangerous extremist and all-round nasty piece of work

How so? You're not the first person to say that, what's up with her? (Just post the cliffs, no need to find links or owt, just wondering)

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: February 22, 2016, 05:46:56 PM »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton

Round One to Cameron - my take on his savaging of Boris in the Commons http://bit.ly/1QVyKdt

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1953 on: February 22, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »

I think Boris has just blown whatever chance he had of ever becoming PM. Everyone believes that he has put himself before the country. Pritti Patel is a dangerous extremist and all-round nasty piece of work, but I don't doubt that she sincerely believes in Brexit. No-one believes the same of Boris and his position has gone down really badly centrally. Cameron has just given him a kicking in the Commons, not bothering to wrap it in nice words, saying that he (Cameron) is not standing for re-election, he has put the country first, doesn't have any other agenda, etc. Boris can now look forward to the opposition and the media thrashing him at every opportunity for putting the country second. Every interview will drag it up. It would be suicidal for any party go into an election led by someone who is regarded as not having principles.

Hmmm, a leadership candidate who is accused by party bigwigs of saying things he doesn't believe in purely to advance his cause with the grassroots base of his party and the wider public in order to lead the party.

Did we merge the US presidential thread in with this one as well?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 22, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »

How so? You're not the first person to say that, what's up with her? (Just post the cliffs, no need to find links or owt, just wondering)

"Priti Patel, 43, Conservative Member of Parliament for Witham, is widely believed to be a human being, but ask it the time of day, for directions to the nearest post office or to multiply two by two and you’ll find it has only been programmed with a single answer: “Jeremy Corbyn is a threat to our national security, to the economy and to hard working families up and down the country.”

In the 24 hours that followed Mr Corbyn’s Labour leadership election victory in September, analysts estimate Ms Patel said these words more than 10,000 times on a confirmed 744 media outlets, including the Daily Politics, Gardeners Question Time and, controversially, the Shipping Forecast on BBC long wave radio."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/priti-patel-profile-tory-robot-poised-for-anti-eu-reboot-a6885531.html

not a dangerous extremist imo, but from the right wing of the tory party
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:51:05 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 22, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »

Read the wall of text from Woodsey and thought he had actually written and researched something meaningful for a change.

Saw there for no emoticons and realised it couldn't have been him

Actually reading the first line might have helped, did you get that far? lol

Too good Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 22, 2016, 05:54:37 PM »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton

As with Blair and Brown, the real battle is now within the governing party: Cameron vs. Boris http://bit.ly/1QVyKdt

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 22, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

"Priti Patel, 43, Conservative Member of Parliament for Witham, is widely believed to be a human being, but ask it the time of day, for directions to the nearest post office or to multiply two by two and you’ll find it has only been programmed with a single answer: “Jeremy Corbyn is a threat to our national security, to the economy and to hard working families up and down the country.”

In the 24 hours that followed Mr Corbyn’s Labour leadership election victory in September, analysts estimate Ms Patel said these words more than 10,000 times on a confirmed 744 media outlets, including the Daily Politics, Gardeners Question Time and, controversially, the Shipping Forecast on BBC long wave radio."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/priti-patel-profile-tory-robot-poised-for-anti-eu-reboot-a6885531.html

You dont have to dig hard to find some unpleasant stuff, starting with her Wiki page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priti_Patel
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: February 22, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »

Not that I like politicians repeating themselves but 10,000 times in 24 hours?  She would have to repeat it at great speed without breaks and without sleeping to get close.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »

nothing particularly unpleasant there, probably the PRfor the tobacco industry the most unsavoury thing and certainly not extremist

we can try the ant-semitism in the far left for real extremism if you like?

there are loonies on the far right and on the far left, wouldnt have Mrs Patel in that extreme a category though

grammar school girl of immigrant parents, red brick universities, record in commerce, worked her way up as an MP

reasonably conventional self made stuff.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 22, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »

Not that I like politicians repeating themselves but 10,000 times in 24 hours?  She would have to repeat it at great speed without breaks and without sleeping to get close.

in tone the article exaggerates for comic effect. and very nicely written it is too

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: February 22, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »

A general point isn't a party being split on this issue a good thing for democracy in a referendum?  If labour and tories all agreed that staying in was for the best then it would just be Farage shouting like a maniac.  I think hearing both sides from the Tories is a good thing because they aren't just following the party line.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 22, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »

a real zinger of a heckle

stopped the person speaking in his tracks, it was that good

My eyes are open wide
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1963 on: February 22, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »

A general point isn't a party being split on this issue a good thing for democracy in a referendum?  If labour and tories all agreed that staying in was for the best then it would just be Farage shouting like a maniac.  I think hearing both sides from the Tories is a good thing because they aren't just following the party line.

This.

Don't buy all the 'Boris is risking his career' or the 'Cameron has to quit if he loses' stuff. This isn't a partisan issue and it's not a black and white issue.

I think Cameron can (rightfully) reframe a loss him bringing a great moment of democracy to the country. Just like everyone had respect for Alex Salmond for encouraging so many people to vote in the Scotland exit voting even though his particular outcome lost.

I find it all quite exciting, this is an issue I do not have a huge in built bias on, so I don't know how I'll vote and am quite keen to learn more.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 22, 2016, 06:15:11 PM »

First thing - there are deals with the rest of the world that have to be agreed, not just the EU.

The EU will still want to trade with us of course, but on their terms and that means following single market rules.  Otherwise it will be bureaucratic trade barriers of various kinds which are more damaging than tariffs.

On the financial side, the French in particular will be pushing to keep the city out of Europe and any Euro markets in particular.

I don't in the least disagree that trade deals can be concluded at some point, but the issue should be addressed by the out camp, with an assessment of the position and a realistic timetable (not least because it will be of huge concern to business and those considering investment).  I doubt this will happen of course because they probably won't acknowledge any serious problems with leaving.  

So the "herd of elephants" in the room, isn't really a herd of elephants in the room at all.

It would clearly be a short term pain in the backside but the reality is other countries will be keen to trade with the 5th biggest economy in the world ( I think I've heard that quoted regularly), especially as we import much more than we export (our monthly imports exceed what we export typically by £5 billion value per month).

Edit : Monthly overall imports average around £10 billion per month more than exports not £5 billion.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:38:10 PM by RickBFA » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: