blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 1135 1136 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180589 times)
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #16965 on: March 28, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »

Last nights news but this is a great graphic IMO.

Click to see full-size image.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16966 on: March 28, 2019, 06:16:47 PM »

I guess most MPs have a better understanding of Brexit than the majority of regular joes

When the experts fail to find a solution we figure the right move is ask the average joes to cast their knowing eyes over the issue in another referendum instead?

It’s like when a mechanic can’t find the problem with your car driving it to the church so a gaggle of my nuns can look under the bonnet instead

You are massively overrating MP’s. What would make them knowledgeable on these subjects?

It’s their job.

You aren’t suggesting regular people are more qualified to decide are you?

because you don’t agree with referendum as governance and you think people are too ill-informed to grasp complex issues

So your stance is you don’t think people or MPs are qualified to decide.

Good one.

MP’s are (well) placed to decide, because they are elected, not because they have great insight or knowledge. That’s how democracy works and while it is the best system we have, it’s clearly deeply flawed. MP’s have much less to do with running the country than you’d think.

Nice easy example: Gove knows close to nothing about Environment Regulation and he’s genuinely bright.

Nice easy example for you bro

Most MPs have probably read some or all of Theresa May’s proposal

Most average joes haven’t

Thus most MPs do indeed have greater insight/knowledge regarding the deal than most average joes

Yeah that’s fair, you have me on that. Also we’ve identified why representative democracy is a good idea. If they’re better informed than average Joe’s it seems sensible to leave the big calls to them. Like for example if they called off Brexit.

Far fewer MP’s will have read the WA than you’d think though.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #16967 on: March 28, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »

Now that must have been an interesting discussion with the whips this morning.

"I was pissed and went through the wrong door?"

EDIT: Ken Clarke.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:21:46 PM by Longines » Logged
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16968 on: March 28, 2019, 07:30:12 PM »

Since the negotiations to leave were framed as Divorce, then discussion about the future, there was always going to be a blind brexit to an extent.

Short of no deal or revoke I think it's quite smart of the Government to present the WA for a vote in isolation - it will probably lose of course but it does force non 'unionist' MPs to vote against Brexit in a more or less conceptual way.

If you believe the logic of this, then it really does need to fail (for anyone not supporting her deal).  Passing it potentially leads to a tricky legal limbo, not envisaged in the agreement to extend A50.

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1111323277107044352

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16969 on: March 28, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »

Since the negotiations to leave were framed as Divorce, then discussion about the future, there was always going to be a blind brexit to an extent.

Short of no deal or revoke I think it's quite smart of the Government to present the WA for a vote in isolation - it will probably lose of course but it does force non 'unionist' MPs to vote against Brexit in a more or less conceptual way.

If you believe the logic of this, then it really does need to fail (for anyone not supporting her deal).  Passing it potentially leads to a tricky legal limbo, not envisaged in the agreement to extend A50.

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1111323277107044352

That's why I think the plan is quite smart, depending on your starting point of course.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16970 on: March 28, 2019, 09:45:49 PM »

It isn't far off even money a general election happening before Brexit.   What price the Tories bunging the DUP another billion or so to guarantee their suppport?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16971 on: March 28, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »

It isn't far off even money a general election happening before Brexit.   What price the Tories bunging the DUP another billion or so to guarantee their suppport?   

Rich people usually win life........

Damn should have waited for Friday before posting that to make sure we had a pissed up fully riled kuku....   
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16972 on: March 28, 2019, 10:00:51 PM »

Surely now the precedent is established, they might spend a lot more and maybe even try and buy other MP’s as well? There’s no real ceiling on spending on it. Obviously buying the DUP has been an epic shambles, like everything May has done as Home Secretary and PM.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16973 on: March 28, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »

Surely now the precedent is established, they might spend a lot more and maybe even try and buy other MP’s as well? There’s no real ceiling on spending on it. Obviously buying the DUP has been an epic shambles, like everything May has done as Home Secretary and PM.

Please feel free to ignore this, not a great post.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16974 on: March 28, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »

Damn should have waited for Friday before posting that to make sure we had a pissed up fully riled kuku....   

It’s the exchequer’s money that is spent on bribing the DUP, it has nothing (directly) to do with rich people. I know you’ll explain that you knew this and were joking (not much of a joke obvs), I thought I’d explain anyway.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16975 on: March 28, 2019, 10:54:43 PM »

It isn't far off even money a general election happening before Brexit.   What price the Tories bunging the DUP another billion or so to guarantee their suppport?  

It’s the exchequer’s money that is spent on bribing the DUP, it has nothing (directly) to do with rich people. I know you’ll explain that you knew this and were joking (not much of a joke obvs), I thought I’d explain anyway.

Rich people pay most taxes, that’s where the exchequer gets the biggest chunk of their money from to ‘bribe’ the DUP, I appreciate you may not pay as much tax in your job looking for the smelliest turd in London each working day but that the truth.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16976 on: March 28, 2019, 11:01:17 PM »

It isn't far off even money a general election happening before Brexit.   What price the Tories bunging the DUP another billion or so to guarantee their suppport?  

Rich people pay most taxes, that’s where the exchequer gets the biggest chunk of their money from to ‘bribe’ the DUP, I appreciate you may not pay as much tax in your job looking for the smelliest turd in London each working day but that the truth.

😂 It had been a good day for thread discussion. With Adz sadly gone and Mantis being kinda sensible, at least we’re down to one bleating simpleton for the timebeing.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16977 on: March 28, 2019, 11:05:31 PM »

😂 It had been a good day for thread discussion. With Adz sadly gone and Mantis being kinda sensible, at least we’re down to one bleating simpleton for the timebeing.

No worries, good luck with that turd tomorrow, I may curl out a special one in London after a rancid curry tonight to make sure you feel like you have achieved something special 
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16978 on: March 29, 2019, 02:09:31 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16979 on: March 29, 2019, 07:06:44 AM »

At your age you should be in bed way before 2am.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 1135 1136 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: