blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 1168 1169 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180479 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17460 on: May 26, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »

As someone wanting to control immigration I don't see that this is racist. Is that all you see? If so is it just because no one is white?

The picture has nothing to with Britain or Europe but it’s racist and it appeals to racists.

Yep. Very lazy easy narrative.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: May 26, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »

I agree with all that Mark, but still don’t feel that the poster is racist. Perhaps he should have used a picture of the odd small dingy bobbing towards the white cliffs, but then that wouldn’t indicate a swarm I guess.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: May 26, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »

As someone wanting to control immigration I don't see that this is racist. Is that all you see? If so is it just because no one is white?

He used a picture of Syrian refugees knowing full well that they had no rights to come into the UK and it's not relevant. There is a reason they are not white, the picture is a symbol of the people that scare the exact demographic he wanted to influence.

I am pro controlling immigration but this was calculated to feed into the "swarm" and "plague" narrative that was in the press a lot at the time.

No doubt true but relevant to the EU's inept handling of the refugee crisis as well.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: May 26, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »

Votes have been counted in many London boroughs. They cannot submit until 10pm but the Lib Dems have done very well.

This isn’t surprising considering London voted to remain & I think is a labour area.

As for the Racist Party, I genuinely think they will be in low 30’s.

You say low 30s as if it is a poor result

No. You are trying to interpret something. For a new party, low 30s is an amazing result. I do have a lot of inside info though, and I’m confident the racist party will be -35%.

Aah, OK, sorry for putting words in your mouth

sola virtus nobilitat
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17464 on: May 26, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »

If you use language, imagery and rhetoric in your campaigning which is designed to appeal to the racist element in society then it's a bit rich to start clutching your pearls when you get accused of being racist.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: May 26, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »

I don't think the poster on it's own is racist in the same way I don't think a monkey dressed as a human is racist. Set in the context it was set in, I think the undertones are intentional.

FWIW I doubt Nigel Farage is actually racist himself, just smart and knows what his base wants to here and what plays well in the media.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: May 26, 2019, 10:09:43 PM »

He used a picture of Syrian refugees knowing full well that they had no rights to come into the UK and it's not relevant. There is a reason they are not white, the picture is a symbol of the people that scare the exact demographic he wanted to influence.

I am pro controlling immigration but this was calculated to feed into the "swarm" and "plague" narrative that was in the press a lot at the time.

To me it reminds me that I can't get an appointment at the doctors like I used to , or there will be more people probably expecting me to tolerate their way of life, rather than integrate into ours.

I have no doubt some will lap up your proposed narrative, but very few are that simple, just good people that care about themselves and their family and how this will all affect their futures.

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: May 26, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »

Do show me something Farage has done that’s racist! Sure, some of his tactics have been a little unpalatable but I wouldn’t go further than perhaps call it ‘extreme patriotism’.

See how he ditched UKIP when they allowed an actual racist (Yaxley-Lennon) into the fold? And didn’t he have a German wife? Or do you think he’s just racist to browns?

I hope you dont think everyone who votes for the brexit party is racist...

Farage holds the same views now, as he did when he was in UKIP. As the saying goes, not everyone who voted Brexit is racist, but all the racists voted Brexit.

I really would like to see how brave a keyboard warrior like you would be in a room full of Brexiteers.

I suppose racists don’t like to be labelled racists. But of course Adz, your response doesn’t surprise me. You’re inciting violence, typical Brexit yob.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: May 26, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »

I don't think the poster on it's own is racist in the same way I don't think a monkey dressed as a human is racist. Set in the context it was set in, I think the undertones are intentional.

FWIW I doubt Nigel Farage is actually racist himself, just smart and knows what his base wants to here and what plays well in the media.

I doubt Farage is a racist as some people all hope. One of his closest allies is a guy called Raheem Kassam. Not the bestie you would imagine for a racist eh....

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: May 26, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »

Do show me something Farage has done that’s racist! Sure, some of his tactics have been a little unpalatable but I wouldn’t go further than perhaps call it ‘extreme patriotism’.

See how he ditched UKIP when they allowed an actual racist (Yaxley-Lennon) into the fold? And didn’t he have a German wife? Or do you think he’s just racist to browns?

Farage holds the same views now, as he did when he was in UKIP. As the saying goes, not everyone who voted Brexit is racist, but all the racists voted Brexit.

I really would like to see how brave a keyboard warrior like you would be in a room full of Brexiteers.

I suppose racists don’t like to be labelled racists. But of course Adz, your response doesn’t surprise me. You’re inciting violence, typical Brexit yob.

You can call me a racist all you like Aaron. My mate Chris, who I played golf with today and a black guy, might disagree, but you know me so much better.

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: May 26, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »

You can call me a racist all you like Aaron. My mate Chris, who I played golf with today and a black guy, might disagree, but you know me so much better.

I didn’t call you racist.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: May 26, 2019, 10:17:00 PM »

Regarding doctors appointments, I would suggest the shortage of doctors/GPS in this country has much more to do with it than ‘new’/recent immigration. Most immigrants are of working age so rarely need appointments. I’m not pointing fingers but I would guess you’re average pensioner has 5x the number of GPs appointments per year than the middle age or young economic migrants.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: May 26, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »

To me it reminds me that I can't get an appointment at the doctors like I used to , or there will be more people probably expecting me to tolerate their way of life, rather than integrate into ours.

I have no doubt some will lap up your proposed narrative, but very few are that simple, just good people that care about themselves and their family and how this will all affect their futures.

You literally voted for a government that stopped paying doctors.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:54 PM »

You literally voted for a government that stopped paying doctors.

While immigrants provided more money than non immigrants to to be able to spend on doctors. Our government decided not to spend the extra money immigrants provided on doctors.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: May 26, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »

There’s a comma or two missing in that one, apologies to all who misunderstand the sentiment.
Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 1168 1169 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: