blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 835 836 837 838 [839] 840 841 842 843 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180378 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12570 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »

Windrush

I don't think we have talked about that enough on here have we?

A large majority of voters favour fair treatment for people who were here legally, or here since kids (hence not responsible for their circumstances).

Unfair, even vicious, treatment of people in these categories is baked into hostile environment. So it is a political disaster.

The power of a basic sense of justice is obvious when politicians - incl the Home Sec - are presented with these cases. They squirm.They deflect. They know this is wrong at a gut level.

Yet still their PM forces them to persist in a policy *which will keep generating this*

Every week, every month the hostile environment policy continues without fundamental reform is another drop of acid eroding long term prospects of the Conservatives with the large majority of voters who see its current application is obviously unjust.

Sooner they realise that the better for them

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: April 26, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »

Powerful stuff  on Corbyn and anti-semitism https://capx.co/Nf0Vy

CapX is a "Conservative" site, for disclosure

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »

May could concede a customs union & dare Boris to resign

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-customs-union-tory-conservative-brexit-boris-johnson-a8321466.html

(me if she does she has big problems with the DUP though)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »

Excl: Cabinet agrees May’s risky plan to publish long Brexit trade deal wish list in a bid to outmanoeuvre Brussels;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6144554/pm-50-page-dossier-brexit-trade-demands/

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: April 26, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »

Windrush

I don't think we have talked about that enough on here have we?

A large majority of voters favour fair treatment for people who were here legally, or here since kids (hence not responsible for their circumstances).

Unfair, even vicious, treatment of people in these categories is baked into hostile environment. So it is a political disaster.

The power of a basic sense of justice is obvious when politicians - incl the Home Sec - are presented with these cases. They squirm.They deflect. They know this is wrong at a gut level.

Yet still their PM forces them to persist in a policy *which will keep generating this*

Every week, every month the hostile environment policy continues without fundamental reform is another drop of acid eroding long term prospects of the Conservatives with the large majority of voters who see its current application is obviously unjust.

Sooner they realise that the better for them

Yep its a massive fuck up for sure.

Why cant politicians each humble pie and go the extra mile? I think they would get more respect if they did.

May should hold her hands up and look at an amnesty for people that have been here long term.

Boris seems to suggest a 10 year period for anyone including illegal immigrants but if it was say 15 or 20 years, that would perhaps be a acceptable compromise which would help sort the mess and accommodate the Windrush people.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12575 on: April 26, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »

I don’t follow politics all that much but I find this whole Labour anti-Semitism (jew (my phone autocorrected that to new so it’s guilty too)) thing odd. Is it that big a deal or another media thing being constantly brought up? I can’t imagine the tories are any better?

Totally agree. The whole thing seems blown up into a much bigger issue than it warrants. Does Anti-Semitism exist to any real extent in the UK? I'm not aware of ever coming across it or anyone who was really anti-Jew to the extent of discriminating against them. There are other groups who have a much rougher deal in that they definitely do attract discrimination amongst certain groups. Seems to me that some Jews are very vocal and are on the lookout for anything they can call Anti-Semitism, irrespective of whether it really is or not. They currently have an opportunity due to support from media who it suits to get stuck in for political reasons.

I don't think Labour (as such) has a problem with anti-semitism, I think The Left does (with it's obvious representation in Labour).

Many on the left have a problem with 'The Man' and all it's representations such as big business and big banks (etc.).

Many anti-semites associate Jews with 'The Man' (and big businesses and big banks etc).

This is why the emphasis is on Labour and anti-semitism.

Similarly there might be many more garden variety racists who seen the Conservatives talk tough on immigration and benefit clampdowns and in their minds they associate immigrants with taking all the benefits; so they veer towards the Conservatives.

Labour seems to have a particular problem though. When the racist Tories want to stand as councillors or MPs (and the like), the selection people see the racism (most of the time) and rejects them. When Labour selection people see anti-semitism they don't see it as much of a problem.

Part of the problem is the labelling itself - racism against Jews is called anti-semitism but racism against every other minority is just called racism; which fits in perfectly with the idea that 'there's not much of it, so is it really a problem'. If there's racism in Labour, or the Conservatives, or any other organisation - it's a problem. If there was an outcry against racism in the Conservatives I don't think many people would be measuring the amount of racism to decide whether it's an issue or not.

Yes, the Left has always had a large anti-Israel faction (which comes from support for Palestinians and the general 'pro downtrodden oppressed people' thinking). Most of these will, of course, not be anti-Jewish but if you were anti-Jewish, it's a good movement to be a part of to make you feel as though you're on the forces of good.

Labour under Corbyn has also been attractive to groups not traditionally super-involved in mainstream politics - fringe-Left people (who will have fringe views) and Muslims (who are also less likely to have love for Israel). More of these people being involved will result in more incidents of anti-Semitism.

As for why this is getting almost no cut-through the the general population, I think that's because people just don't consider Jewish people in this country to be an oppressed minority. When black, Muslim and Polish people are getting spat at/attacked in the street because of who they are, a few nasty tweets just aren't going to cut it.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: April 27, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »

Amber Rudd stumbles toward total ineptitude over Windrush

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/26/amber-rudd-stumbles-toward-total-ineptitude-over-windrush?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1524764983

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »

The customs union was mentioned just once in Vote Leave's 53 "key speeches, interviews and op-eds" -

" the Brexiteers have no mandate for leaving it."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/04/why-brexiteers-have-no-mandate-leaving-eu-customs-union

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »

There is a 20% chance of the Brexit talks collapsing according to one senior DexEU figure

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/04/theresa-may-should-fear-a-brexiteer-who-feels-betrayed/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: April 27, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »

If you gather three Liberal Democrats in a room, you will hear at least five opinions about what Vince Cable is getting wrong.

But he has inherited difficult legacies,

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/04/what-has-happened-liberal-democrats

My eyes are open wide
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: April 27, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »

If you gather three Liberal Democrats in a room, you will hear at least five opinions about what Vince Cable is getting wrong.

But he has inherited difficult legacies,

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/04/what-has-happened-liberal-democrats

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Made me think, has there ever been a time when the leaders of the three main parties have been so collectively crap?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: April 27, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »

Britain's economic weakness - the slowest growth for five years - is caused by a lot more than snow.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2018/04/britain-s-economic-weakness-can-t-be-blamed-snow

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: April 27, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »

GDP shock: UK economic growth almost grinds to halt in first three months... 0.1% GDP growth in Q1 2018 - worst figure for six years

My eyes are open wide
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12583 on: April 27, 2018, 06:00:56 PM »

The Brexit dept have consulted a grand total of zero external companies about sourcing a tech solution to the Irish border issue

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-department-fails-to-consult-on-technical-solutions-to-irish-border/
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: April 27, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »

The Brexit dept have consulted a grand total of zero external companies about sourcing a tech solution to the Irish border issue

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-department-fails-to-consult-on-technical-solutions-to-irish-border/

Very good. Hot on the heels of Amber Rudd.   

Labour going for the jugular right now, unfortunately they are only aiming at their own.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 837 838 [839] 840 841 842 843 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: