blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 1305 1306 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180538 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19515 on: August 07, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »

UK food industry has asked Government to waive or suspend aspects of competition law to allow for it to coordinate food supply in the event of a disruptive No Deal Brexit at the end of October. Would be illegal, they say, at present.

Leading food suppliers and retailers have repeatedly asked the Government for clarity on this matter - and there are precedents for the waiving or changing of competition law during fuel, oil and financial crises.

One top retailer told the BBC: “at the extreme people like me and people from Government will have to decide where lorries go to keep food supply chain going. And in that scenario we’d have to work with competitors, and the Government would have to suspend competition laws”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49258852

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19516 on: August 07, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »

we might be seeing a lot more of Vernon through September

"the 8 biggest constitutional questions facing British politics all answered in *80* seconds

By top guru Professor Vernon Bogdanor

- Can we change PM without an election
- Can Johnson ignore the law
- What happens if Johnson refuses to resign even if a successor found"

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsPolitics/status/1158846423535947778?s=20

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19517 on: August 07, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »

Rebecca Wrong-daily causes a furore by misunderstanding what a government of national unity involves

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1158767410909986821?s=20

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19518 on: August 07, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »

but this a good one out this morning

https://armchairideology.blogspot.com/2019/08/there-was-lot-of-noise-last-night-about.html

"On Rebecca Long-Bailey, and why both the Labour and Conservative leadership might see allowing a no deal as politically advantageous"

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19519 on: August 07, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »

and then comes this

"The obvious failings of a ‘government of national unity’"

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/the-obvious-failings-of-a-government-of-national-unity/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19520 on: August 07, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »

‘Britain is desperate. You don’t quit your job before you get a new one, which you’ve done. There is no chance of US trade making up for what you lose with Brexit’

Larry Summers, former US trade secretary,speaking yesterday

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19521 on: August 07, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »

More on Monday's EU27 Brexit meeting. Diplomats were told that the PM's sherpa David Frost said the new govt wasn't bound by commitments made during the May era, such as the need for a "legally operable" Irish border solution.

He's reported to have said this was a "conceptual mistake" made by the previous government. This explains the "we've gone back three years" comments from the EU's negotiators.

--

there are contrasting viewpoints on this.

One says - the agreement was made. That negotiations were closed. both parties waiting for signature. UK couldn't pass it. If one then changes their mind (May to Johnson, different view) it may not be re-opened

The other says - Agreement involves ratification by the House of Commons and the European Parliament.. that didn’t happen, so there is no formal agreement.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19522 on: August 07, 2019, 12:01:41 PM »

Peston writes

"Why Johnson is confident he will deliver Brexit, deal or (more likely) no deal"

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-06/why-johnson-is-confident-he-will-deliver-brexit-deal-or-more-likely-no-deal-writes-robert-peston/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19523 on: August 07, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »

Watch ⁦Grieve tell ⁦c 4 news⁩ the Queen should sack ⁦Johnson⁩ if he defies a vote of no confidence. We live in interesting times.

(the Queen sacked the Aussie PM in 1975, which i need to go and look at why!)

https://www.channel4.com/news/tory-mp-dominic-grieve-extraordinary-suggestion-from-downing-st-that-pm-who-lost-vote-of-confidence-simply-carries-on-until-general-election

Sept shaping up for the mother of all parliamentary battles it appears
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:35:33 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #19524 on: August 07, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »

More on Monday's EU27 Brexit meeting. Diplomats were told that the PM's sherpa David Frost said the new govt wasn't bound by commitments made during the May era, such as the need for a "legally operable" Irish border solution.

He's reported to have said this was a "conceptual mistake" made by the previous government. This explains the "we've gone back three years" comments from the EU's negotiators.

--

there are contrasting viewpoints on this.

One says - the agreement was made. That negotiations were closed. both parties waiting for signature. UK couldn't pass it. If one then changes their mind (May to Johnson, different view) it may not be re-opened

The other says - Agreement involves ratification by the House of Commons and the European Parliament.. that didn’t happen, so there is no formal agreement.

I’d think this is the correct view.  No contract is enforceable without signatures from all parties.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #19525 on: August 07, 2019, 12:49:55 PM »

Watch ⁦Grieve tell ⁦c 4 news⁩ the Queen should sack ⁦Johnson⁩ if he defies a vote of no confidence. We live in interesting times.

(the Queen sacked the Aussie PM in 1975, which i need to go and look at why!)

The Queen didn't - it was before I was born but if I recall correctly from what I read, the Governor General of Australia did (the Queen's independent representative).

I think it was something like their parliament wouldn't pass a budget and the government wouldn't call an election.

The opposition was installed on the basis that they immediately sort it out and call an election.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19526 on: August 07, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »

Thought Grieve was lol incandescent with underlying rage. He sounded like a pensioner who discovered the bus fare had increased. I mean talk about clutching at straws with his queen to sack pm. Gonna be interesting when it finally happens and there’s no more straws no more blame just a new reality.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #19527 on: August 07, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »

‘Britain is desperate. You don’t quit your job before you get a new one, which you’ve done. There is no chance of US trade making up for what you lose with Brexit’

Larry Summers, former US trade secretary,speaking yesterday

Tbf. This was immediately followed with a pice from a Republican senator talking very positively about a quick deal with the UK.

sola virtus nobilitat
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #19528 on: August 07, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »

Thought Grieve was lol incandescent with underlying rage. He sounded like a pensioner who discovered the bus fare had increased. I mean talk about clutching at straws with his queen to sack pm. Gonna be interesting when it finally happens and there’s no more straws no more blame just a new reality.

Can't wait to hear the frantic phone calls to The Palace on Halloween, with Grieve and Co pleading to speak to Her Maj as Boris needs sacking.

"Sorry, she's out trick or treating with little George and Charlotte, call back tomorrow".

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #19529 on: August 07, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

Johnson decides to turn Britain into a de facto dictatorship and the forum brexiters giggle.
Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 1305 1306 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: