blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272627 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2200601 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: June 28, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »

Nick Cohen ‏@NickCohen4

Here's me from @spectator on the anti-fascist background to the Watson/Corbyn fight

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/09/will-labour-move-corbyn/

Nick Cohen, a balanced view of life.  Guy's a dick. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: June 28, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »

Brexit Voter Writes To MPs To Regret EU Referendum Result;

Minister replies: ‘Bit late mate’

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-voter-regrets-eu-referendum-result-therese-coffey-says-bit-late-mate_uk_57714985e4b0232d331e7762?edition=uk

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: June 28, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »

British Pound vs. US Dollar: -11% over the past 2 trading days, largest decline in history. 13-sigma event.

Click to see full-size image.

(In statistics and probability, the lower case Greek letter sigma is used to denote the standard deviation of a distribution, which as the name implies, is the accepted unit to measure how much an outcome can vary from its mean or average. A Wikipedia article lists the following table for the likelihood of sigma deviations for the standard normal distribution)

Fundamentally this analysis must be flawed when it lists 20 events since 1971 which have probabilities of 1 every 5,000 years, or less, according to the table.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: June 28, 2016, 11:10:48 AM »

British Pound vs. US Dollar: -11% over the past 2 trading days, largest decline in history. 13-sigma event.

Click to see full-size image.

(In statistics and probability, the lower case Greek letter sigma is used to denote the standard deviation of a distribution, which as the name implies, is the accepted unit to measure how much an outcome can vary from its mean or average. A Wikipedia article lists the following table for the likelihood of sigma deviations for the standard normal distribution)

Fundamentally this analysis must be flawed when it lists 20 events since 1971 which have probabilities of 1 every 5,000 years, or less, according to the table.

This.  The distribution of currency movements clearly isn't a normal distribution, and never was.   I'd say that Brexit was a time to throw out the models, as it was pretty clear that something like this would happen after a leave vote. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »

This.  The distribution of currency movements clearly isn't a normal distribution, and never was.   I'd say that Brexit was a time to throw out the models, as it was pretty clear that something like this would happen after a leave vote.  

Phew!  The only person I was worried about telling me I'd interpreted this completely incorrectly was Doobs.  I can rest easy for the day now Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:35:57 AM by Sheriff Fatman » Logged

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »

https://waitingfortax.com/2016/06/28/the-big-green-button-bill/

Not knowledgeable about the differing legal opinions but this does seem to make sense.

There will have to be a vote in Parliament of some sort. Then what?
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »

I've been mulling over the issue of how the pollsters got it so badly wrong - again.

Whilst they all had %'s for Leave, Remain and Undecided, none of them showed any representation of "Not Going to Vote". Surely during the polling process they would encounter a representative proportion of these people. Using usual techniques, they'd be able to profile the "NGV" group.

Perhaps someone with better/inside knowledge of polling techniques & rationale could elaborate?

Meanwhile, voter idiocy is not limited to the Leave side: this morning on 5Live I listened whilst an 18-24 from Walsall said something like this: "I voted remain because, you know - was it the Greeks? - everyone lends a hand and helps you out when you get into trouble. I mean, when we get into that spot, who's going to chip in and help US out?"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »

i needed to explain what a sigma event was, whether it was appropriate or not here. At least one pensions firm thought it was....

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: June 28, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges

It's becoming increasingly clear that Britain is not going to leave the EU. The issue now is how is to explain that to the British people.

! surely not....

My eyes are open wide
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4179 on: June 28, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »

It's becoming increasingly clear that Britain is not going to leave the EU. The issue now is how is to explain that to the British people.

! surely not....

Tighty can you make a poll ITT -- "Even though we voted for it, do you think Britain will actually leave the EU?"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: June 28, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »

I've been mulling over the issue of how the pollsters got it so badly wrong - again.

Whilst they all had %'s for Leave, Remain and Undecided, none of them showed any representation of "Not Going to Vote". Surely during the polling process they would encounter a representative proportion of these people. Using usual techniques, they'd be able to profile the "NGV" group.

Perhaps someone with better/inside knowledge of polling techniques & rationale could elaborate?

Meanwhile, voter idiocy is not limited to the Leave side: this morning on 5Live I listened whilst an 18-24 from Walsall said something like this: "I voted remain because, you know - was it the Greeks? - everyone lends a hand and helps you out when you get into trouble. I mean, when we get into that spot, who's going to chip in and help US out?"

i think they all had not going to vote representation, it ran at 4-5% through the polling. very understated particularly among younger people...but its typically much tougher to poll younger people as a) they are not politically engaged as much b) no landlines for telephone polling

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »

anyone watching Farage v Juncker in the European parliament on the news channels?

whatever your personal opinion, its remarkable stuff. absolutely toxic

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 28, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »

Harry Wilson ‏@harrynwilson

Sobering numbers from Lord Price, minister trade + investment. EU has 550 trade negotiators. The US 500. UK about 12-20. #TimesCEOsummit

Ed Conway
‏@EdConwaySky

Rupert Murdoch: if [Boris] backtracks on serious things there’ll be another bloody revolt #TimesCeoSummit

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: June 28, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »

! surely not....

Tighty can you make a poll ITT -- "Even though we voted for it, do you think Britain will actually leave the EU?"

would probably leave this thread alone

can do it on another thread though by all means.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: June 28, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

he doesn't give a fuck, got some front (and speaks for a lot of people, too)

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: