blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 1073 1074 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197657 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16035 on: January 04, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »

Valiant attempt by Yougov to poll on the back stop

unsurprisingly the "don't knows" have it

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16036 on: January 04, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »

Its interesting. I was only chatting to a Remoaner friend just yesterday and we both seemed to be seeing a lot more articles that can only be labelled as " it might not be that bad after all, and we are making the right decision, even if it will hurt us a fair bit"

He was still moaning though.

Just saying like

Do you have any links to articles like this?

I'm genuinely intrigued as to whether it's the source of the articles we're reading and, in particular, the target audience to which they're aimed at.

Ignoring those which are obviously biased in one direction or another, which in fairness eliminates a decent volume of analysis, my experience is that the more balanced articles generally highlight much more downside, and relatively few positives, particularly as the no-deal scenario becomes an increasingly likely scenario.

I can partly attribute this to the fact that Brexit options are currently a negotiated deal that no-one seems to like or an un-negotiated one that most people seem to fear, but I've read nothing that articulates why either of these outcomes ultimately concludes as us having made the right decision.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #16037 on: January 04, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »

a good bbc reality check article

Brexit: Could Channel Ports cope with no deal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46739895

Having read the article it seems like a good thing. Apparently at the moment lorries just drive off the ferry and are on the motorway in minutes with no checks whatsoever.

Surely at least having the threat of being checked is a bonus? It's scary when you think of what must have come through over the years without the slightest concern of being stopped.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16038 on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »

If there is no deal doesn’t that create some of the same problems on the other side of the Channel/North Sea?

As ever we are assuming that our closest neighbours and trading partners have zero interest in finding solutions to what will be mutual problems.
All those JIT components travel both ways at the moment. That isn’t going to just stop on 29/03/19 is it?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16039 on: January 05, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »

If there is no deal doesn’t that create some of the same problems on the other side of the Channel/North Sea?

As ever we are assuming that our closest neighbours and trading partners have zero interest in finding solutions to what will be mutual problems.
All those JIT components travel both ways at the moment. That isn’t going to just stop on 29/03/19 is it?

It does but they have been preparing for far longer than we have

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16040 on: January 05, 2019, 10:09:00 AM »

Having read the article it seems like a good thing. Apparently at the moment lorries just drive off the ferry and are on the motorway in minutes with no checks whatsoever.

Surely at least having the threat of being checked is a bonus? It's scary when you think of what must have come through over the years without the slightest concern of being stopped.

delays. whole swathes of industry working on JIT with no incorporation of hours of checking delays into the manufacturing process

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16041 on: January 05, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »

Marina Hyde gets stuck into Grayling and Javid

bit like shooting fish in a barrel really

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/04/no-deal-brexit-dragons-den-chris-grayling-javid-tory?CMP=share_btn_tw

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: January 05, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »

Long-ish read following several chats with Tory backbenchers this week. Increasing numbers numbers are considering a no-deal Brexit as a viable 'plan B'.

there is some scary stuff in here

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/increasing-number-of-tory-mps-considering-no-deal-brexit-as-a-viable-plan-b_uk_5c2f6bbce4b0407e908ad874?3k

the quote that has gone viral is from a leaver ex Cabinet minister who says

“We won’t be able to get certain foods like bananas or tomatoes but it’s not like we won’t be able to eat. And we’ll be leaving at a time when British produce is beginning to come into season so it’s the best possible time to leave.”

not that i am a farming expert, but i did think April-May were known as difficult months (in terms of less self sufficency and higher reliance on imports) as we've used up supplies over the winter and the next domestic crop doesn't come out of the ground until late summer

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:51 AM »

Ch4's Brexit film - airs Monday - is reputedly excellent. starts Benedict Cummberbund and reputedly skewers everyone

My eyes are open wide
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #16044 on: January 05, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »

Messages on noticeboards have changed...

this morning

Might or might not happen..... but not an official Dept of Heath notice

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #16045 on: January 05, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »

Also, our trade with our trading partners comprises some of their trade, but all of ours. Interruptions to it are problematic for them, but critical for us.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16046 on: January 05, 2019, 11:36:39 PM »

Also, our trade with our trading partners comprises some of their trade, but all of ours. Interruptions to it are problematic for them, but critical for us.

So 100% of our trade is with the EU?
Damn, if only we’d known that in 2016.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #16047 on: January 06, 2019, 01:28:23 AM »

So 100% of our trade is with the EU?
Damn, if only we’d known that in 2016.

Yeah, I was thinking of the world rather than the EU. The point still applies - interruptions to trade are problematic for them, but critical for us.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16048 on: January 06, 2019, 05:32:14 AM »

Hey, it’s the end of the year so let’s throw some darts at the board and make some guesses for the new Year.

(I voted remain, but  the EU is not a great thing to be a part of)

A second referendum will not solve anything, the country will still be split in two.

Best for Britain is anything not run by JC. I can live with a Tom Watson govt but not a Shamus Milne communist one.

Neeko, just going to have o disagree with you a little.

I think a second vote will solve it all, because it currently isn't going to be solved by MP's. May's deal isn't wanted by MP's or the public, people are strictly opposed to no deal and it's potential consequences. We are split in two in everything, but together on the dismay at the current deal. Therefore a second vote would solve it all, pit it all to bed, and I think the vote should simply be Remain v No deal. Yes, I should point out I want us to remain, but the other options looks pretty divisive at the same time. So, I think we have to double down on what the public want through another vote.

However, I do agree with you about Jeremy. He is useless, and a horrendous decision maker.

PS - I think it's pretty disappointing to see that this topic has mainly come to people posting links. Can we not engge without the help of other peoples opinions, if not, then what's the point of this forum?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16049 on: January 06, 2019, 08:09:10 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 1073 1074 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: