blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272582 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 910 911 912 913 [914] 915 916 917 918 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2194907 times)
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13695 on: August 18, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »

So Remain have illustrated there is absolutely no benefit to the UK of having the Scotland as a member. They have also detailed that we disagree about everything and hold up initiative after initiative. The UK themselves have shown through the negotiations that they don't care for our continued membership. They have threatened us and been obstinate. Want to punish us and make an example of us.

Really is this a union that we want to stay part of? It's clear because we offer no benefit that our negotiating position is terribly weak, it's clear we don't matter, that our input is irrelevant. So the Remain position appears to be that we should sacrifice our principles and be pushed around, cow down for the $$$. Nah, more convinced than ever that Leave is correct because if we aren't a valued partner let's change the situation and make new partnerships where we have value and respect thanks. Like staying with a domineering wife you don't love because you're too scared to leave her, so you stay under the thumb being told what to do. That might be how Remain like to roll but no thanks to that. 

(Would this not also be true)

The difference is that the Scotland voted to stay as part of the UK, and the UK voted to leave the EU.

What you seem to be saying is that referendum votes are only relevant if you agree with the result.

n

No, the result is not the issue, it’s the problems that are the same that caused the need for the vote that are relevant, and the cognative dissonance between the two votes that is illustrative.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: August 19, 2018, 09:37:58 AM »

Retail Sales up 3.7% YOY exceeding expectations by about 1% coupled with lowest unemployment since 1975.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: August 19, 2018, 10:01:05 AM »

Retail Sales up 3.7% YOY exceeding expectations by about 1% coupled with lowest unemployment since 1975.

We haven't left yet

the BoE has been QE'ing

Big net falls in Euro migration are causing many industries problems

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: August 19, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »

apologies, just reporting some good news facts actually happening now as opposed to project fear speculation potentially happening in the future.

That said, is a big net fall in Euro migration causing further strain on social infrastructure? Or is that perhaps another positive.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: August 19, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »

“Leave voters will not thank us for delivering a Brexit that makes them worse off or undermines their fragile economic security. Remain voters may never forgive us.”

George Freeman, one of the Tory party’s most thoughtful MPs, on his party’s existence.

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2018/08/george-freeman-its-time-to-choose-between-a-conservative-brexit-or-a-ukip-one.html

Meanwhile reports that Leave.eu's 88,000 members being encouraged to join the conservative party to ensure a hard brexit should there be a leadership vote pre-march 2019

Worrying times.

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #13700 on: August 19, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »

“Leave voters will not thank us for delivering a Brexit that makes them worse off or undermines their fragile economic security. Remain voters may never forgive us.”

George Freeman, one of the Tory party’s most thoughtful MPs, on his party’s existence.

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2018/08/george-freeman-its-time-to-choose-between-a-conservative-brexit-or-a-ukip-one.html

Meanwhile reports that Leave.eu's 88,000 members being encouraged to join the conservative party to ensure a hard brexit should there be a leadership vote pre-march 2019

Worrying times.

"Brexit can be the springboard to a golden age of 21st-century Conservatism"

"Get it right and Brexit could be a moment of renewal of Conservatism"

"to make this a moment of inspiring One Nation renewal capable of inspiring those who didn’t vote for Brexit"

"it’s time for something bold and radical: a new start for a new Britain"

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: August 20, 2018, 11:46:32 PM »

"Brexit can be the springboard to a golden age of 21st-century Conservatism"

"Get it right and Brexit could be a moment of renewal of Conservatism"

"to make this a moment of inspiring One Nation renewal capable of inspiring those who didn’t vote for Brexit"

"it’s time for something bold and radical: a new start for a new Britain"

By the ERGs own admission the potential benefits of Brexit will be realised over decades, not years. Talk of 'moments' and 'springboards' is just hot air. Like it or loathe it, this will never be over for either side until there's another vote.

A new start for Britain I can see, it'll definitely be the start of something new. Trouble is, it seems to me that we just swap one set of problems for another. Now the new set of problems (unemployment & more acute pressure on the exchequer as tax revenues fall) we can at least theoretically solve on our own, whereas further political integration with the EU we couldn't.

The trouble is, the same electorate that bought us Brexit also resoundingly defeated Mrs Mays plan to use peoples wealth to pay for their own care.

Its certainly possible for there to be some sort of New Deal born out of a bit of Brexit spirit, but getting people to vote to pay for it? I'm not convinced.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: August 21, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »

apologies, just reporting some good news facts actually happening now as opposed to project fear speculation potentially happening in the future.

That said, is a big net fall in Euro migration causing further strain on social infrastructure? Or is that perhaps another positive.

"The number of EU nationals working in the UK is falling, leaving a skills shortage. And the government is doing too little to stop it." writes maikebohn in the New Statesman

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2018/08/brexodus-real-and-it-will-hurt-uk

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »

Leaked letter between NHS chiefs accuses government of "radio silence" and "mixed messages" on Brexit planning, and warns that current plans threaten pharmaceutical supply chains, disease control, and the NHS' EEA workforce

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: August 21, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »

"The number of EU nationals working in the UK is falling, leaving a skills shortage. And the government is doing too little to stop it." writes maikebohn in the New Statesman

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2018/08/brexodus-real-and-it-will-hurt-uk

Another positive of Brexit will be that the government will need to actively address a skills shortage in our workforce

As we can see this problem was papered over by using migration labour

Great opportunity to improve the skills of British labour and keep that revenue in the British economy rather than losing it abroad

As we

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: August 21, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »

% who agree "completely free us from EU rules/free movement even if means economic disruption"

UKIP 90%
Conservative leavers 75%
All Leavers 66%
Plaid Cymru 63%
All Conservatives 57%
Labour leavers 53%

Opinium Aug 14

(!)

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »

Another positive of Brexit will be that the government will need to actively address a skills shortage in our workforce

As we can see this problem was papered over by using migration labour

Great opportunity to improve the skills of British labour and keep that revenue in the British economy rather than losing it abroad

As we

Since I don't really believe that trickle down economics works fast enough to benefit the whole population i am not really bothered by skills shortages in business per se. In public services there may be some very short term issues (pretty unlikely) but in reality, these will be solved pretty quickly by supply/demand and people will still come to the UK because it will remain a very attractive destination over time for people who wish to benefit economically but don't want to emigrate for good.

Some cracking points made in the article though:

"Kerstin is worried. When the German special needs teaching assistant saw the news about the biggest annual drop in EU nationals working in the UK, her thoughts turned to the large number of Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian and Hungarian children at her school.

She describes them as hard-working children – from hard-working families – who make up healthy enough numbers to keep the school, and its funding and teaching jobs, going. This will undoubtedly change in the near future"

I don't quite know how to address the logic fail in this but obvs, poor Kerstin

"Therefore those who rejoice and say EU citizens staying away will force inward investment and British people into such jobs are misguided. It will take a generation to fix structural issues, such as the education system, and the UK will be reliant on foreign-trained immigrants for years to come. The Romanian doctor will simply be replaced by an Indian doctor."

Personally, with my heritage and work experience, I'd feel pretty sanguine at the thought of controlled immigration of as many Indian professionals as makes sense to come here instead of Romanian professionals. To be clear, I also love and admire Romanian professionals and they would be welcome too if they would like to make a living here, and we think society would benefit from their skills.

"Among those planning to leave is French sculptor, Laure: “I'm just an unworthy migrant in the eyes of the Home Office so I'm leaving after 32 years here.”

This made me laugh more than fromaged me off, au revoir

I'd be quite happy for freedom of inward movement to the UK from the EU if there was a forced expatriation of one remainer for every EU national arriving
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:10:04 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »

The above problems for EU nationals are very simply solved by the EU cutting a deal

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: August 23, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »

Christ

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-governments-preparations-for-a-no-deal-scenario

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: August 23, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »

the key points unrolled

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1032576458642915328.html

My eyes are open wide