blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 578 579 580 581 [582] 583 584 585 586 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191572 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8715 on: May 23, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »

this was a stunner mid afternoon yesterday

you gov,post manifestos

New Welsh poll

Lab: 44% (+9)
Con: 34% (-7)
Plaid: 9% (-2)
Lib Dems 6% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (+1)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: May 23, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »

Labour are polling at almost the 2005 election % that got them a majority. Still screwed (people think) because of the massive Ukip -> Tory swing

next set of polling going to be very interesting

Note May got kebabbed by Brillo last night, Corbyn is due to face him the friday of a bank holiday weekend, far fewer people likely to be watching anyway and likely to be a much more different tone after overnight events

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: May 23, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »

cliffs:

Andrew Neil: you're rubbish.
Theresa May: Labour would be worse.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/theresa-mays-nightmare-day-u-turn-followed-difficult-interview-yet/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: May 23, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »

couple of interesting extracts from the FT

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: May 23, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »

U-turns are seen as a Bad Thing. But there's not that much evidence to support that supposition,

IE voters care less than political journalists

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/u-turns-matter-less-journalists-think-especially-voters-like-result/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: May 23, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »

What Conservative manifesto says about Dilnot plan for a social care costs cap, now May's policy

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/manifesto2017/Manifesto2017.pdf

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: May 23, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »

in parallel with all this yesterday a lot of the press was going on Corbyn/IRA including one interview with an IRA man which was controversial.

going to stop short of posting any of that today.

My eyes are open wide
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8722 on: May 23, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »

What Conservative manifesto says about Dilnot plan for a social care costs cap, now May's policy

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/manifesto2017/Manifesto2017.pdf

How does labour respond? It can't campaign for a small group of millionaires who will benefit from this change.

I guess it should use the 'tories hurt pensioners' line, and hope that pulls a lot of ex UKIP voters back to labour.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8723 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:41 AM »

With campaigning suspended, and the news agenda moving on once it resumes, last night's bombing will surely impact upon the general election.

Theresa May's worst day by far (U-turn, rabbit in the headlights press conference, then roasted for 30 mins at gas mark 8 at Chez Brillo) will fade into the background and she'll get a couple of days of looking prime-ministerial again.

The one cloud for her might be that this might (and only might) see a bit of a flow of voters back to UKIP from the Tories, which could turn a few marginals.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8724 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »

With campaigning suspended, and the news agenda moving on once it resumes, last night's bombing will surely impact upon the general election.

Theresa May's worst day by far (U-turn, rabbit in the headlights press conference, then roasted for 30 mins at gas mark 8 at Chez Brillo) will fade into the background and she'll get a couple of days of looking prime-ministerial again.

The one cloud for her might be that this might (and only might) see a bit of a flow of voters back to UKIP from the Tories, which could turn a few marginals.

I think whatever gains Labour made will be undone by this. Corbyn is already seen as soft on terrorism at best and a sympathiser at worst. The fact that children were targeted will, IMO, see some parents who would have voted Labour having a last minute change of heart. But you are probably right on the UKIP thing too.

Could get quite ugly for the rest of the campaign, as many of us were already expecting the Tories to ramp up the 'friends with Hamas/IRA' angle towards the end of the month.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: May 23, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »

I think whatever gains Labour made will be undone by this. Corbyn is already seen as soft on terrorism at best and a sympathiser at worst. The fact that children were targeted will, IMO, see some parents who would have voted Labour having a last minute change of heart. But you are probably right on the UKIP thing too.

Could get quite ugly for the rest of the campaign, as many of us were already expecting the Tories to ramp up the 'friends with Hamas/IRA' angle towards the end of the month.

And isn't that part of the problem? 

Being hard on terrorism clearly isn't working it isn't a detterent. 

Why not try a different path, even if we accept that Corbyn was asupporter of the RA he alongside others were  in part responsible for bringing key players to the table. 

The state cn play down his involvement all they like, but SF politicians and supporters of a United Ireland on these shores were making hay with members of the Labour Party in the  UK, Democrats in America and othhers who were seen as progressive. 

I don't see Mrs May as being hard on terror or strong and stable.  Being prepared to detonate a bomb on another country for the sake of showing you are a strong leader isn't themark of a leader in my view. 

I won'tote Labour, but I really am tired of all the mud slinging in politics.  More alarmingly, I am concerned about how the media control the agenda.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: May 23, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »

And isn't that part of the problem? 

Being hard on terrorism clearly isn't working it isn't a detterent. 

Why not try a different path, even if we accept that Corbyn was asupporter of the RA he alongside others were  in part responsible for bringing key players to the table. 

The state cn play down his involvement all they like, but SF politicians and supporters of a United Ireland on these shores were making hay with members of the Labour Party in the  UK, Democrats in America and othhers who were seen as progressive. 

I don't see Mrs May as being hard on terror or strong and stable.  Being prepared to detonate a bomb on another country for the sake of showing you are a strong leader isn't themark of a leader in my view. 

I won'tote Labour, but I really am tired of all the mud slinging in politics.  More alarmingly, I am concerned about how the media control the agenda.

I think we've just got to accept that terrorism is part and parcel of living in the UK in the 21st century.

There is no solution as far as I can see.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: May 23, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »

There are only two instances in modern history where the 'fight' against terrorism has been 'won'. In Northan Ireland and in the Spanish Basque region, neither were overcome by war but by bringing them to the negotiating table.
Granted this form of terror is somewhat different and maybe can't be solved in the same manner but, its food for thought. Because what the west has been doing for the last 10 years clearly isn't working, perhaps we should try something different. So agree with some of the sentiments here.

exstream

View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: May 23, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »

ban religion and section anyone that 'believes'
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: May 23, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »

ban religion and section anyone that 'believes'

+1
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 580 581 [582] 583 584 585 586 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: