blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191866 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: August 05, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »

Unbelievable that anyone would question the nomination of Shami Chakrabarti to the Lords. It's hard to think of anyone more deserving or who is likely to use the position to make a greater contribution. People criticising it and, in particular, opportunists questioning her intregrity should be ashamed.

Nonsense. Corbyn pledged not to nominate anyone for the lords and broke the pledge in short order. the anti-semitism enquiry was a clear whitewash (mention of anti semitism was even booed at the hustings last night, not a good look) and this is Chakrabati's reward for playing ball

of course longer term she is deserving but at this particular point it stinks. by the way she's now being nominated by all three major parties, but accepted it this time
this is not to defend Cameron's exit honours either, the sort of thing that gives the establishment a bad name and drives votes to ukip, snp etc

Nonsense. Your evidence that it was a 'whitewash', other than the usual noise from very vocal Jewish reps? To question Chakrabarti, of all people, is a disgrace. She is by far the most honourable and deserving of the nominees. Work your way through all of Cameron's nominees first.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: August 05, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

I am not defending cameron's

look at what corbyn said about nominations, then look at what he did. complete charlatan

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: August 05, 2016, 11:19:54 PM »

Heard a radio interview today about the gloomy projections.

The guy interviewed was super positive in his outlook and was bemoaning the constant negativity, especially in press/social media/TV.

His basic point was that in a consumer led economy if we are constantly told the outlook is negative that's what we'll get.

When consumers think there are bad times forecast they reign in spending and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

breathtaking

I didn't say it was my opinion.

It was an interview about the effects of public confidence in a consumer led economy.

I remember Mint's economic guru, the owner of his local curry house telling him no one was buying curry because they were worried about Brexit?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:27:09 PM by RickBFA » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: August 05, 2016, 11:55:15 PM »

The guy interviewed was super positive in his outlook and was bemoaning the constant negativity, especially in press/social media/TV.

His basic point was that in a consumer led economy if we are constantly told the outlook is negative that's what we'll get.

When consumers think there are bad times forecast they reign in spending and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

breathtaking

It was an interview about the effects of public confidence in a consumer led economy.

I remember Mint's economic guru, the owner of his local curry house telling him no one was buying curry because they were worried about Brexit?

and everybody thought that was breathtaking too...  and at least it was an outlier on the remain side.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: August 06, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »

There's no recession coming  !
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: August 06, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »

There's no recession coming  !

really? not that experts count these days but the consensus forecast is for a recession in Q1 2017

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: August 06, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »

Patrick Collins in the times

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: August 06, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »

Tory already planning for a 2017 election

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/08/04/labs-leadership-weakness-and-another-double-digit-tory-lead-will-increase-the-clamour-for-an-early-election/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: August 06, 2016, 09:26:33 AM »

Shami Chakrabarti peerage nomination 'not great timing for Labour' http://bit.ly/2aDBr8V

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: August 06, 2016, 11:39:44 AM »

breathtaking

and everybody thought that was breathtaking too...  and at least it was an outlier on the remain side.

No one in their right mind thinks Brexit won't cause shock waves in the economy.

The point the guy was making (whether you agree or not) is that when Joe Public is told "we are in the shit" day in day out (on top of the scare tactics prior to the vote), their natural instinct is to be more cautious.

When the public are confident, they borrow and spend. When they are not they cut spending and save.

The mindset of the consumer will have an additional impact which may make the recession deeper - that's his argument.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »

breathtaking

No one in their right mind thinks Brexit won't cause shock waves in the economy.

The point the guy was making (whether you agree or not) is that when Joe Public is told "we are in the shit" day in day out (on top of the scare tactics prior to the vote), their natural instinct is to be more cautious.

When the public are confident, they borrow and spend. When they are not they cut spending and save.

The mindset of the consumer will have an additional impact which may make the recession deeper - that's his argument.

lol says it isn't his opinion and then opines exactly that.

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: August 06, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »

Yeah thats a fair point and as far as I've read this is in line with accepted wisdom. Seems to make sense for lots of reasons.

I think it was this bit that kind of discredited everything that came after

Made him sound like one of this lot

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5577 on: August 06, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »

Patrick Collins in the times

Click to see full-size image.

Up until the last sentence I thought that I'd clicked on the other politics thread and it was talking about Trump
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: August 06, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »

breathtaking

lol says it isn't his opinion and then opines exactly that.

I'm trying to explain more clearly the point he was making.

What I do agree about though (and I think every economic model does too) is that consumer confidence and spending is one factor that impacts the growth of the economy.

Frankly that is common sense.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: August 06, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »

Yeah thats a fair point and as far as I've read this is in line with accepted wisdom. Seems to make sense for lots of reasons.

I think it was this bit that kind of discredited everything that came after

Made him sound like one of this lot

It is fairly hard to be positive when all the indicators say the outlook is negative.   These are just feedback loops.  

Brexit causes uncertainty; so companies become cautious, causing growth to slow; causing people in business to become negative; then the population becomes negative; then we have a recession.  

It was pretty much very likely to play out this way, though I am pretty shocked the brexitters seem to have walked away like they have.

That is all before any practicalities of trade/laws/relationships with other countries/their citizens have been resolved.

There was a small chance that we would all rise up and be proud and cause a growth spurt, but guess that isn't happening now.

Fwiw.  Had an interview the other week.  Cancelled, company has stopped hiring.  Though I would say there is more jobs around than I expected, though likely not as many as before brexit.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: