blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:26:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2196622 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: May 30, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »

Maybe it's a regional bias.  Very little reporting of it in Scotland.  Although, I'd think it quite important issue. 
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »

Maybe it's a regional bias.  Very little reporting of it in Scotland.  Although, I'd think it quite important issue.  

When you say electoral fraud - it sounds very important. But it also brings to mind people stuffing ballot boxes full of dead peoples votes or party activists at the door with guns turning people away. From what I've read this issue could pretty much be classified as an admin error. And as Tighty suggested if you analysed every campaign as much as they analysed the Conservatives you would inevitably bring to light a lot more cases.

Don't get me wrong, they've broken the rules and should be punished - but I'd have thought a fine is the most likely, and the most proportionate, response.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: May 30, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »

http://www.channel4.com/news/election-expenses-exposed

I think its more than just an admin error, though what sanctions they will incur will be interesting after the Fiona Jones case was thrown out on Appeal? Funny how your memory plays tricks I always thought she got kicked out, sad post script to it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_Jones

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 30, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »

some of it is clearly more wilful than admin errors

the key to it is what you are allowed to spend per constituency, and in a number of cases clearly local spending has been pushed into national budgets

couple of the high profile cases are south thanet, where the tories spent fortunes to keep farage out and looks like they fiddled it.

and the eddie izzard battle bus, where he was shipped round lots of constituencies, yet the 10 labour associations concerned weren't declaring any costs of the day and the rules state that the cost of the bus/celb etc has to be apportioned locally

what the punishment is, not sure   

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2569 on: May 30, 2016, 06:16:32 PM »

I don't understand the crime committed in this case - is the law trying to punish the inability of an MP to obey the power of red tape, because this law seems to be telling prospective MPs that their first job is to be able to fill out forms and know obscure election law - knowing issues etc is less important.

The law is not punishing the use of volunteers in the marginal constituencies, but that they were staying in a hotel rather than being bused home. This cannot be good law.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: May 30, 2016, 10:38:56 PM »

Just had a look at the odds on this, just to get a vague idea of which way this is likely to go. I wouldn't claim to have an extensive political knowledge, but I like to attempt to keep my head out of the sand to some extent. I'm surprised to see that leave is so far behind (4/1), as it seemed like a lot of things i've seen on social media, bits of news i've seen etc. would point to a fairly close contest. Has the margin been this wide throughout the build-up to the referendum?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: May 30, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »

Just had a look at the odds on this, just to get a vague idea of which way this is likely to go. I wouldn't claim to have an extensive political knowledge, but I like to attempt to keep my head out of the sand to some extent. I'm surprised to see that leave is so far behind (4/1), as it seemed like a lot of things i've seen on social media, bits of news i've seen etc. would point to a fairly close contest. Has the margin been this wide throughout the build-up to the referendum?

Leave types always shout louder than the risk averse types.  Just the same in the  yes/no vote in Scotland.  The silent risk averse types will just turn up quietly and vote.  Old people don't use social media.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: May 30, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »

Leave types always shout louder than the risk averse types.  Just the same in the  yes/no vote in Scotland.  The silent risk averse types will just turn up quietly and vote.  Old people don't use social media.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »

Just 24 days left but leaked memo warns only 50% of Labour voters realise the party opposes Brexit http://gu.com/p/4jqgm/stw 

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: June 01, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »

Why is there so little noise about the Tory election fraud claims?

Whether it’s media outlets’ reluctance to take up a rival’s story or Corbyn’s refusal to play hardball, very little fuss has been made about the allegations

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/01/channel-4-leads-the-way-on-tory-election-claims?CMP=share_btn_tw

My eyes are open wide
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: June 01, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »

Whether it’s media outlets’ reluctance to take up a rival’s story or Corbyn’s refusal to play hardball, very little fuss has been made about the allegations

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/01/channel-4-leads-the-way-on-tory-election-claims?CMP=share_btn_tw

There's a very short time to take the claims to court should they wish to.

I think it's no more than a six or twelve-month period until the option expires.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: June 01, 2016, 02:52:55 PM »

There's a very short time to take the claims to court should they wish to.

I think it's no more than a six or twelve-month period until the option expires.

The Police forces investigating have got 12 month extensions to look into the claims relating to the 2015 General election.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: June 01, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »

this takes the odds back a few months

its closed in a bit in recent weeks but has been consistently 70-80% remain according to the betting markets

My eyes are open wide
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: June 01, 2016, 10:56:42 PM »

go back a few months and it was closer.

Tighty, where did you get that graph from please?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: June 02, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »

go back a few months and it was closer.

Tighty, where did you get that graph from please?

www.politicalbetting.com

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: