blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180193 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6840 on: December 09, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »

this is a really good read, a debate between a leaver and a remainer. it has one "gasp" moment which is in the image attached but don't let that put you off

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/matthew-parris-vs-matt-ridley-on-brexit-bitterness/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »

paul waugh

Click to see full-size image.

Jeremy Corbyn very quiet today.  The main opposition party losing share at byelections nothing to worry about Jezza? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6842 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »

The thing I wonder about Jeremy Corbyn is, does he genuinely believe in himself?

Among his supporters he's a combination of Jesus and Elvis, can do no wrong and is on his way to Downing Street, but I never get the sense that he has bought into the hype and is only giving this whole leadership thing a go so as not to disappoint his supporters.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: December 09, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 42% (+3)
LAB: 25% (-2)
UKIP: 12% (-2)
LDEM: 11% (+2)
GRN: 4% (-)
(via YouGov / 04 - 05 Dec)

25% is labour's lowest % share in any poll by any pollster since it was last in government

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: December 09, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »

part of a big national centre study out "understanding the leave vote"

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/analysis/understanding-the-leave-vote/

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: December 09, 2016, 03:14:25 PM »

this is a really good read, a debate between a leaver and a remainer. it has one "gasp" moment which is in the image attached but don't let that put you off

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/matthew-parris-vs-matt-ridley-on-brexit-bitterness/

100% agree with everything he says.

Especially this:

"Immigration made a lot of people unhappy, I agree. The argument they then alighted on was that there was a lot more competition and queues in doctors’ surgeries — and the rest. I don’t accept that that actually was their own experience. I think they were looking for a respectable argument behind which to mount the real argument: that there were just too many foreigners around."

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: December 09, 2016, 05:10:48 PM »

Momentum - the driving force making Labour unelectable for the next generation.  Utterly depressing reading, unless you vote Tory.

https://medium.com/@lauracatrionamurray/momentum-vs-inertia-e525c8f9e217#.vylsv3g41

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: December 09, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »

Sigh.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: December 09, 2016, 06:18:41 PM »

Sigh.

Barred? No.....

They will just have to earn the minimum threshold to get them a visa as with people from outside the EU. That is perfectly fair imo, they need to show they can support their spouse without the need for use of public funds. I'd even be tempted to put that number up for people that live in London, can't support much on that salary down there.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: December 09, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

Especially this:

"Immigration made a lot of people unhappy, I agree. The argument they then alighted on was that there was a lot more competition and queues in doctors’ surgeries — and the rest. I don’t accept that that actually was their own experience. I think they were looking for a respectable argument behind which to mount the real argument: that there were just too many foreigners around."

It's such a weak line of argument.  "I won't engage with you on any immigration concern because I've already decided in my head that any disagreement is racism."  Pretty sure remain would have won if it weren't for attitudes like this.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: December 09, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »

Especially this:

It's such a weak line of argument.  "I won't engage with you on any immigration concern because I've already decided in my head that any disagreement is racism."  Pretty sure remain would have won if it weren't for attitudes like this.

100% correct, they are the masters of their own downfall, leave 'em to it I reckon...
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: December 09, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »

Especially this:

100% correct, they are the masters of their own downfall, leave 'em to it I reckon...

Well as a remain vote I can't agree.  This sort of stuff makes me cringe.  If this Parris guy thinks they are wrong on immigration then he should attack their claims that there is more competition or waiting lines.  Otherwise concede there are downsides but point out the upsides of immigration.  Do anything really but run the pathetic line that people are simply racist and that's all there is to it.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: December 09, 2016, 07:09:53 PM »

Especially this:

It's such a weak line of argument.  "I won't engage with you on any immigration concern because I've already decided in my head that any disagreement is racism."  Pretty sure remain would have won if it weren't for attitudes like this.

Well as a remain vote I can't agree.  This sort of stuff makes me cringe.  If this Parris guy thinks they are wrong on immigration then he should attack their claims that there is more competition or waiting lines.  Otherwise concede there are downsides but point out the upsides of immigration.  Do anything really but run the pathetic line that people are simply racist and that's all there is to it.

Yep totally get your point, I think most people know that line is a load of nonsense anyway, but there is a hard core that like to throw it out there at any opportunity. I'm sure they are happy with the sense of smugness they get from doing it so hey ho....
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: December 10, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »

Sigh.

Barred? No.....

They will just have to earn the minimum threshold to get them a visa as with people from outside the EU. That is perfectly fair imo, they need to show they can support their spouse without the need for use of public funds. I'd even be tempted to put that number up for people that live in London, can't support much on that salary down there.

The rich telling the poor who they can or can't fall in love with.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: December 10, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »

Sigh.

Barred? No.....

The rich telling the poor who they can or can't fall in love with.

£18k is hardly a difficult salary to get, work a full time job and some other part time work and you are there pretty easily. Apply for a fiancée visa, get married and 6 months later your other half can get a job on the next visa, her job then counts towards the £18k threshold. It really isn't that hard for anyone with an ounce of resourcefulness.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: