blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2194551 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #3000 on: June 22, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »

breaking down every MP's EU stance by constituency

http://bit.ly/28N9mdn 

Click to see full-size image.

Why would so many have not declared an opinion?

I looked one of them up - obviously it's not always going to be the case, but it shows that some have a vaguely sensible reason for not stating their own beliefs.

...In order to help constituents, I have organised, and will be chairing, eight public debates which will be held across the constituency during June.  I believe that an MP should, in a referendum of this magnitude, be available to guide and inform.

To ensure that there is sufficient balance when I chair these public meetings and provide information, I will not be detailing my voting intentions beforehand or joining one side of the campaign or the other.

Not sure if that's just a cop out because they are in a marginal seat and don't want to upset enough people which might cost them re election Smiley

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: June 22, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »

Company is JCB

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: June 22, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

If it is a LSE company it is not JCB as that is privately owned although the Bamford family who own JCB are big leave supporters.  Must be Spoons i would imagine.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:15:43 PM by arbboy » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: June 22, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »

If it is a LSE company it is not JCB as that is privately owned.  Must be Spoons i would imagine.

I heard the Chairman of weatherspoon's the other day supporting brexit.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »

No the company was tate and lyle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36593528

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: June 22, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »

a balanced piece i think

EU referendum: five questions to answer before you vote

Look at the facts about democracy, economics, immigration, security and sovereignty – even if you have made up your mind

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/22/eu-referendum-five-questions-to-answer-before-you-vote?CMP=share_btn_fb

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-22/something-strange-emerges-when-looking-behind-brexit-bookie-odds

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »

<3 zerohedge

I think he missed something key here though when we look at the number of bets for each side. If we look at the social profiling data of remain and leave supporters, the leave supporters are much more likely to place a bet, so the percentage of leave voters that also want to place a bet on it is much larger than the percentage of remain voters that also want to place a bet.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3008 on: June 22, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »

Also, I am shocked to learn that the average size of bet on a 1/3 shot is far larger than that on something at 3/1.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: June 22, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »

<3 zerohedge

I think he missed something key here though when we look at the number of bets for each side. If we look at the social profiling data of remain and leave supporters, the leave supporters are much more likely to place a bet, so the percentage of leave voters that also want to place a bet on it is much larger than the percentage of remain voters that also want to place a bet.

I don't think there is anything in it at all.  There will always be 3 times as much money on a 1/3 chance as the 3/1 chance in the same market.  It is just the way it works for a balanced market.   Somebody is always on the other side betting 3 times as much as you on the 3/1 chance, whether it is a bookie or somebody else on betfair.  

There is also a dark hint on market manipulation, but isn't it in remains interest to present the vote as close in order to get their vote out?  If remainers think it is a foregone conclusion they are less likely to vote.    

FWIW If you can get big bets on with ladbrokes it doesn't show that you are knowledgeable.  Wink

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:28 PM »

Will Self nails it for me on Ch4News.

"Not all brexiters are racists, but all the racists will be voting for brexit".

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: June 22, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »

Two letters from the campaigns today.

Remain has 1,200 businesses, 51 of them FTSE 100, arguing Remain.

Leave have 1.

no cheating now, what is the one leading UK business putting their name to leave? (quoted LSE company, not a Dyson)

i can give clues if needed

Tate & Lyle Sugars, the ones who want to leave, aren't a FTSE (100 or 250). Tate & Lyle PLC sold them to an American company in 2010. The Sugars appear to have a beef with the EU over beet vs cane subsidies.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3012 on: June 22, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »

I agree with what he says, but the fact that somebody you don't like is voting for something so you can't makes no sense to me. You wouldn't want Labour voters to not for Remain because Cameron is also voting that way. You could make the counter argument 'Not all Remain voters are ISIS supporters, but all ISIS supporters will be voting for Remain'.

I'm leaning towards Remain, but it irks me when people are allowing ad hominem attacks and false equivalences to guide their voting, vote for the THING you agree with (obviously vote for WHO you like/against who you don't like when it comes to normal elections).

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: June 22, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »

I agree with what he says, but the fact that somebody you don't like is voting for something so you can't makes no sense to me. You wouldn't want Labour voters to not for Remain because Cameron is also voting that way. You could make the counter argument 'Not all Remain voters are ISIS supporters, but all ISIS supporters will be voting for Remain'.

I'm leaning towards Remain, but it irks me when people are allowing ad hominem attacks and false equivalences to guide their voting, vote for the THING you agree with (obviously vote for WHO you like/against who you don't like when it comes to normal elections).

Agree.  I've settled on remain and am happy with my decision.  However I find the constant reference to racism about leave voters totally repellant. Not a day goes by without it cropping up in the media or across numerous forums.  I also don't like the drip drip suggestion that all leave voters are thick and uneducated.  We don't keep banging on about demographics about general elections so why do people delight in going on about it for this referendum?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3014 on: June 22, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »

Agree.  I've settled on remain and am happy with my decision.  However I find the constant reference to racism about leave voters totally repellant. Not a day goes by without it cropping up in the media or across numerous forums.  I also don't like the drip drip suggestion that all leave voters are thick and uneducated.  We don't keep banging on about demographics about general elections so why do people delight in going on about it for this referendum?

Yep, while I am sure the most intolerant people of all (the BNP sorts) are voting leave, among my mostly left leaning social circle there has been lots of snobbery and an amazing amount if intolerance towards differences of opinion.

The leavers have been louder in my experience, but the remainers have been nastier.

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: